Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NFL Sunday Ticket Offer - Which receiver to get

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tstone

tstone

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:00 PM

Hey, I'm new here and would like some community input.

Currently I have one of the last DirecTV TIVO DVRs from Sept of 2005 and two R10 standard receivers. DirecTV has sent an offer out to existing NFL Ticket customers where they basically offer a choice of one of four free "enhancements" to your directv experience. Right now I'm torn with whether to get a free Directv Plus DVR or a free DirecTV HD-DVR Receiver.

First, I don't currently have a HDTV capable television, but plan on getting one within the year so my first question is will the HDTV DVR work with a normal television?

Second, from a pure DVR and usability standpoint, does one of these devices stand out above the other?

Thirdly, I use Vonage for my phoneline. I know that some receivers work better with it than others. I also know that some receivers will "dial in" over the internet with the right settings. Will one of these new receivers allow me to do that?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:42 PM

First, I don't currently have a HDTV capable television, but plan on getting one within the year so my first question is will the HDTV DVR work with a normal television?

My advice would be since you plan on getting an HDTV, push up your purchase date to just before the NFL Season and get the HR10-250 and get the most out of your new TV. Yes, the HR10-250 can be set to output to 480i, SD quality, but if you're going to get NFL ST and SuperFan for the HD games, you should be watching what you pay for, the NFL in HD.

It's my understanding that the DirecTV Plus DVR don't offer live dual tuner buffers at this point. This is most important when it comes to NFL ST and I'll explain why. I pick 2 HD games that I want to see and set one tuner for one game and the other tuner for the other game. At gametime, I press Pause on the active tuner and use the down directional arrow button to switch to the other. When the first commercial break occurs on that game, I hit Pause and switch to the previously paused tuner and I start to play the other game. I have the thirty second skip programmed in so at the end of the play, I can skip to the next one and also jump through commercials. This is the main instance where buffer on the dual tuners is critical, IMO.

As far as Vonage, the DirecTV Plus DVRs don't phone out, but if you go to the TiVo Community Forums and do a search for Vonage you can see if there are workarounds, like a filter on the phoneline, for the HR10-250.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#3 OFFLINE   mposadas

mposadas

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:15 PM

It's my understanding that the DirecTV Plus DVR don't offer live dual tuner buffers at this point. This is most important when it comes to NFL ST and I'll explain why. I pick 2 HD games that I want to see and set one tuner for one game and the other tuner for the other game. At gametime, I press Pause on the active tuner and use the down directional arrow button to switch to the other. When the first commercial break occurs on that game, I hit Pause and switch to the previously paused tuner and I start to play the other game. I have the thirty second skip programmed in so at the end of the play, I can skip to the next one and also jump through commercials. This is the main instance where buffer on the dual tuners is critical, IMO.

What receiver model is the DirecTV Plus DVR? Is it one of the newer DVRs that does not run Tivo? I'm also trying to figure out which receiver I want to get, if at all. I currently have the HR10-250 for my only hdtv, another directivo (not sure which model) and a toshiba standalone Tivo (SD-H400?). I'd like to get a new DVR to replace the toshiba.

Will DirecTV even give me another HD10-250 if I don't have another hdtv for it?

#4 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:30 PM

What receiver model is the DirecTV Plus DVR? Is it one of the newer DVRs that does not run Tivo?

Yup, the R-15.

Do you have another component, DVI, or HDMI input free on your HDTV? If so, you could connect it to your HDTV, then relocate it if you pick up another.

I'm not sure how exactly the CSR reps are approaching the HR10-250s for customers that don't have HDTVs. To me, if you don't plan on getting an HDTV in the very near future, it doesn't make much sense to get the DVR, especially if you're in the MPEG-4 markets and either don't feel like installing an antenna or you can't pick up all your HD locals with one.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#5 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:44 PM

What receiver model is the DirecTV Plus DVR? Is it one of the newer DVRs that does not run Tivo? I'm also trying to figure out which receiver I want to get, if at all. I currently have the HR10-250 for my only hdtv, another directivo (not sure which model) and a toshiba standalone Tivo (SD-H400?). I'd like to get a new DVR to replace the toshiba.

The DirecTV+ DVR is the R15 which does not have TiVo software (some say it's NDS software from another news corp company while others think DTV invented it). To answer your first question though, it's not a TiVo. Check out the R15 section to get a flavor of how people feel about them.

For pure monthly cost reasons, get another DirecTiVo from wherever you want -- (or the R15) no need paying the subscription for a standalone on top of your DirecTV DVR fee. If you want to see for yourself how the R15 works compared to your DTiVo -- give it a try. Of course anything you get from DTV will be leased and not owned...

As far as DTV "giving" you another HD TiVo, you'll need to invent a story (there are threads around here with folks getting them for "free") or just pay the fee and it will be a "leased" box. You can still buy recievers from many non-DTV sources.

DTV does not really care if you have a HD TV or not. DTV's newest satellites are for MPEG4 and the HD TiVo (and any SD reciever for DTV) is MPEG2. This summer DTV is supposed to release a new MPEG4 HD reciever that will not have TiVo software.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#6 OFFLINE   mposadas

mposadas

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:32 AM

I called DirecTV last week and told them about the Sunday Ticket offer and that I wanted the HR10-250. I said I was considering buying another HDTV in the future but that it wouldn't happen before the install. The CSR didn't seem to care and on Sunday the installer came and swapped out my non-DVR receiver with an HR10-250 and I'm quite happy. The reason why I went with the HD Tivo instead of the R15 for my non-HD TV is because I wanted the Tivo interface. Now I've got 2 HR10-250s and the old DirecTivo. :D They also gave me the Super Fan pack for free.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...