Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv phase 3 dish wiring

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:11 PM

OK, So i installed my HR10-250 HD Tivo this week, but when I did it, I un-hooked the wiring to my secondary receiver (aka the kids receiver) because I currently only have 2 wires running from the dish to the receiver.
The dish is way out at hte corner of my property, and running another wire from there would require about 250' of coax. I don't really want to have to do this.
Can I add a 3x4 switch inline with just the 2 wires in from the dish. I have done this in the past to feed additonal receivers, but I'm not sure it really worked right and the switches I add seem to burn up or something. They quit working after a while. Is there a specific type of switch I should be using to attempt this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:12 PM

Your switch needs to be "cascadable". I don't know if any of the 3X4 switches will work. But I do know that many of them won't work as I have had to remove several while upgrading customers to the phase 3 dish.

#3 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

You need four lines to the switch, and a 4x8 like the Zinwell SAM-4803

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:10 PM

A 3x4 switch will work on the two lines from your dish. HOWEVER, you will only be able to get the 101 sat.

Rant on.
To all who have a triple LNB or 5LNB dish installed, make sure all possible lines are run regardless of need.
Rant off
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:56 AM

I can appreciate the rant. This run was opriginally done with as many lines as the antenna needed, 2 for a dual LNB dish.
It wasn't until I replaced that with a phase 3 that the issue came up. At that point I tried to shortcut running 2 more wires so I can take my medicine.
I went to lowes last night and bought 2 spools fo RG6. I will be running 2 more lines now (even though I only NEED 1 right now, hehe).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...