Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Signal lost at high summer temperature

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vkprabhakar

vkprabhakar

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:59 AM

Every summer when temperature goes really high I loose by dish TV channels. But problem is automatically solved in nights when temperature lowers or in the Winter. Not sure what's happenning? Called Tech support but they had no answers. Any suggestions??

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:03 AM

:welcome_s
What type of dish are you using? There have been similar reports of dishes warping in the heat and people losing signal. If you have a SuperDish it is likely that your local channels have moved off of it and you can replace your dish with a regular Dish500 and get better results.

#3 OFFLINE   vkprabhakar

vkprabhakar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:12 AM

I have two dish 500. One for standard channels (Dual LNB) and another for international channels (single LNB). Both of them are connected together. But I have the same problem with both of them.

#4 OFFLINE   greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:08 AM

I have two dish 500. One for standard channels (Dual LNB) and another for international channels (single LNB). Both of them are connected together. But I have the same problem with both of them.

In a situation like this, I would suspect improperly installed connectors, ruling out a bad LNB because you're having the problem on both dishes. And since it is happening on both dishes, the bad connector is probably between your reciever(s) and your switch. Check your connectors, make sure the dielectric foam of the cable is high enough in the connector to make contact with the ground block or barrel, and also make sure the "stinger" extends beyong the edge of the connector. An improperly installed connector can be sensitive to temperature changes. Good luck.

#5 OFFLINE   hankmack

hankmack

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:55 AM

I had the same problem a year ago. Dish replaced some parts. Installer told me that heat was a problem on some dishes.

#6 OFFLINE   Tmacsatman

Tmacsatman

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:06 AM

I have serviced several jobs with that problem and generally it is a bad connector when the connector gets hot it shrinks and the stinger pulls out of the switch. I replaced the connections and the problem was solved.
Tmac

#7 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:32 AM

Here's an another possible idea.

I was having the same types of problems you are having when it got hot. I had an SW64 switch up in the attic. When it got above a certain temp in the attic the power supply on the power inserter would shut down (as well as the switch) then it would work fine in the morning. I left the switch in the attic but pulled the inserter out and into the house behind the TV where it would stay cool.

Problem solved.
Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#8 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:17 AM

Well it has been at least 115 degrees here in Phoenix many times and is over 100 daily and I have never had this issue, so I would doubt it is heat related.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#9 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:22 AM

Sounds like you have a DP34, since you have a single lnb in one position. There has been a number of DP34 failures from heat.

Since you have provided little specific information, it hard to be more informative.

#10 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:14 AM

<when the connector gets hot it shrinks and the stinger pulls out of the switch>

How did you verify the connector shrinks as the temperature rises?

By stinger, do you mean the solid center conductor of the coax?

How does the shrinking connector pull the solid copper wire out of the F-81(?).

If heat cause the solid copper wire to pull away from the F-81, wasn't the coax stripped improperly, the solid, bare copper wire was too short?

#11 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:14 PM

<when the connector gets hot it shrinks and the stinger pulls out of the switch>

How did you verify the connector shrinks as the temperature rises?

By stinger, do you mean the solid center conductor of the coax?

How does the shrinking connector pull the solid copper wire out of the F-81(?).

If heat cause the solid copper wire to pull away from the F-81, wasn't the coax stripped improperly, the solid, bare copper wire was too short?

Has your temps been above 115 or above 100 on a consistent basis? I have had no issues with these heats in direct sunlight, so again I doubt it is a neat issue, unless you have this stuff mounted on top of a furnace or a fireplace.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#12 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:13 PM

Yes. Temps here during the summer are above 100F.

Was looking for proof about that those assertions.
Nothing I've ever heard of.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...