Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

URGENT HELP NEEDED, Fried Dish?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:00 AM

Here's what I've done-

Installed tripple lnb dish.
Connected receiver straight to dish, peaked dish, everything working fine.
Connected multiswitch, checked signal again it was zero.
Disconnected multiswitch (5x8 zinwell), reconnected dish directly to receiver, signal still 0.
Connected a second receiver, signal still 0.

Help!! Did I fry my dish? Why?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,907 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:28 AM

Sure sounds like you fried your dish. If so, the problem appears to be a bad multiswitch (too much voltage going out to the dish is most likely problem).

I had a bad multiswitch that fried a 3-LNB Phase III dish. Replaced both the dish and the multiswitch, and have been good ever since.

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:35 PM

Did you reset your receiver after you removed the multiswitch? If not, try that.

#4 OFFLINE   D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:21 AM

Try each port on the P3 w/o the MSW in line.

IE>1 single line from one port on LNB to (1) ird /rec. If that port does nothing try the next.

Eliminate the Ground block Also in this test. Barrel connect/coupling around it all together to make one continual run from LNB port to the IRD.

what is the mod# of the Zinwell btw? (important)
Are ya showing 0 on Odd and even transponders?
Is this a new install or addition to a existing system?
whats the EQ rundown and amt of Ird's?

I sugest ANYbody who does their own dish work or troubleshooting/changing of EQ around,additions ect as i read here from time to time, To invest in a 12-20$ *pocket toner*. It Will illiminate all the "chase" and unnessary walking & frustration by simply listening for a 'whistle" at each point of progression/ break point in the system. A quick narrow down to where the loss of sig/voltage is occuring from the IRD back to dish if you willl. Simply put:> if ya hear a whistle by the time you get to the fitting at the LNB. Then its the LNB 9 out of 10 or better. You'd be quite supprised at the number of "point of failures" the ground blks cause in themselves.

From what ya state though sounds like the P3 lnb got fried as the above poster suggested.. try the port diagonstic as i suggested on the LNB itself 1st & that will tell ya for sure if ya zapped the LNB.

Ill check back and see how it goes. What ever ya do Dont call DTV LOL.. take it from me. Heck i could sell ya 2 dishes for what the HSP racket will charge ya for 1 dish and the the 70$ + service call.

Oh PS.. i joined this forum just over reading this post. Ive been a frequent reader for quite a while though. Heck this is where i get my R-15 info lol.. it sure isnt from DTV and those "Ghost of a wanna be reps" they have. The turn over rate is astronomical, so getting someone who knows anything is a true crap shoot and useless IMHO.

good luck!

#5 OFFLINE   Skip Towne

Skip Towne

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:38 PM

That's not a "powered" multiswitch is it? Maybe it just needs plugged in to 110v.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,852 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:39 PM

Could be loosen F-connector(s)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...