Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV loses ~$80Million Patent case

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

Saw this posted at www.satelliteguys.us
http://biz.yahoo.com...26/0138941.html

I am waiting for the case against the Patent Office...
With all of theses cases lately... you might think they want to contract with Google or something to make their database a little easier to search.

So you think maybe $1 per subscripition over the next few months...
(That is just to give you an idea of how fast DirecTV could pay that off if they had to.... this is not a statement that they are increasing fees)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:05 PM

The article doesn't mention any attempt to speak with DTV to verify to offer a response. All this was is a press release from Finisar reported by Yahoo.

The patent they mention is interesting, and I'm only guessing they are claiming DTV is violating this via transmission of their guide data. But there are two references to large databases > 50GB. I cannot imagine the DTV guide data is > 50GB. I guess it's hard to see what the violation was without more info.

Here's a link to the verdict: http://mcsmith.blogs...ctv_verdict.pdf

Here's some other interersting reading: http://mcsmith.blogs...ases/index.html

Why are all these patent cases filed in Beaumont? Wasn't this the same court Tivo sued E*?
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#3 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:37 AM

Texas has a history of being easy on plaintiffs in patent cases and awarding large settlements. It's called jury shopping.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#4 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:11 AM

Saw this posted at www.satelliteguys.us
http://biz.yahoo.com...26/0138941.html

I am waiting for the case against the Patent Office...
With all of theses cases lately... you might think they want to contract with Google or something to make their database a little easier to search.

Well in this case (and Dishnetwork/TiVo), the verdict says it was willful, which means the searchability of USPTO wasn't an issue.

Besides, who uses USPTO anyway? Use http://www.delphion.com/

#5 OFFLINE   cmoss5

cmoss5

1960'S NOSTALGIA

• DBSTalk Club
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:58 AM

Exactly What Was The Suit About, In Laymen Terrms??

#6 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:12 AM

Guide data, and specifically how you get such massive amounts of data to client boxes using a one-way transport.

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:14 AM

From what I gather...

DirecTV was using a method of transmitting some data (not sure what data though).

This method was patented by Finisar in 1991

The jury concluded that DirecTV... knew about the patent, and disregarded it.
Thus they decided Finisar was worthy of ~$80million
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   walters

walters

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:19 AM

I really think they got claim 22 wrong, though. I can't imagine how DirecTV is using this:

22. The information transmission method of claim 16, wherein said scheduling step includes reserving a portion of transmission bandwidth available for said transmitting step for transmitting portions of said information database requested by subscribers;

said method including receiving requests from subscribers, said requests each specifying a portion of said information database; and

said scheduling step including scheduling transmission of requested portions of said information database.

#9 OFFLINE   jrbdmb

jrbdmb

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:31 AM

I'm planning to patent a new invention ... it is a method of conveying information to a large audience via droplets of ink impregnated onto a piece of flat material. Multiple instances of this material can be used to convey even more information. A delivery network distributes this information to the masses.

You may know the nickname for this invention - "newspaper".

Once I get my patent, I'll ask for a reasonable royalty of one penny for each newspaper printed in the United States. I figure that should keep me comfortable for a while. :)

#10 OFFLINE   moonman

moonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:20 AM

D* to appeal verdict............
DirecTV said it plans to appeal a jury verdict that found the satellite TV company infringed on a patent held by a Silicon Valley company.
DirecTV said in a statement, "We believe the jury's verdict is wrong and represents a distortion of patent infringement law. We are confident the facts and law support our position and we will contest this decision through post-trial motions or on appeal. The jury's award was substantially less than the damages claimed by Finisar, and we believe the evidence will ultimately show there was no infringement."

#11 OFFLINE   carmangary

carmangary

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:29 PM

I think I will sumbit a patent for a time machine and once I get approval I will require anyone who used my idea to come back in time and pay me royalties.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...