Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

811 - P3.80 Software Release Notes and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 517 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

Well, Dish sent me the replacement 811, I hooked it up and so far (3 days & counting), there have been no smart card errors (005) nor have there been any "No Info" glitches...:)

Well, I spoke too soon. I switched over to SAT today from OTA and there it was, the "No Info" glitch was back. And just when I thought the replacement 811 had fixed the problem....I give up!!:mad:

Ken
The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   skidog

skidog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:32 AM

When I was watching Prison Break on Monday it lost signal three times, it gets it back in like ten seconds but still, it never used to do that.:(

#23 OFFLINE   tonyp56

tonyp56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:01 PM

Problem that I've been having. I don't know if this bug was there before 380 or after--haven't really been messing with OTA channels lately, but when I go to my ota channels, and if I directly punch in, channel up or down, and or use the guide, between my OTA locals, my receiver locks up and reboots. Which wouldn't be such a horrible thing, except that it takes it 3 or so minutes to completly reboot.

I've pulled the plug and waited, I've held in the power button for ten seconds, I've rescan my OTA channels, and I don't have them in any favorite list. Yet this problem continues. I can select 1 OTA channel, but if I try to select a different local--by any of the means listed above, the 811 freezes, then reboots. I can however--so far at least--go from OTA channel to SAT channel no problem.

Any ideas?
Dish 811
SW: P380
Hardware ID: LADD-N
Boot Strap Version: 1014
Two Dish 301s
RCA/Dish Network 40" Widescreen HDTV
RCA RT2600 DD5.1, DTS, DPL 1-2 Surround Sound System

For a free alternative to MS Office, check out www.openoffice.org

Thanks,
Tony P.

#24 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 517 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

I reported here a few days ago that the "No Info" problem had happened again since my 811 was replaced. Well, last night I again had the "Smart Card Error 005" which now to me means that the problem was not in the receiver. At this point I am back to where I was before the 811 was replaced and the same problems are taking place in this unit too ("No Info" glitch & Smart card error). I don't know what is left for me to do...
I realize I can upgrade to the 211, but I am hearing there are still problems with it plus it will cost me an add'l $49.95 upgrade fee plus to keep my same level of programming (Dish Everything + HD pack + Voom), I'll have to upgrade to the Platinum pack & pay add'l for that. Any way I go, it will cost me more money which I just can't see as being fair. I have been with Dish for 10+ years and hate to switch carriers, but I'm running out of options....

Ken
The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

#25 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 517 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:39 PM

I wanted to provide an update to my originally reported "smart card error 005" and the "No Info" problems. Dish authorized a Field Service Manager to come out yesterday to check out these problems. He did not even have to check anything saying he already knew how to correct the issues. He removed/eliminated my DP-21 switch altogether and replaced my Dish Pro LNB with a Dish PRO+ saying it was the latest and greatest. He told me they had been having problems with the DP-21 and apparently the Dish PRO+ has it's own built-in switch which is a part of the LNB.
I will need more time (switching between OTA channels and SAT) before I can definately say this has fixed the problems, but the FSR told me this was a known issue in the field and he assured me this was the fix...He didn't explain (nor did he seem to know) why all the techs I've spoken to on the phone had no clue as to this fix. I'll keep everyone up to date in a few days whether this fix is still holding.

Ken

#26 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 517 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

I wanted to provide an update to my originally reported "smart card error 005" and the "No Info" problems. Dish authorized a Field Service Manager to come out yesterday to check out these problems. He did not even have to check anything saying he already knew how to correct the issues. He removed/eliminated my DP-21 switch altogether and replaced my Dish Pro LNB with a Dish PRO+ saying it was the latest and greatest. He told me they had been having problems with the DP-21 and apparently the Dish PRO+ has it's own built-in switch which is a part of the LNB.
I will need more time (switching between OTA channels and SAT) before I can definately say this has fixed the problems, but the FSR told me this was a known issue in the field and he assured me this was the fix...He didn't explain (nor did he seem to know) why all the techs I've spoken to on the phone had no clue as to this fix. I'll keep everyone up to date in a few days whether this fix is still holding.

Ken

Just a quick note to say that the above fix failed... I received the "smart card error #005" again late this afternoon after switching from a local OTA to the SAT.

Ken

#27 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 517 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:50 AM

Just a quick note to say that the above fix failed... I received the "smart card error #005" again late this afternoon after switching from a local OTA to the SAT.

Ken

Well, I again contacted Dish tech support last night and again they have agreed to send out a Field Service Manager tomorrow (Friday). I just don't believe they have any idea what's causing my problem, but at this point I'm pretty well at their mercy. Sure I could switch to Direct, but I understand they have more issues than Dish. The 211's not the answer as most of the 211 posts I read are negative...

Ken

#28 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 517 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:48 AM

Well, in an effort to keep everyone updated as to the "smart card 005" error I have been getting, here goes. BTW, I almost hate to post this as it seems everytime I post what I think is a fix, the next day the problem returns. So here's hoping I don't jinx myself..
About a week ago now, another field tech came out and this time he commented on the fact that he could not find where my dishes (110/119 & 61.5) were grounded. He then ran a ground lead through my attic, attached to my OTA antenna mast back to the dishes. So far, so good and this is the longest I have gone without having the "smart card 005" error or the "No Info" glitch when switching from an OTA channel to SAT. Could this have been the problem all along? If so, I cannot understand why the original installer never properly grounded the system...I still don't really understand why an improper ground would cause a smart card authorization problem, but I'll not question it if the fix holds..;)

Ken

#29 OFFLINE   AcuraCL

AcuraCL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:53 PM

...I still don't really understand why an improper ground would cause a smart card authorization problem, but I'll not question it if the fix holds..;)

Ken

Perhaps the smart card is a lot smarter than we all think ....

#30 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 517 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:15 PM

Yup:)

#31 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 517 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:19 PM

Well, in an effort to keep everyone updated as to the "smart card 005" error I have been getting, here goes. BTW, I almost hate to post this as it seems everytime I post what I think is a fix, the next day the problem returns. So here's hoping I don't jinx myself..
About a week ago now, another field tech came out and this time he commented on the fact that he could not find where my dishes (110/119 & 61.5) were grounded. He then ran a ground lead through my attic, attached to my OTA antenna mast back to the dishes. So far, so good and this is the longest I have gone without having the "smart card 005" error or the "No Info" glitch when switching from an OTA channel to SAT. Could this have been the problem all along? If so, I cannot understand why the original installer never properly grounded the system...I still don't really understand why an improper ground would cause a smart card authorization problem, but I'll not question it if the fix holds..;)

Ken

Well, the fix failed!!! It obviously had nothing to do with a grounding issue. I do have to say though, that it did hold up for about 2 weeks. But tonight when I switched over from an OTA local to SAT, there was the "Smart card 005" error. This is obviously an un-fixable issue! Please Dish....do something......

Ken

#32 OFFLINE   AcuraCL

AcuraCL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:20 PM

Well, the fix failed!!! It obviously had nothing to do with a grounding issue. I do have to say though, that it did hold up for about 2 weeks. But tonight when I switched over from an OTA local to SAT, there was the "Smart card 005" error. This is obviously an un-fixable issue! Please Dish....do something......

Ken

Oh god. I think I caught it from hanging out on this thread :eek2:

I had never seen this error until last night. It kept coming up, no matter what channel I tried, even after I rebooted. Thought I was going to have to call support ... then as suddenly as it started, it stopped.

What's up with that?

#33 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

[quote name='AcuraCL']Oh god. I think I caught it from hanging out on this thread :eek2:

Check your software version again. 3.81 is now downloading! If you have it and problems, try a hard (unplug) reset. If it is still acting up report it at the thread on the 3.81 software!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...