Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tallest pole

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   danderson101

danderson101

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:15 AM

What's the tallest pole anyone has used?
If over 15', what was the aprox. diameter of the pole?
Was it considered a standard installation- i.e. no additional charge?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:10 PM

What's the tallest pole anyone has used?

Tallest totem pole: 173 feet (http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Totem_pole)
Tallest barber pole: 72 feet (http://maisonbisson....log/post/11155/)
Tallest flagpole: 410 feet, maybe (http://www.crwflags....gs/xf-supe.html)

Now then, how tall a pole do you need, and why? Antenna towers aren't rocket science, but they're not free either.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:52 PM

If over 15', what was the aprox. diameter of the pole?
Was it considered a standard installation- i.e. no additional charge?

I don't think any pole mount (including tripod) qualifies as a "without extra cost" installation.

Where's my pipe bending moment table???

What is the worst case wind situation at this location (I'm thinking pretty severe for North Carolina)? Obviously, the taller the pole, the more rigid (or supported) it must be to prevent even casual bending (elevation) or twisting (azimuth). Given that the target is 22K miles away, there isn't much wiggle room.

#4 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:19 PM

I don't think any pole mount (including tripod) qualifies as a "without extra cost" installation.

Not true. I got a pole mount for a must carry dish (61.5) at no charge straight from Dish.

#5 OFFLINE   dougmcbride

dougmcbride

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:04 PM

I had a 61.5 dish on a 20 ft TV mast at about the 15 ft level and never had any issues with it. However, you need to use guy wires on standard masts every 10 ft or you risk lots of wind movement. Towers are a different animal, but also more expensive.

Cheers,

Doug

#6 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:51 PM

Now then, how tall a pole do you need, and why? Antenna towers aren't rocket science, but they're not free either.

Any Pole over 7' oughta play in the NBA. :hurah:

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:52 PM

I have two Ku dishes at work pole mounted on the same pole. The lowest one is about six feet off of the ground and the highest is around 12ft. These are decent size dishes, bigger than a Superdish. The pole was welded and installed by a local sat installer who started in C Band and now does primarily Dish and DirecTV.

If you want to make something work hard enough you will work hard enough to make it work. In this case, you'll need a really strong pipe.

You can probably get some statistics on the strength of selected pieces of pipe. They really don't expect you to leave one end floating above the other on the stats sheets but it will give you some idea.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...