Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

new user - lots of weather problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   marvilyn

marvilyn

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:34 PM

I know the weather has been really terrible in DC over the past few days - but every time it rains, my reception disappears. How do I ascertain what my signal strength is? At present, I have the service contract and if I need someone on the roof, I want to arrange it before I lose the service coverage. Sunday night no coverage at all and lots of gaps last night too - very irritating. What do I need to do to ascertain the problem (or to give y'all more info to help me diagnose it)?

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:48 PM

marvilyn,

Welcome to DBSTalk!

To help with your problem, it will be very helpful for people to know the equipment you have - what model receiver or DVR, what type of dish (dual LNB, 3 LNB, etc.), whether there are any potential line-of-sight issues under heavy winds or that type of thing (is this strictly a rain storm issue or something partially blocking the dish), and has this been a problem at all before this recent slew of weather. Also, do you have just one receiver, or if you have more than one, is the problem affecting all of them? How long ago was the installation done?

Sometimes the line-of-site may not be an issue at all, but with very wet weather, it could be some of the connections/fittings that are causing a problem.

The above information will help to possibly pinpoint where the trouble is or things to take a look at that may save you a service call. Don't be afraid to give too much information.

#3 OFFLINE   marvilyn

marvilyn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:58 PM

thanks - warning, here comes a dumb question - how do I ascertain exactly which equipment I have? I mean, I know that I have (1) HD receiver, (2) one standard receiver, and (3) one DVR - but how do I ascertain the manufacturer and any other pertinent info like what kind of dish? (I am leasing and it's what they put on my roof.) I live in the city but in a high part of town and the installer said I have a nice clear view of the southwestern sky - no trees in the way.

#4 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:10 PM

As for the receivers, there should be a sticker on the back (or some have info inside a front access door) that says what the model number is (such as H20-100, SDVR80, R15, D11, something of that nature). As for the dish, do you see 3 white knob-like fixtures or maybe 5?

From what you said and the fact you're in the DC area, I'm guessing you have an H20 (HD receiver) and probably an R15 DVR. I'm guessing you also have a 5 LNB dish. Also, the fact that you are leasing tells me that your install (or most recent upgrade) was just in the last few months.

The AT9 dish (that's what the 5 LNB dish is called) has proven to be the most reliable as far as rain-fade (weather related) issues go. Your clear line of site would most likely eliminate the fact that trees under higher winds may be partially blocking your signal.

That brings me down to possibly moisture getting into the connections when it rains (not likely if the install was done correctly) or just the shear amount of rain you've been getting. Was this a problem at all before the recent storms? And I'm guessing this problem manifests itself on all of your receivers, correct?

We're getting closer, I think.

By the way, I do not have any of those types of receivers I mentioned, so me walking you through checking the signal strengths would probably not be the most efficient. I'm willing to bet there will be someone along soon who could help you with that.

#5 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:40 PM

Do you lose your signal only during heavy downpours or is it out for some time after the rain stops? What kind of signal levels are you seeing on your receivers when the sky is free of clouds? You should be seeing signals on the 101, 110 and 119 sats in the 90 range. It's possible the dish needs to be peaked better then it is to give you higher signal strengths so that you have a buffer before heavy rain knocks the signal out.

#6 OFFLINE   marvilyn

marvilyn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:34 PM

The HD receiver is an H20 and the other receiver upstairs is D11 - haven't checked the DVR. Can't check the dish itself as it's night and pouring rain again!

Mjones, how do I tell what my signal level is?

So far, the reception disappears when it starts pouring - but that's been many times since I've had this stuff (only a couple of months).

#7 OFFLINE   directvfreak

directvfreak

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:35 PM

What is your signal strength? Go to menu, setup, satellite or sat/ant and signal strength. Check signal on all sats. On the HD receiver signal will be lower than all of the other boxes.

#8 OFFLINE   directvfreak

directvfreak

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:38 PM

The 5 lnb dish will have 1 flat lnb and then 2 round ones off to the side. I'm asuming that is what it is since you have an H-20. An esier way of telling is in the signal menu, if you get signal on 1=sat 103 or 99, then you have the 5 LNB.

#9 OFFLINE   marvilyn

marvilyn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:59 PM

The 5 lnb dish will have 1 flat lnb and then 2 round ones off to the side. I'm asuming that is what it is since you have an H-20. An esier way of telling is in the signal menu, if you get signal on 1=sat 103 or 99, then you have the 5 LNB.

well, when I did the check on the HD receiver it said it was a 5Lnb with a signal strength of 69. The check for the regular receiver said it was an oval 3 lnb with a signal strength of 83. Not sure what you mean by "1 = sat 103 or 99"

#10 OFFLINE   directvfreak

directvfreak

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:44 PM

I'm not either! My terrible typing!! If you get signal of 99 or 103 you have a 5 LNB dish. When you go in the menu, settings, setup, sat&ANT, and view signal strength, it should come up with a grid that shows many different signal readings. Give us a few from sat 101, 110, 119, 99 net 11 and 103 net 14. On the right of the screen there is a plus and minus used to switch satellites. sat 99 net 10 and 103 net 15 are not in space yet. 69 doesn't sound bad though. With any satellite dish, signal loss can happen. I have signal on 101 on my h-20 in the mid to upper 70's. Here in Ohio last week we had some pretty bad storms and I lost signal across the board. If the storm is really bad with heavy rain and dark clouds, that is probably the cause of the problem. On my non HD boxes i get upper 80's to mid 90's by the way.

#11 OFFLINE   marvilyn

marvilyn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:15 PM

will report back tomorrow!

#12 OFFLINE   victor20170

victor20170

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:04 AM

I know the weather has been really terrible in DC over the past few days - but every time it rains, my reception disappears. How do I ascertain what my signal strength is? At present, I have the service contract and if I need someone on the roof, I want to arrange it before I lose the service coverage. Sunday night no coverage at all and lots of gaps last night too - very irritating. What do I need to do to ascertain the problem (or to give y'all more info to help me diagnose it)?

thanks

Marvilyn,

You are not alone. I am having the same issues right now. Even when it's not raining that heavy. I called a third party installer to re-align the AT9 dish, he couldn't fix it either, I called him back since I had a 30 day job guarantee, he moved the dish to another part of my roof, and I still keep on losing my signal everytime it rains. This is very annoying.

I called Directv yesterday and asked them to send me one of their techs to check my dish. I am not paying $110 ever again to a third party installer :nono2: The lady from Directv told me that I was entitled to a free tech visit, and that the job will have a 90 day job guarantee, so I can call as many times as I want during those 90 days.

If they aren't able to fix my problem, then I am cancelling my service. I am going to give them 3 opportunities to do it. We'll see how it goes.

Does anybody know how much I would have to pay if I cancel my service before my 2 year agreement is over? I got Directv at the beginning of Dec 05. Regardless, I will ask for a discount, since I would be leaving because they can't fix my problem, not because I want to.
-H20
-R15
-AT9 Ka/Ku Dish

#13 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:01 PM

Does anybody know how much I would have to pay if I cancel my service before my 2 year agreement is over? I got Directv at the beginning of Dec 05. Regardless, I will ask for a discount, since I would be leaving because they can't fix my problem, not because I want to.

$186 and you probably won't get a discount.

#14 OFFLINE   victor20170

victor20170

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:46 PM

$186 and you probably won't get a discount.

Are you sure about this? I've been doing some research on the early termination fee topic, and I've read in more than one forum that as long as you return all of your receivers, you won't get charge any fees, except for maybe $20 or $30 for each box to return them.

Could anybody clarify this?
-H20
-R15
-AT9 Ka/Ku Dish

#15 OFFLINE   homerx

homerx

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:12 PM

Signal is a little low for that type of dish but still well within a good signal.

If you can get to the dish cheek to see how well its mounted. Does it wiggle around a lot.

I've come across a lot of installs were the tech dosent mount the dish right. (Not on a stud, screws over tightend causeing them not to grip, arms not aattached or not in the right spot)

Their should be to arms atached to the mast of the dish (the mast is the pole the dish is atached to)

If it seems sound is their anything that appears to be blocking the dish. Trees, power poles/lines

But I'd call direct and get some one out their to cheek everything over. You should get a free service call if your less then 90 days. Otherwise enough complining willget a discount.
If the arms are missing this could cause the dish to move.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:35 PM

Are you sure about this? I've been doing some research on the early termination fee topic, and I've read in more than one forum that as long as you return all of your receivers, you won't get charge any fees, except for maybe $20 or $30 for each box to return them.

Depending on how long the system has been installed, the 30 day money-back may be a viable option.

spam firewall