Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Looking to get into satellite for tailgating

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   UT06

UT06

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:04 PM

I am looking into what setup I need for viewing games at my tailgate. I have Time Warner because there is no way I can see south to be able to use Dish.

So, I'll need to pickup a (Dish Network I assume?) dish and receiver. Looking on Ebay, I have no clue as to which one I need. For example, which model number receiver would work with what paticular dish? If I have a little direction and know what to avoid, I think I can figure it out. I do know to make sure that there is no outstanding balance on the reciever or I cannot get it activated.

TIA. :cool:

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   homeskillet

homeskillet

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:32 AM

You would be better off ordering a Dish 301 receiver direct from one of this sites sponsors, along with a Dish 500 brand new (no worries about Ebay)

Are you wanting out of market NFL games? If so, you'll need DirecTV as they have the NFL package.

#3 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

You'll also want a tripod or other kind of dish stand. Here's the one I bought yesterday: http://www.campingwo...=17091&src=SRQB

I bought a Dish 300 cheap from a nearby eBay seller. If you really just want it for tailgating, you'll only need one satellite at a time. But you know what you need better than I do. :)
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#4 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:32 PM

A 300 won;t work. You don't know which satellite the game(s) are going to be on. You need to see both 119 & 110 at the same time JIC yu want to change channels.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#5 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:12 PM

A 300 will work most of the time as all the ESPNs are on the same satellite

#6 OFFLINE   UT06

UT06

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for the relpies. I am going to tailgate for college games. More specifically, UT (Longhorn) games. Most games are going to be on FSN. A few big games will be on ABC and I'm not sure where the others will fall (have been on TBS in the past).

#7 OFFLINE   UT06

UT06

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:16 PM

Oh, I will want to have ESPN college gameday on during the morning, so I'll need to be able to pick that up as well.

homeskillet, seems like your idea would be the way to go. I was trying to keep costs down, that's why I was looking into Ebay.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...