Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SuperDish Installation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BobS

BobS

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:25 PM

Why does SuperDish require "professional installation"?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 979 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:49 PM

Because they don't want incompetant customers installing it.
Gun control is racist.

#3 OFFLINE   BobS

BobS

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:10 AM

Because they don't want incompetant customers installing it.

What makes it more difficult than any other set up?

#4 OFFLINE   psnarula

psnarula

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:26 AM

What makes it more difficult than any other set up?

the location at 105 is harder to get good signal strength. my 105 superdish was professionally installed and while 110 and 119 get signal strenghs above 110, the best signal strength i've ever seen on 105 is in the high 70s. i guess the lesson is that it's harder to tune in to 105 so they want an experienced person doing it.

#5 OFFLINE   sat tech

sat tech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

superdish is not the only problem with self installs, in the last 6 yrs i have had to reinstall all but one self install. NEC codes are the biggest issue. warrenty issues is the other. you will need a sat meter to peak the fss satellite. superdish will be gone soon anyway. the plus dishes will also require professional installation

#6 OFFLINE   Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 979 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:20 AM

[T]he plus dishes will also require professional installation

I reiterate my previous statment.
Gun control is racist.

#7 OFFLINE   aegrotatio

aegrotatio

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:56 PM

i guess the lesson is that it's harder to tune in to 105 so they want an experienced person doing it.

Not only experienced, but one with an expensive Birddog satellite meter, not a Sadoun Special like I have.
SuperDiSH is only barely large enough to adequately receive the FSS signals from the somewhat unusually high-powered satellites at 105 and 121.
LIkewise, DiSH Plus is also barely large enough to receive the very high-powered FSS signals from 118.75. Even though the 118.75 signal is much higher power than FSS signals at 105 and 121 they are many times weaker than the DBS signals and require precise alignment.

And after the amateur hobbyist peaks his system on 105, 121, or 118.75, he checks 110 and 119 and finds he needs to tweak again for one or the other, and when he goes back to look at the FSS signal and it's no longer peaked, or it goes out whenever it rains a little. The professional installers' training has optimized these steps.
Finally the last thing they want to pay for is to help you fix your sub-optimal dish that was never set up well enough to pick up 105, 121, or 118.75.

#8 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:36 AM

After 15 yrs working on C/KU systems with 10=12 ft dishes I found puting up a Sd. 105 very simple . No fancy meters just a 13 in TV at dish fed by my 921.
My signal on 110/119 and 105 are better than the guy next door that was installed by a pro.

#9 OFFLINE   ban_cable

ban_cable

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:43 PM

Can someone turn to the KBS America channel and tell me is it on for free (Superdish viewers)?

#10 OFFLINE   psnarula

psnarula

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:56 PM

Can someone turn to the KBS America channel and tell me is it on for free (Superdish viewers)?

what channel is that? i have a 105 superdish and could check for you.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,234 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:46 PM

KBS America is on 121° and should be free for anyone with AT60 and above (or equivilent packages).

#12 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:48 PM

Yes

#13 OFFLINE   rcdallas

rcdallas

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:04 AM

Eh - the Superdish is a big dish that should only be mounted on a pole, NOT on a roof.

When I tune my SD in, I use the 110 and 119. I'd say the shroud cover is the hardest part to put together.

#14 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:27 PM

Eh - the SuperDish is a big dish that should only be mounted on a pole, NOT on a roof.

When I tune my SD in, I use the 110 and 119. I'd say the shroud cover is the hardest part to put together.

Look at my avatar, the dish in the middle on the roof is a SuperDish 121. In my subdivision it is about 50/50 on roof verses ground installations. In fact my SD121 was originally pole mounted at ground level and I had it moved to the roof.

I confronted an area DNSC installer about why his techs only install on a pole. He said DNSC prohibits them from doing this, his reason was that their insurance policy would not cover them climbing a roof with it. Most Retailer installation houses do not have an issue climbing a roof with it.

The thing to remember when installing one on a roof, is it is critical to hit a joist, and the 2 support strut bars are also very important. If installed correctly and using the extra struts to support it, it should be OK. These extra strut braces are designed specifically for roof mounted SD's.

Jason

#15 OFFLINE   rcdallas

rcdallas

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:24 PM

Look at my avatar, the dish in the middle on the roof is a SuperDish 121. In my subdivision it is about 50/50 on roof verses ground installations. In fact my SD121 was originally pole mounted at ground level and I had it moved to the roof.

I confronted an area DNSC installer about why his techs only install on a pole. He said DNSC prohibits them from doing this, his reason was that their insurance policy would not cover them climbing a roof with it. Most Retailer installation houses do not have an issue climbing a roof with it.

The thing to remember when installing one on a roof, is it is critical to hit a joist, and the 2 support strut bars are also very important. If installed correctly and using the extra struts to support it, it should be OK. These extra strut braces are designed specifically for roof mounted SD's.

Jason

Yes that is the important thing to actually hit a joist. All I know is DNSC tells me pole mount only, I won't argue with them on that.

#16 OFFLINE   ban_cable

ban_cable

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:57 PM

Does anyone how much does it cost for Superdish + installation?

#17 OFFLINE   ban_cable

ban_cable

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

KBS America is on 121° and should be free for anyone with AT60 and above (or equivilent packages).

I don't think I am getting a 121 location. For the free one, I think they said Superdish.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,234 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:48 PM

They SHOULD have said "SuperDish 121°".

#19 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:13 PM

Does anyone how much does it cost for Superdish + installation?

My 121 and install was free with 1 year commitment. YMMV.

#20 OFFLINE   ban_cable

ban_cable

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

Thanks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...