Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need Help - Moving!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cobra5wood

Cobra5wood

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:12 AM

I am moving in 2 - 3 months. I have been a Directv customer for 18 months. I currently have the 3lnb dish with 4 receivers(1-hd, 1-dvr, and 2 sd's). The house I have purchased has never been wired for cable. Will that be a problem if I go thru Directv's "moving dept"? I know that they will bring out a new dish and I'm supposed to bring my receivers with me. If they will only bring a 5lnb dish(since Chicago now has HD locals), I'll need a new hd receiver. Will I have to pay for it or can I trade in my old RCA DTC-210? Will I be charged an arm and a leg for all of the wiring they will have to do? Has anyone else gone thru a similar scenario lately? If so, what can I expect to happen. I'm tempted to close out my old account and establish a new one under my wife's name and a different credit card if necessary for all of the wiring.

:eek2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:09 AM

I am moving in 2 - 3 months. I have been a Directv customer for 18 months. I currently have the 3lnb dish with 4 receivers(1-hd, 1-dvr, and 2 sd's). The house I have purchased has never been wired for cable. Will that be a problem if I go thru Directv's "moving dept"? I know that they will bring out a new dish and I'm supposed to bring my receivers with me. If they will only bring a 5lnb dish(since Chicago now has HD locals), I'll need a new hd receiver. Will I have to pay for it or can I trade in my old RCA DTC-210? Will I be charged an arm and a leg for all of the wiring they will have to do? Has anyone else gone thru a similar scenario lately? If so, what can I expect to happen. I'm tempted to close out my old account and establish a new one under my wife's name and a different credit card if necessary for all of the wiring.

:eek2:

it should be no cost to you( dish & wiring/installtion) i'm not sure what type of dish for hd they will supply. i would call directv ask about the dish and see if they will give some type of deal for a new receiver if needed.

#3 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

I would guess that the free installation is "standard" installation. If the wiring is rather straight forward, it may actually be free. If you will want cabling fished within walls and such as that, I'm sure there will be additional charges. I have not been through this scenario, so I can't begin to say how much, if at all.

Also, you say you've been with them for 18 months, and have an HD receiver and a DVR. Are you still within a two-year commitment period? If so, you may incur "early cancellation" fees if you cancel before your move. Something to be aware of if it applies in your situation.

spam firewall