Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

It's June 28th....no announcements

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Questioner

Questioner

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:12 PM

Wasn't there believed to be some official announcements from directv on June 28th? I know the hd locals went live and the website changed, but was hoping for some details finally on future hd offerings. Aren't they at least going to confirm the local hd launches?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:29 PM

Wasn't there believed to be some official announcements from directv on June 28th? I know the hd locals went live and the website changed, but was hoping for some details finally on future hd offerings. Aren't they at least going to confirm the local hd launches?

The NFL Sunday Ticket promotion started today, you want more HD programming than that you better go to DISH. Directv has fallen asleep, maybe Rip Van Winkle (20 years):lol:

#3 OFFLINE   Questioner

Questioner

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

The NFL Sunday Ticket promotion started today, you want more HD programming than that you better go to DISH. Directv has fallen asleep, maybe Rip Van Winkle (20 years):lol:

While there are things coming, some pretty definite, like the mpeg 4 dvr and future hd local launches....others less definite like full and part time rsns in hd reported to begin next month. Directv is lagging for hd no doubt, but you think with these things they could come up some sort of press release.

#4 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:02 PM

There are some press releases somewhere regarding the nine markets launched today. I saw them earlier on businesswire.com.

There is also a press release from a while ago regarding the next 14 markets to receive HD locals.

There is another press release from last year that stated when DirecTV 10 and 11 were launched that there will be room for 1500 HD locals and 150 national HD channels.

What more do you need? (as I am listening to Queen's "I Want It All")

#5 OFFLINE   Questioner

Questioner

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:43 PM

Those hd locals announcements were third party press releases. What would be nice is some confirmation of future hd plans for the so called hd leader more than once every 6 months.

#6 OFFLINE   Kevlar

Kevlar

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:50 PM

My HD Local channels came on today :D

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:17 PM

Those hd locals announcements were third party press releases. What would be nice is some confirmation of future hd plans for the so called hd leader more than once every 6 months.

Chack out Directv's website they no longer claim to be the HD leader.:)

#8 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:15 PM

Oh, no. No announcements. Just 9 more markets getting their locals in HD off the satellite, the official launch of the Titanium package, the start of this year's Total Choice Premier/NFL ST promo, Family Choice being cut from $34.99 to $29.99, the introduction of the "Big Button" remote, for all of us Baby Boomers with bifocals, the relaunch of the D* website... I think there may even be a new Para Todos promo out there. Isn't that enough?

#9 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:33 AM

Oh, no. No announcements. Just 9 more markets getting their locals in HD off the satellite, the official launch of the Titanium package, the start of this year's Total Choice Premier/NFL ST promo, Family Choice being cut from $34.99 to $29.99, the introduction of the "Big Button" remote, for all of us Baby Boomers with bifocals, the relaunch of the D* website... I think there may even be a new Para Todos promo out there. Isn't that enough?

Do people have pictures of the big button remote? I really wanted to see that (even though I'm not going to get it).

#10 OFFLINE   Questioner

Questioner

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:33 AM

For hd users no, not when we have the least channels, poorest quality hd, and in some cases the inability to record all hd programming, compared to other hd providers. These areas announced is not where directv needs to step up their game.

#11 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:38 AM

If you would (if you haven't already) listened to their webinars (replays available at directv.com), you would hear plenty about what is going on regarding HD.

It's there if you're interested.

#12 OFFLINE   Questioner

Questioner

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:48 AM

I listened, but as usual, is void of the specific details you get in press releases, which usually come out sooner before hd services are introduced. Which means I don't expect much positive anytime soon with hd on directv.

#13 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:10 PM

For hd users no, not when we have the least channels, poorest quality hd, and in some cases the inability to record all hd programming, compared to other hd providers. These areas announced is not where directv needs to step up their game.

Not too sure what more you are looking for. DirecTV has already announced and stated many times what their plans are. HD Locals right now. No new national channels until the new sats in 2007.

What more do you want? If that's not fast enough for you then there are plenty of options for you out there. No need to continue to be upset. Call up Dish and they'll have you setup with an HD DVR and lot of HD channels in no time at all.

#14 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:17 PM

Not too sure what more you are looking for. DirecTV has already announced and stated many times what their plans are. HD Locals right now. No new national channels until the new sats in 2007.

What more do you want? If that's not fast enough for you then there are plenty of options for you out there. No need to continue to be upset. Call up Dish and they'll have you setup with an HD DVR and lot of HD channels in no time at all.

You know what wiseguy- you are 1000000% right. Thanks for that post.:lol:

#15 OFFLINE   Questioner

Questioner

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:25 PM

There are many things in the works (full and parttime rsns in hd for example), they just are not releasing any info about them. The mpeg 4 has been in development for ages and is rumoured to be out soon enough, but yet no official info for many many months. Right now, they can get away with being the worst hd provider, but If directv waited until mid 2007 to offer any new hd services and products, they would be start to take a noticable hit. They could help their cause if they weren't so tightlipped with the few hd products that are coming out the rest of this year.

#16 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:26 PM

this is not a third party press release - is it?

http://phx.corporate...7724&highlight=

BTW - there are at least seven (7) count 'em seven press releases FROM DIRECTV THIS YEAR regarding HD, plus 5 or more webinars THIS year where HD has been discussed. I know your anxious, but at least don't be ridiculous about your rants.

#17 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:31 PM

There are many things in the works (full and parttime rsns in hd for example), they just are not releasing any info about them. The mpeg 4 has been in development for ages and is rumoured to be out soon enough, but yet no official info for many many months. Right now, they can get away with being the worst hd provider, but If directv waited until mid 2007 to offer any new hd services and products, they would be start to take a noticable hit.

What kind of serious trouble? I you actually took the time to get correct info, you would see that they are increasing their sub base EVERY QUARTER. They are also now at over 25% of their sub population having advanced technology equipment (HD and DVR).

This argument you CANNOT win.

#18 OFFLINE   Questioner

Questioner

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

People likely are going to wake up starting saturday and see rsns in hd with no advance warning, and others without the right equipment won't be able to see them at all....all because directv refuses to give customers advanced warning about these things. The same thing will probably happen when the mpeg 4 dvr comes out. I don't think this is asking for too much. Directv's past hd press releases have been vague to say the least, and void of details and timetables. It's not the quantity of them I have a problem with, but what's in them.

#19 OFFLINE   Questioner

Questioner

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:36 PM

What kind of serious trouble? I you actually took the time to get correct info, you would see that they are increasing their sub base EVERY QUARTER. They are also now at over 25% of their sub population having advanced technology equipment (HD and DVR).

This argument you CANNOT win.

You are naive if you think directv never has to keep up with other providers when it comes to hd services. There just aren't enough customers who care about hd yet for it to make a difference, but this is not going to be the case forever.

I never said directv isn't doing very well now, it's the future they need to worry about.

This is an argument anyone can win with common sense.

#20 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:40 PM

You are naive if you think directv never has to keep up with other providers when it comes to hd services. There just aren't enough customers who care about hd yet for it to make a difference, but this is not going to be the case forever.

I never said directv isn't doing very well now, it's the future they need to worry about.

This is an argument anyone can win with common sense.

Well if its the future you can't win that one either. Take the time, listen to their webinars - they have mentioned targets for number of HD nationals within the next 12 months and so on.

There is little they can or will do in that area until the DIRECTV10 bird is up, so all of your whining can't change that FACT. They HAVE SAID though that once that sat is humming the game changes.

Its not just common sense - its common sense based on doing a little homework before you talk. You OBVIOUSLY have NOT done your homework.

For you to say (as you DID) that they only had 1 press release in 6 months PROVES THIS - end of my discussion with you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...