Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Extremely pleased with D* install

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Xerofilter

Xerofilter

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:49 AM

I live in a very small town in northern Mississippi, where one has to pay exhorbitant rates to the local cable company to get any packages worth viewing.

I've been researching DBS satellite systems for the past few years. They seemed interesting, but I had heard horror stories about installs gone wrong and rain fade, so I just continued to pay and pay for cable - until my neighbor got a DirecTV system a few weeks ago.

I went over and checked out his setup, and was impressed by the setup of the receivers and the variety of channels they were able to get on a small 18 inch dish. As luck would have it, a very severe thunderstorm struck up - and the video and reception stayed rock solid.

Still very impressed, I Googled for more opinions on the service, and stumbled upon DBSTalk. After reading the forums, I settled on the Total Choice Premiere package with HD package, the AT-9 dish, the H20 HD receiver, and four standard D11 receivers, and I was going to keep the cable internet (the only reasonably priced offer from the company). Placed the order online Saturday, June 24, and was pleasantly surprised to have an install date of June 27. Prior to this, I'd have wait upwards of a week for the cable company.

The installer arrived at 4 PM on Tuesday, and I don't know if he was just really dedicated to his job or what, but he worked for seven and a half hours to get the dish installed and mounted, lines run, and the receivers set up. He finally left at 11:30 PM. He even straightened out a wiring problem that the cable company introduced when running an extension for my cable modem - my speeds are better and the connection is rock solid!

And it didn't cost me a penny.

Anyway, I spent the next hour checking things out, and I feel that I did the right thing. My friends and neighbors who are still on cable love to come over and check out the channel lineup and variety.

So, anyway, thanks to DBSTalk for helping me to decide. :D

Here's hoping we get the Memphis HD locals soon as well. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:25 PM

Welcome to the forum Xerofilter!!!
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#3 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:39 PM

I live in a very small town in northern Mississippi, where one has to pay exhorbitant rates to the local cable company to get any packages worth viewing.

I've been researching DBS satellite systems for the past few years. They seemed interesting, but I had heard horror stories about installs gone wrong and rain fade, so I just continued to pay and pay for cable - until my neighbor got a DirecTV system a few weeks ago.

I went over and checked out his setup, and was impressed by the setup of the receivers and the variety of channels they were able to get on a small 18 inch dish. As luck would have it, a very severe thunderstorm struck up - and the video and reception stayed rock solid.

Still very impressed, I Googled for more opinions on the service, and stumbled upon DBSTalk. After reading the forums, I settled on the Total Choice Premiere package with HD package, the AT-9 dish, the H20 HD receiver, and four standard D11 receivers, and I was going to keep the cable internet (the only reasonably priced offer from the company). Placed the order online Saturday, June 24, and was pleasantly surprised to have an install date of June 27. Prior to this, I'd have wait upwards of a week for the cable company.

The installer arrived at 4 PM on Tuesday, and I don't know if he was just really dedicated to his job or what, but he worked for seven and a half hours to get the dish installed and mounted, lines run, and the receivers set up. He finally left at 11:30 PM. He even straightened out a wiring problem that the cable company introduced when running an extension for my cable modem - my speeds are better and the connection is rock solid!

And it didn't cost me a penny.

Anyway, I spent the next hour checking things out, and I feel that I did the right thing. My friends and neighbors who are still on cable love to come over and check out the channel lineup and variety.

So, anyway, thanks to DBSTalk for helping me to decide. :D

Here's hoping we get the Memphis HD locals soon as well. :)

if you recommend directv to your neighbors and they get it you can get between 50.00-100.00 dollar credit on your bill per friend you refer and signs up.;)

#4 OFFLINE   Questioner

Questioner

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:58 PM

if you recommend directv to your neighbors and they get it you can get between 50.00-100.00 dollar credit on your bill per friend you refer and signs up.;)

And there's no limit! Sign them all up.

#5 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:57 AM

Call customer service and ask them for the referral phone #....I am a dunce and forgot to write it down. I called and got "charm" on the line, apparently there has been a change to the proceedure since the credit went from $50.00 to $100.00. She gave me the following details:

Its called
"Spread the Word"

Only for referring people who _Never_ had directv before, but you get a credit for $100.00!

First, you have the person call 1-866-498-6563.

They HAVE to sign up through this phone# as a referral.

Then, after they have directv installed, your person who was referred calls a SECOND phone #, 1-866-443-8869.

Your freind/family member whom you referred gives the rep at the # above their acct# and YOUR acct # as the referring account.

The credit for $100.00 will appear on your account 1-2 weeks after the new acct is activated.

There is no limit to credits =)

PS I am glad to have someone post about their good experience with Directv installation, it is the norm rather then the exception. I have had 4 installs at my house (big greek family who slowly wanted THEIR tivo in THEIR room) and only one installer caused me any grief, and it was only because he was late (not his fault) and he forgot the phone line connection (hard to move the entertainment center).

~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

#6 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:18 AM

Go here and you'll get all the info on the Spread the Word program, including a printable flyer that you can put your info on and give to friends:
http://www.directv.c...?assetId=900008

#7 OFFLINE   Skip Towne

Skip Towne

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:38 PM

How refreshing to see a thread like this. Usually there are 20 "I got screwed" threads for every one like this.

#8 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:46 PM

Yes, great thread and welcome to the forum Xerofilter. :welcome_s

I also had a good experience with my DirecTV installation. Normally I install the stuff myself but when we moved to a new house a couple of years ago, I didn't want to climb a 20 foot ladder to place the dish on the roof.

The installer was very nice and did a great job. Here are some pics of the installation:

http://www.dbstalk.c...62&d=1093781648
http://www.dbstalk.c...63&d=1093781653
http://www.dbstalk.c...64&d=1093781660

#9 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:28 PM

nice installation job.

BTW, I hope your lawn has filled in a bit by now. :lol:

spam firewall