Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No phoneline no RSN.!?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zuke

zuke

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:09 PM

I have had D* for about a week now and I have noticed that I don't have access to my RSN channels (629 and 626). I called D* and they stated that I cannot get any sports packages including my basic RSNS without a phone line hooked up to my box.

When I was signing up for D* I told them I didn't have a phone and they stated that the only thing the phone line is used for is to order ppv. I am one of the growing population of people that have done the math and figured out that its much cheaper to just have a cell phone and no land line.

I have 1 R15. I know many friends that have no phone line and have their RSNs. I have also done a few searches around dbstalk and found an older thread were someone had the same issues (no phone no rsns) on his r15 but he got them on the d11 basic boxes he had.

I am on the brink cancelling. Should I return my r15 and just get the d11 (not hooked on the dvr so far).

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:17 PM

I have not had that problem. I don't have phone lines pluged into mine and I get my RSN. Maybe try calling D* again and get someone that is more helpful or threaten to cancel your subscription and see if they will do something about it. Somepeople there are more helpful and knowledgeable then other. Sometime's I have had to make multiple phone calls to get something fixed.

#3 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:39 PM

I have the R15 and I get all my RSNs without a phone line. Call back and tell them you don't have a land-based phone line in your home, that's what I did.

#4 OFFLINE   bbq-allstar

bbq-allstar

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:42 PM

Why not just tell them that you have a phone line connected...they can't prove it.
:confused:

#5 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:43 PM

I am one of the growing population of people that have done the math and figured out that its much cheaper to just have a cell phone and no land line.

I never could figure out why people say this. I have Verizon Wireless and their cheapest plan like most other carriers is $40 a month before tax and fees. My landline phone thru Verizon is $9 a month before tax and fees for unlimited local calling.

#6 OFFLINE   cheer

cheer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:21 PM

Wow, $9? Really? I don't think most people can get that -- a single phone line w/unlimited local calling around here won't be found for under $30.
--
Christopher D. Heer

We've got a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

#7 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:40 PM

In AZ with Qwest it's about $25/mo.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#8 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:49 PM

I never could figure out why people say this. I have Verizon Wireless and their cheapest plan like most other carriers is $40 a month before tax and fees. My landline phone thru Verizon is $9 a month before tax and fees for unlimited local calling.

I used to have a land-based phone line but was never home enough to use it, so I cancelled. I think the point people are trying to make is that since you probably have a cell phone anyway, it's cheaper to just keep the cell and not pay for 2 phone lines. I don't think they're making a "one or the other" price comparison.

#9 OFFLINE   carmangary

carmangary

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:43 AM

Nothing more annoying than talking to someone on their crappy cell phone connection.

#10 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:53 AM

My home service is only $8.95 but with all the extra fees and taxes it comes to approx $18-20 usually. This is for unlimited local calls but no extra features. Check the fine print next time you get the phone bill, I have more fees, tax, 911 fee and other noncense than what the actual service costs.

#11 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:12 AM

I have had D* for about a week now and I have noticed that I don't have access to my RSN channels (629 and 626). I called D* and they stated that I cannot get any sports packages including my basic RSNS without a phone line hooked up to my box.

When I was signing up for D* I told them I didn't have a phone and they stated that the only thing the phone line is used for is to order ppv. I am one of the growing population of people that have done the math and figured out that its much cheaper to just have a cell phone and no land line.

I have 1 R15. I know many friends that have no phone line and have their RSNs. I have also done a few searches around dbstalk and found an older thread were someone had the same issues (no phone no rsns) on his r15 but he got them on the d11 basic boxes he had.

I am on the brink cancelling. Should I return my r15 and just get the d11 (not hooked on the dvr so far).

Thanks!

I have found, that if I went into the SERVICE address, (NOT billing address) and made SURE it was 100% correct, or at least "changed" it by making a small modification, ie spelled out "STREET" instead of "ST" for the street address...the system all of a sudden updated itself, and popped up a statement about locals and RSN's.

The phone line is used to verify PPV purchases, and to verify you are in the location you say you are in, so that the sports programming you are "allowed" to have by that particular league is what you see, ie, no NY Yankees for Marlins territory :P

It is an EASILY overlooked "fix", you may want to call back, and have the rep reverify/reenter and SAVE your SERVICE address again...and then resend the authorizations to your receiver....could help, wont hurt anything.

You ARE physically located where your SERVICE address says aren't you?

Your BILLING address can be anywhere, that is just where the bill is mailed to.

**And, yes, they can tell if you have it connected to a phone line, because directv logs when the receiver does a monthly call back, and what phone # it called back from. If there is no monthy call, then that means either you don't have it connected, or the modem isn't working (directv isn't psychic, they cant tell if you HAVE a land based phone line or not).

Hope that helps,
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

#12 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:51 AM

Why not just tell them that you have a phone line connected...they can't prove it.
:confused:

Yes they can. They can send a signal to the receiver to force it to dial-in. I had to do that before I could order PPV via my remote because the receiver had not called in for a while.

#13 OFFLINE   cheer

cheer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:55 AM

My home service is only $8.95 but with all the extra fees and taxes it comes to approx $18-20 usually. This is for unlimited local calls but no extra features. Check the fine print next time you get the phone bill, I have more fees, tax, 911 fee and other noncense than what the actual service costs.

Which is relevant how, exactly? If it costs you $20, it costs you $20 regardless of what the costs are for.
--
Christopher D. Heer

We've got a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

#14 OFFLINE   bbq-allstar

bbq-allstar

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:55 PM

Yes they can. They can send a signal to the receiver to force it to dial-in. I had to do that before I could order PPV via my remote because the receiver had not called in for a while.

This must not be true for DirecTivo units, because I have never had my phone line connected to any of my Tivo units (I have 4 SD TiVos and 1 HD Tivo).

I have the Premium pkg, NHL center Ice, NFL ST...no problems...I don't order PPV, so maybe that's the difference.

My tivo gets messages that it hasn't called out, but I just delete them.

#15 OFFLINE   zuke

zuke

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 09:55 PM

Ok to update you all.
I have had 4 different phone conversations with D*. All for them except for the first, stated that I SHOULD get my RSNs without a phone line and that the line was only used to order ppv. THis is what I was originally told when ordering D*. After putting me on hold to "check" with the supervisor and/or tech people, they all came back on the phone with a change of mind and told me that to get my RSNs I NEEDED a land line phone connected to my box..... I told them all that I don't have one and would not be getting one.... All of the CSR were empathic to my issue but I could not understand why they did not know their companies polices on a basic issue. So on the last call I stated that due to this problem that I would be calling back when I wasn't pressed for time (It was already a 35 min call) to cancel my service within the 30day trial.
That was yesterday. I came home today I flipped on the tube and guess what is now working..... my 2 RSN channels (CSN and MASN). SO WTF happened!!!!! :nono2:

Bobman,
I could get "local" phone service for around 25-30$ a month. That is only "local" So if I wanted to call 5 miles down the road (literally) I would need to get a long distance carrier IE more money and taxes each month. so all in all local and long distance land line will run me about 35-40$ a month. My cell phone is about $60 with taxes, long distance, enough of mins that I don't need to count them and I can take it anywhere in the US.

#16 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:44 AM

All of the CSR were empathic to my issue

Sorry, zuke. I'm sure you meant empathetic, but this CRACKED ME UP! Maybe we aren't giving D* CSR's enough credit! :D

Happy 4th, everyone!

#17 OFFLINE   zuke

zuke

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:17 AM

Sorry, zuke. I'm sure you meant empathetic, but this CRACKED ME UP! Maybe we aren't giving D* CSR's enough credit! :D

Happy 4th, everyone!

LOL the effects of working 12 hour shifts

#18 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:34 PM

The phone line is used to verify PPV purchases, and to verify you are in the location you say you are in, so that the sports programming you are "allowed" to have by that particular league is what you see, ie, no NY Yankees for Marlins territory :P

VOIP renders this point incorrect, as it's very possible to have a NYC phone number while being physically located in Miami (or vice versa).

#19 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:07 PM

VOIP renders this point incorrect, as it's very possible to have a NYC phone number while being physically located in Miami (or vice versa).

well YEAH, but you aren't going to get more then 4 locals :lol: :lol:

(This happened to a customer, 4 calls to directv and I finally pinned him down to admitting he was on a houseboat off of miami fl, and his locals were keyed to new york ny....THATS WHY you are not getting your locals sir!)
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

spam firewall