Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

good-bye DirecTV..... best alternative?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cdavis0720

cdavis0720

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:19 AM

After spending way too much time on the phone with DirecTV, it has come to the point that I have no other choice but to part ways with them. It really is ashame cause for the most part the service itself is not the issue. Rather the problems mainly lie with Ironwood Communications their install company. I do place some of the blame with Direct for two reasons. First the confusion regarding which dish would be installed for my HD-DVR upgrade. I know the 3LNB will work for me due to the DVR not being MPEG-4 compatible however I was told the 5LNB would be installed so I would be ready for the new DVRs whenever they come out. Truth be told if I would not have to deal with the nightmare that is Ironwood Communications again when the 5LNB dish would have to be installed I would not be bothered at all by having the 3LNB for the time being. Second issue is Direct's repeated broken promises regarding fixing this issue. Numerous times I have been left waiting for a call back from either Direct or a supervisor from Ironwood Communications. I have simply reached a point where I will not pick up the phone again to call them regarding this matter. I shouldn't have to.

Now all that being said, which is the better alternative for HD programming? I know Dish has more HD channels available but are they really worth it? Secondly does anyone know if Dish uses the same install company in the Philadelphia, PA area?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:40 AM

Dish would be it...
I would not be surprised if they did use the installer company.... but really depends on the area.

Check with your local cable-cos and check to see if FIOS is available in your area.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:44 AM

Now all that being said, which is the better alternative for HD programming?

With the exception of tiny cable companies, few offer less national HD content than DirecTV. DirecTV is 50% ahead of Dish Network in HD locals which for many cannot be overlooked.

I know Dish has more HD channels available but are they really worth it?

Yes, for $5 more, you get more than double the channels. HD locals are available from Dish in the Philly DMA.

Secondly does anyone know if Dish uses the same install company in the Philadelphia, PA area?

Even if they do, you should be able to find an independent reseller that will do the install for you. Look in your area phone book under Satellite Equipment.

Be aware that Dish Network requires two dishes in your area. For some this is a deal breaker.

#4 OFFLINE   cdavis0720

cdavis0720

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:37 PM

Not really a big fan of the idea of TWO dishes being installed. Comcast may be the only option for me. Really not overly impressed with their choices either. The only upside is that there is already a cable line running into the house so I don't have to worry about incompetence there I suppose.

Thanks for the input!

#5 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:16 PM

Your best bet would to not even go HD with either E*or D* they don't have the
bandwith and cable doesn't either.I know the last thing I would want to watch is
a SD channel if I had a HDTV.You really have to blame the TV manufacturers you want HD we got HD yea for a big price.Now their talking 1080p yea right! My HD
transition is at least 5 years away when all the dust clears.The technology is just
beginning and I've got to take my hat off to you guys who have to have the latest
and the greatest.It is you who will pave the way for us little people by paying the
higher prices for TV's and programming.Thank you for your sacrifice!

#6 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 09:39 AM

I had a serious install problem I called that office of the president and they fixed everything in 2 minutes flat...

Mind you, this was after 30 phone calls, 4 wrong installs, installers who didn't speak any english and a bogus charge of 157 dollars..

#7 OFFLINE   DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 01:06 PM

Dish would be it...
I would not be surprised if they did use the installer company.... but really depends on the area.

Check with your local cable-cos and check to see if FIOS is available in your area.

We have FIOS internet, but, no video yet in this area.
Thankfully I'm pretty good at this kind of thing and do all my own install work. No dealing with these idiots, or non-english speaking home wreckers:eek2: :nono: .

John

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 03:39 PM

Your best bet would to not even go HD with either E*or D* they don't have the
bandwith and cable doesn't either.I know the last thing I would want to watch is
a SD channel if I had a HDTV.You really have to blame the TV manufacturers you want HD we got HD yea for a big price.Now their talking 1080p yea right! My HD
transition is at least 5 years away when all the dust clears.The technology is just
beginning and I've got to take my hat off to you guys who have to have the latest
and the greatest.It is you who will pave the way for us little people by paying the
higher prices for TV's and programming.Thank you for your sacrifice!

My HD move will be 7 years off because I'm disabled & California cut my monthly income to: $622.66. Besides in 7 years HD sets should be cheap.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:55 PM

because I'm disabled & California cut my monthly income

You never miss an opportunity, do you?

#10 OFFLINE   DB Cooper