Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

vip 622 upgrade worth cost?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Islandkiwi

Islandkiwi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:02 PM

I currently have an 811 receiver, I pay 60 dollars a month for America's 120 and the hd channels.

I was looking into getting the vip 622 so that I would have a couple extra hd channels and the dvr capability. And I don't mind paying to get the new receiver, or even paying to lease the new receiver.

However, after talking with the customer service rep it sounds like my bill would jump up to 80 dollars or higher with comparable programming (Hd silver package).

That's a lot of cash every month for tv channels. I don't watch that much tv. I like MSnbc (Keith Olbermann), Comedy Central, and the HD channels.

I'd love to hear people's comments on this. Is it worth the extra 20 dollars a month? I really want the dvr capability, but maybe there's a better way to record programs that I don't know about. Or maybe the extra channels and picture quality is worth every penny.

Whatever your opinion, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:21 AM

I currently have an 811 receiver, I pay 60 dollars a month for America's 120 and the hd channels.

I was looking into getting the vip 622 so that I would have a couple extra hd channels and the dvr capability. And I don't mind paying to get the new receiver, or even paying to lease the new receiver.

However, after talking with the customer service rep it sounds like my bill would jump up to 80 dollars or higher with comparable programming (Hd silver package).

That's a lot of cash every month for tv channels. I don't watch that much tv. I like MSnbc (Keith Olbermann), Comedy Central, and the HD channels.

I'd love to hear people's comments on this. Is it worth the extra 20 dollars a month? I really want the dvr capability, but maybe there's a better way to record programs that I don't know about. Or maybe the extra channels and picture quality is worth every penny.

Whatever your opinion, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

If you have the old HD package, then the increase is only $10 over your current package. If you have the old voom package its only $5 more.

It all depends on what you watch. You get a large number of new HD channels. But are they ones you watch? You may also get your HD locals. Dependson where you live.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#3 OFFLINE   Islandkiwi

Islandkiwi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:40 AM

I like Discovery HD. Sometimes TNT HD, ESPN HD. I do get ota local channels in hi-def, have an antenna set up in the attic.

Are the new hd channels worth the extra cost? What do you like about the new hd channels?

#4 OFFLINE   Trinity

Trinity

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 08:54 AM

I like Discovery HD. Sometimes TNT HD, ESPN HD. I do get ota local channels in hi-def, have an antenna set up in the attic.

Are the new hd channels worth the extra cost? What do you like about the new hd channels?

I was ready to make the switch to the 622 and get the HD package. However, I was getting really annoyed with all of the non programming fees that were being tacked on. The lease fee, dvr access fee, and there was something else. My $70 current bill was going to jump up to $110 or so. Love HD--love tv, especially old movies. So for now, I cant see it happening for me.

#5 OFFLINE   Islandkiwi

Islandkiwi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:01 PM

I was ready to make the switch to the 622 and get the HD package. However, I was getting really annoyed with all of the non programming fees that were being tacked on. The lease fee, dvr access fee, and there was something else. My $70 current bill was going to jump up to $110 or so. Love HD--love tv, especially old movies. So for now, I cant see it happening for me.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. So could we get someone to discuss the benefits of the vip-622 and the extra high def channels please?

#6 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 06:42 PM

I have the platinum hd pack and I am still paying 15.00 for my hd just like before when I had the 942. This is a perk since if you sub to the gold pack or lower you will pay $20.00 for your hd channels. I also have no dvr fees of course.

The hd channels are great to me , except the REAL mpeg4 hd channels like STarz hd. Once Dish learns how to compress them in real time without the picture looking like it is losing frames , they will be great.

You also will get your hd locals for free if Dish has hd locals in your area and you sub to the sd locals pack. Hgtv in hd is very nice. I am watching a great movie on Universal Hd called" Bring it on 2" that I have never seen. The Voom channels are good extra channels to have like Rave and I like the World cinema channel for foreign films in hd.

The receiver is much more rock solid now that I have the latest software : L359. I love my 622 and I think you will love it too.

#7 OFFLINE   Islandkiwi

Islandkiwi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 08:53 PM

The platinum package costs around a hundred dollars, but it sounds like you get perks? It doesn't explain about the perks on the website, but it sounds like you're getting free stuff thrown in?

#8 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:30 AM

The platinum package costs around a hundred dollars, but it sounds like you get perks? It doesn't explain about the perks on the website, but it sounds like you're getting free stuff thrown in?

The difference between the gold and the platinum is you get all the premium movie channels (and threee of the HD equivalents) and you are waived the Dvr charge.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#9 OFFLINE   topcats69

topcats69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:10 AM

and 30 a month or so

#10 OFFLINE   emkay99

emkay99

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:25 AM

IslandKiwi, you should also know that with the 622 you won't see any programming information for the OTA channels like you would with the 811. Using the DVR with OTA channels is a little like programming a VCR.

#11 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 01:42 AM

You will get guide information if you subscribe to your locals. It was not clear if IslandKiwi had the locals in his plan or I am way too tired. Long weekend.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#12 OFFLINE   chasby

chasby

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:07 AM

I have a 501 DVR and 811 HD receiver pair and would upgrade instantly except for the ridiculous non-programming additional monthly costs of DVR fee ($6.00), Lease fee ($6.00), Warranty added fee ($4.00), and no-telephone hook-up penalty fee ($5.00). So that's at least $21.00 added to my current $116.00 per month fee and that doesn't include the fees for any added programming!!!
As I mentioned in a previous post, I subscribe to an on-line HDTV magazine that sends me a daily E-mail listing of all HD programming for my available HD channels (Dish HD+all VOOM MPEG2 channels) and it is VERY rare when I find one new program of interest on any given day.
Unless Dishnet finds a way for enhanced HD programming content or drops all those extra monthly fees I'll be staying with my old receivers.
chasby

#13 OFFLINE   Islandkiwi

Islandkiwi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 04:56 PM

I've got to admit, I'm having trouble justifying the cost of the service now, let alone adding 20+dollars/month to it.

I guess I'm not much of a tv watcher. But I have been watching the World Cup, and of course MNF is on ESPN this season.

And I need a set top box to receive HD. Stupid tv!

I'm surprised, though. I thought for sure I'd be inundated with "It's great because..." messages, but that's not happening. I guess it is not time to upgrade.

spam firewall