Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Closed Caption Not Working

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mheisen

mheisen

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:14 PM

I am a new 622 user. I like CC when mute (noisy house). I cannot get CC on any HD channels or the standard def channels (with the exception of one local that I also get through Dish) even with it turned on in the 622 menu. I have tried turning it on in my Toshiba HD TV as well, with no results. I have run RCA jacks from the SD output of the 622 into a second input in the TV with no results. Before the 622, I had a 508 plugged in with no problem at all with the CC.

I know it sounds a bit bizzare, but would appreciate any thoughts. I use HDMI to connect the High Def.

Thanks for your time.

Marc Eisen

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:41 AM

Marc,
The CC in general on the 622 is very problematic. There is no CC support at this time on Dish HD locals. You should however be receiving the CC coming from most of your other channels. Your TV will not receive the CC info when using the HDMI or Component outputs from the 622. The 622 does the decoding and the CC must be turned on in the menu. You should be getting CC via the TV when viewing via the SD (RCA) outputs from the 622 so long as the CC on your TV is enabled. Read page 90 in the 622 manual.
It seems funny that you are getting next to nothing as far as CC support. Double check to make sure that the CC is on in the 622 menu. You may also want to check the various settings in the CC menu. Make sure you are set for service-1. When I switch to the other service options, nothing appears. Also check the opacity setting. If the foreground and background are set to transparent, nothing will show on the TV.
My problem with the 622/CC is not a lack of CC but how it's improperly displayed.
Many of the display options do not work properly, there is missing text, and the CC is way out of sync on most programs.
If you continue to have problems the best thing to do is to call Dish and make an official complaint. I went through this with the 921. The problem is that not many people need or use the CC so not many complaints are lodged. As a result the CC bug is a low priority. Just keep calling and bugging them. I would also ask all of those on this site to lend a hand with this and give Dish a call to complain about the CC not working properly.

I am a new 622 user. I like CC when mute (noisy house). I cannot get CC on any HD channels or the standard def channels (with the exception of one local that I also get through Dish) even with it turned on in the 622 menu. I have tried turning it on in my Toshiba HD TV as well, with no results. I have run RCA jacks from the SD output of the 622 into a second input in the TV with no results. Before the 622, I had a 508 plugged in with no problem at all with the CC.

I know it sounds a bit bizzare, but would appreciate any thoughts. I use HDMI to connect the High Def.

Thanks for your time.

Marc Eisen

EAGLES

#3 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:56 PM

Sorry I had to ressurrect this thread, but I don't want to add another closed caption thread.

Is this even being considered a bug in the 622? I've had problems with CC on local HDs since I got the unit last April, and there have been numerous software updates that does not correct this error.

It does not help that Michael Scoffield talks hush-hush most of the time while the background score keeps thumping away with drums to heighten the suspense. I have a similar experience with the score on The Unit - I can't hear what they are saying unless I turn up the volume - at 11 PM on a weeknight! (most parents have to wait until the kids are tucked in to watch their shows).

Why, oh why can't this be fixed? If I view the same local HD show on TV 2, I can get my SD TV to display the CC. If I view Heroes on SciFi on TV1, I have CC. If I view HBOHD, I have CC.

Why can't I have CC on my local HDs? GRRR...

Please, software developers, include the fix for this on the next update.
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison from South Park
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." - Cluelessness from despair.com

#4 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:30 PM

Sorry I had to ressurrect this thread, but I don't want to add another closed caption thread.

Is this even being considered a bug in the 622? I've had problems with CC on local HDs since I got the unit last April, and there have been numerous software updates that does not correct this error.

It does not help that Michael Scoffield talks hush-hush most of the time while the background score keeps thumping away with drums to heighten the suspense. I have a similar experience with the score on The Unit - I can't hear what they are saying unless I turn up the volume - at 11 PM on a weeknight! (most parents have to wait until the kids are tucked in to watch their shows).

Why, oh why can't this be fixed? If I view the same local HD show on TV 2, I can get my SD TV to display the CC. If I view Heroes on SciFi on TV1, I have CC. If I view HBOHD, I have CC.

Why can't I have CC on my local HDs? GRRR...

Please, software developers, include the fix for this on the next update.

Compared to some of the other Dish HD receivers, CC works great on the Vip622. But it obviously has some problems.

Very problematic is the fact that they don't have CC working on some (all?) the HD locals. At one point they claimed that it is being broadcast, but there was a bug in some of the receivers. I read that as all the receivers.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:36 AM

CC does work on some HD locals. In Denver, CC's even in sync at least some of the time. I don't know why they still don't have it working on the rest of the digital locals, though.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#6 OFFLINE   Jolard

Jolard

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:12 AM

This is something I really would like too. There are times when there is a lot going on in the house that I like to just Mute the TV and read the sub titles. Just cuts down on the noise. However I don't like the 622 implementation.

First it is too hard to turn them off and on, I have to go deep in the menus, and it seems like it should just be a remote click, or at least have them come on automatically when I mute the TV.

Second, they don't work nearly enough as has been indicated above. Since I got my 622, none of the HD locals seem to work with the closed captioning.

I agree, lets get this fixed!

#7 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:25 AM

This is something I really would like too. There are times when there is a lot going on in the house that I like to just Mute the TV and read the sub titles. Just cuts down on the noise. However I don't like the 622 implementation.

First it is too hard to turn them off and on, I have to go deep in the menus, and it seems like it should just be a remote click, or at least have them come on automatically when I mute the TV.

Second, they don't work nearly enough as has been indicated above. Since I got my 622, none of the HD locals seem to work with the closed captioning.

I agree, lets get this fixed!

Simply working with the mute button is not going to happen as the mute button is a TV not receiver control. On one of my HDTV TV's it cycle between on and off, but on the others it cycles between full vol, half vol, and mute.

However a quick control of turning on and off CC for the receiver would be a great idea (perhaps with an option in the CC menu to say whether or not to enable this).
Ex Dish subscriber

#8 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:50 AM

As per Mark Lamutt's suggestion a while back, I e-mailed dishquality@echostar.com concerning a couple different CC issues including no CC support for my HD locals (Wash DC.), CC display problems, and CC sync problems. I sent them numerous screenshots and video clips highlighting the various problems. They also requested That I run some specific tests they described.
As far as I can tell, and what I was told by my Dish contact, these CC issues are known and being worked on by Dish engineers and "Will be corrected". Time will tell.
EAGLES

#9 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:48 AM

Thanks. I'll email that address as well.
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison from South Park
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." - Cluelessness from despair.com

#10 OFFLINE   rogburr

rogburr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:14 PM

Hello,

I have searched and have not found what I am looking for. So here goes.

I am close to ordering an HD installation that would include the ViP622, but after seeing some of the threads regarding poor CC on this device I am wondering if I should hold off for a while.

I could see where some of the new local HD channels might have CC problems because of the use of the newer MPEG4 compression, but CC on regular HD channels that provide CC should be working well. Also, CC on SD channels should be fine also.

What can I expect with the following HD channels in terms of CC: ESPNHD; ESPN2HD; TNTHD; DISCOVERYHD; HBOHD and any other HD channels that normally privide captioning?

Also, what about the standard definition channels?

I don't mind some problems with HD locals, but the other HD and SD channels should show CC well if I am to enjoy this dvr. If not, it would be a huge mistake for me to subscribe to E* since I rely heavily on captioning.

Thanks for you help.

Roger

#11 OFFLINE   yence99

yence99

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:11 AM

CC on TNT HD is basically worthless, always (!) a big delay. I think all the other channels you listed are ok.

#12 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:43 AM

:welcome_s rogburr. Hope you enjoy the site.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#13 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:51 AM

Simply working with the mute button is not going to happen as the mute button is a TV not receiver control.

I am using the same tv now with a 622 as I used with a 721. When using the 721, I could hit the mute button on the 721 remote and have CC. I tried setting that up when I got my 622, but it doesn't work. So, it was possible with at least one receiver--I didn't ever try it on others.

I did just read that when using HDMI with a 622 you won't get CC (in Eagle's earlier post), which is maybe why it's not working properly. I am using HDMI now and wasn't with the 721.

#14 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:22 PM

I am using the same tv now with a 622 as I used with a 721. When using the 721, I could hit the mute button on the 721 remote and have CC. I tried setting that up when I got my 622, but it doesn't work. So, it was possible with at least one receiver--I didn't ever try it on others.

I did just read that when using HDMI with a 622 you won't get CC (in Eagle's earlier post), which is maybe why it's not working properly. I am using HDMI now and wasn't with the 721.

CC that is imbedded in the SD video stream and is decoded by your TV when you hit mute. Actually I believe that still works with the 622. Anyone try it?

But the HD CC encoding is different.
Ex Dish subscriber

#15 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:33 PM

I am hard of hearing and wear aids for most of the day. At night when alone I like to remove them and just watch tv. Although it is difficult for me to follow the dialouge, CCs help me a great deal at times. I will have Dish Network installed tomorrow with the HD package (VIP622).

I am a bit confused about what I've read in this thread. Some people report HD does not contain CCs no matter what while others say some channels do, some don't. My D* is similar in this regard that some HD channels have them but most do not. In any event, am I right in assuming that if I hook up the 622 with HDMI or component, I will not receive ANY CCs on ANY stations? Or I simply won't have CCs on HD stations? And if I don't use component or HDMI, how am I going to have HD. I don't think I can get a HD picture at all with regular jack connections as those outputs are analog.

I guess my question is, what is the best way to view the 622 using CCs and what should the installer tomorrow set up to ensure they are working as well as the equipment allows?

#16 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:38 PM

I am hard of hearing and wear aids for most of the day. At night when alone I like to remove them and just watch tv. Although it is difficult for me to follow the dialouge, CCs help me a great deal at times. I will have Dish Network installed tomorrow with the HD package (VIP622).

I am a bit confused about what I've read in this thread. Some people report HD does not contain CCs no matter what while others say some channels do, some don't. My D* is similar in this regard that some HD channels have them but most do not. In any event, am I right in assuming that if I hook up the 622 with HDMI or component, I will not receive ANY CCs on ANY stations? Or I simply won't have CCs on HD stations? And if I don't use component or HDMI, how am I going to have HD. I don't think I can get a HD picture at all with regular jack connections as those outputs are analog.

I guess my question is, what is the best way to view the 622 using CCs and what should the installer tomorrow set up to ensure they are working as well as the equipment allows?

Most streams carry CC and almost all should. Several people have filed complaints against both DirecTv and Dish about not carrying CC.

Currently CC works on MOST of Dish's HD mpeg2 channels but not on most (all?) mpeg4 channels. Also does not work on the NY DISH HD channels (even CBS were it once worked).

Enable CC in menu 8,8,1.
Ex Dish subscriber

#17 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:38 PM

I just asked somewhat similar questions in another, related thread. I am hard of hearing and require CCs. I am having Dish installed tomorrow to take the place of D* which I have had for years. I have two HD set top boxes and a directivo. All handle CCs well, except on HD stations. My STB in the den does not do a good job of it as the CCs are not legible. The STB in the bedroom does a much better job. Standard def broadcasts are all good. I hope that the 622 will do at least as well as what I've been using - but I won't hold my breath.

#18 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:49 PM

To avoid splintering shortspark, I combined the threads.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#19 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:49 PM

I am not sure how it is on other locales, but I am in Los Angeles, and here is what's happening to me, shortspark:

Local HD (networks) do not have CC on TV1 connected via component
Local HD (networks) has CC on TV1 connected via composite
HBOHD has CC on TV1 connected via component
Local non-HD networks (channel range 2XX or 8XXX) has CC on TV1 connected via component
All channels that offer CC have CC on TV2 connected by composite

#20 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

I just asked somewhat similar questions in another, related thread. I am hard of hearing and require CCs. I am having Dish installed tomorrow to take the place of D* which I have had for years. I have two HD set top boxes and a directivo. All handle CCs well, except on HD stations. My STB in the den does not do a good job of it as the CCs are not legible. The STB in the bedroom does a much better job. Standard def broadcasts are all good. I hope that the 622 will do at least as well as what I've been using - but I won't hold my breath.

The reply I gave you on the other thread.

Most streams carry CC and almost all should. Several people have filed complaints against both DirecTv and Dish about not carrying CC.

Currently CC works on MOST of Dish's HD mpeg2 channels but not on most (all?) mpeg4 channels. Also does not work on the NY DISH HD channels (even CBS were it once worked).

Enable CC in menu 8,8,1.
Ex Dish subscriber

spam firewall