Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OTA local guide info lost

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   He Save Dave

He Save Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:06 PM

Ok I currently have an antenna for OTA HD locals. I got my dish installed a couple weeks ago and they mistakenly gave us locals. So I had my OTA locals and my locals from dish. I didn't see the use in paying the extra $$ for dish locals so I canceled them. Now the problem I have is that my receiver (622) won't show the guide info for my OTA locals. It did before I cancelled my dish locals. Now all it says is "Digital Service". Is there any way to make the guide show my OTA local programming info? Thanks in advance friends. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   emkay99

emkay99

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:26 PM

I have the same issue. Dish technical support told me the 622 gets the guide information from the digital broadcast, and said the Phoenix stations may broadcast the guide information over the analog channels.

#3 OFFLINE   He Save Dave

He Save Dave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:44 PM

I have the same issue. Dish technical support told me the 622 gets the guide information from the digital broadcast, and said the Phoenix stations may broadcast the guide information over the analog channels.

I receive guide info when I have my antenna hooked directly to my TV. It's broadcast with my digitals I believe. This makes me sad.:(

#4 OFFLINE   R_Childress

R_Childress

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:56 PM

Unless you subscribe to locals from DISH, you will not get guide info for locals on the 622.

#5 OFFLINE   He Save Dave

He Save Dave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:12 PM

Unless you subscribe to locals from DISH, you will not get guide info for locals on the 622.

Kind of pointless for me to have a dvr and no guide info. I really want to be able to record stuff from my OTA locals. :shrug:

#6 OFFLINE   emkay99

emkay99

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:25 PM

Kind of pointless for me to have a dvr and no guide info. I really want to be able to record stuff from my OTA locals. :shrug:

I can't agree with you more, and to pay another $6/month for the local channel guide - well that's ridiculous.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,292 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 01:20 AM

Locals are only $5 more per month - and are REQUIRED for the ViP receivers and the 921/942 to display guide information for OTA.

#8 OFFLINE   Donp

Donp

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:21 AM

I have on older 811 and my guide info on the OTA's seem to work on the network affiliates ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox but channels like the PBS stations we have here (KET) just show up as "Local Digital" and do not display the program info like the others do. I'm in an overlap area for DMA but E* won't let me have my old locals I had before I moved, so I recieve them OTA and have the locals from the other town blocked out. How come I get the program list from some stations and not others.

#9 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:46 AM

I have a 622 and DO NOT subscribe to locals. I use TitanTv.com to help manually schedule locals recording, it is a small inconvenience, but I don't mind. I am a little tight.

#10 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:04 AM

If the 622 gets the program guide from the local station's PSIP data than the guide should not disappear if you cancel LIL's. In reality, the guide data comes from the satellite data for the SD LIL's. "You no subscribe, you no get guide" :P :mad:

This is a stinking policy on E*'s part.

Even the paying subscribers don;t get a full guide. That is due to the PBS stations lack of conformity (perhaps due to a lack of budget). With the commecial stations the SD and HD feeds show the same program 99.99% of the time. With PBS it's 0.009%.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#11 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

You'll need to subscribe to the locals in order to get the Guide info.

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

You'll need to subscribe to the locals in order to get the Guide info.

What do DVR owners do who live in markets not carried on E*? Are they just out of luck? Do most of them "move"?

#13 OFFLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Registered
  • 544 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:41 PM

Even the paying subscribers don;t get a full guide. That is due to the PBS stations lack of conformity (perhaps due to a lack of budget). With the commecial stations the SD and HD feeds show the same program 99.99% of the time. With PBS it's 0.009%.

My PBS was messed up because Zap To It, which pprovides Dish's guide info, had a couple of the PBS channels reversed, showing main programming as on the -02 subchannel instead of the -01.I had to get the local affiliate to contact them as my attempts to raise the issue direct were ignored.

#14 OFFLINE   mick70

mick70

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 04:27 PM

Will I must live a good life. I do not Sub to locals I use OTA to get my digital stuff. I do have the guide on my 921, but not for the PBS HD channel (009-05)Seattle. I guess when I get aroud to upgrading to a 622 It will go away. However I will have the install guy look at what I have before the install and expect to have on my 622 that I have on my 921!

#15 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:47 PM

Will I must live a good life. I do not Sub to locals I use OTA to get my digital stuff. I do have the guide on my 921, but not for the PBS HD channel (009-05)Seattle. I guess when I get aroud to upgrading to a 622 It will go away. However I will have the install guy look at what I have before the install and expect to have on my 622 that I have on my 921!

There are a handful of subs who don't subscribe to their locals but still get OTA guide data. While I can't say for sure (none of them will divulge the "secret") I'm willing to bet it may have someting to do with subscribing to Distants (since the distants feeds are also used as theLIL feeds for their respective markets). Since the majority of us don't qualify for the distants it's a moot point. OTOH if a Superstation subscription would work to unlock the guide data, I'd be willing to get those. I just don't want to have to pay for channels I'd never watch (i.e. the overcompressed SD versions of my locals).

BTW: Even the "paying" subs don't get PBS guide data on their digital OTA channels.

#16 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:25 PM

They're collecting a DVR fee which supposedly includes NBR but then make you pay again to get the names. :nono2:
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#17 OFFLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Registered
  • 544 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

BTW: Even the "paying" subs don't get PBS guide data on their digital OTA channels.

I do, on the digital channel that mirrors their main analog channel lineup.

#18 OFFLINE   kb7oeb

kb7oeb

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:54 PM

The guide data for my local PBS used to be carried, even for PBS-HD and the SD mirror and was unique because it showed when the station prempted PBSHD for a nightly local show. The digital station used to go off-air from 11pm to 7am but then went full time. Months went by and dish still listed it as off air every night and I noticed at my Moms house the local cable company was doing the same so I shot an email off to the station to let them know, a few days later dish removed the EPG for the station completly. I think it might be my fault about the lack of PBS guide ;)

Dish should not be charging for local guide data until they are ready to provide it completly. If they don't want to do it then they should configure the receiver to pull it from PSIP.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:49 PM

Dish should not be charging for local guide data until they are ready to provide it completly. If they don't want to do it then they should configure the receiver to pull it from PSIP.

For the record, PSIP is not always there or complete either. I have a standalone receiver for HD in another room, and it uses PSIP to get program guide info. It is never more than an hour or two in advance and many channels are blank in the guide.

IF the PSIP info was always there, then I would ask Dish to support it... but as it is, it is a crapshoot depending on where you are and how well your local channels maintain it.

#20 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:14 PM

I personally get PBS guide data for my locals and I know of a number of other DMAs that also get it through Dish.

As for supplying PSIP support, at one time I thought this was a good idea and I have long since changed my my mind. Reason for the change was, after reading about all the variations in the quality of PSIP guide information I could see what a nightmare it would be for a NBR based box to do such a thing. Is there any PSIP based DVRs in the market that are doing this across the nation? I think that speaks volumes to the reason not to support it.

If DIsh was to do this and people missed shows because of poor PSIP guide information, the blame would go Dish's way and personally I don't blame them for wanting to control this aspect of the process.

I personally think people have legit grips when it comes to having to pay for locals to get guide information and I urge each person that feels this is not fair to voice their opinions. However, I don't personally support adding PSIP support for reasons mentioned above.

Also, As for accurace.. Boy that is a tough one to do across the nation given Dish's topology and from the posts I have read there is a lot of scenarios.

Personally I would like for Dish to change this policy, but wanting it and having it a occur is two different things. For me, if it is a matter of not having guide data or paying the monthly fee I choose the guide data because it makes my life easier. Each of us have to weight this and make our own mind.

Does this make Dish evil? Not in my book. Just as a car company adding a market adjustment to certain vehicles does not make the car company evil.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

spam firewall