Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Sales Unethical

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   emkay99

emkay99

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:03 PM

I recently had a 622 installed. Upon checking my online account activity, I noticed that the receiver is actually leased. I was not, repeat NOT, notified by Dish network that the promotion was for a leased receiver.

I just spoke with customer service and informed them that they never notified me of the lease agreement. Customer service replied by saying, "When I agreed to the lease...", etc. They kept insisting that I was told about the lease and agreed to it. IMHO this is unethical and possibly illegal. Dish customer service is obviously well trained and/or experienced with dealing with such issues.

In addition to the surprise lease payments, I had to "upgrade" my programming (i.e., I pay more for programming now). I was aware of the additional programming cost, but was not aware that 622's program guide does not support OTA channels.

My advice to all is to STAY AWAY FROM DISH NETWORK!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:22 PM

did you honestly think you just got it for free?
Did you pay a couple hundred bucks up front? That's what I thought.
HD receiver means HD programming which costs more than SD programming. You don't have to actually have the HD programming, but it will cost you a $6.00 fee per month to have the HD receiver without the HD programming.
If you are a new customer, and you have activated your service within the last 30 days I would suggest doing the money back guarantee that dish is offering and leave (since you are obviously not happy). If you are an existing customer and did an upgrade, then you should have known that the programming would cost more and that the receivers you had before were probably leased as well.
I have had Dish for a long time and are very happy and think EVERYONE SHOULD GET DISH NETWORK!:D

#3 OFFLINE   emkay99

emkay99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:33 PM

did you honestly think you just got it for free?
Did you pay a couple hundred bucks up front? That's what I thought.
HD receiver means HD programming which costs more than SD programming. You don't have to actually have the HD programming, but it will cost you a $6.00 fee per month to have the HD receiver without the HD programming.
If you are a new customer, and you have activated your service within the last 30 days I would suggest doing the money back guarantee that dish is offering and leave (since you are obviously not happy). If you are an existing customer and did an upgrade, then you should have known that the programming would cost more and that the receivers you had before were probably leased as well.
I have had Dish for a long time and are very happy and think EVERYONE SHOULD GET DISH NETWORK!:D

As I noted in my original post, I was aware that I would need to upgrade programming and that would have additional cost. I was told that the upgrade was necessary to qualify for the promotion.

I was not told that this receiver or any other receiver I have had is/was leased.

I am offended by your "did you honestly think you just got it for free" remark. Of course not. On top of the $200, I will need to pay (a lot) for programming for some time. I am a consumer and am not an expert on Dish Netork's business model. I took what they told me at face value, which is obviously a mistake.

#4 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:50 PM

you didn't answer the new or existing customer question. If you are new customer, then you have an out which, as you are obviously unhappy with your dish experience, I might suggest you take. It called "Money Back Guarantee", which with Dish, you are more than welcome to cancel within the first 30 days of activation.

#5 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:53 PM

If he had to upgrade his programming, then he is not a new customer.

Anyway, I would just deactivate the receiver and return it if you feel so inclined. HOWEVER, if the unit was professionalling installed, you should have had to sign some paperwork. IF that paperwork says it is leased, then unfortunately, it's your issue from lack of reading the contract. You will not have any real recourse. ALWAYS read the contracts.
Haven't logged on in almost 2 years. Haven't done installs in a long time. Good luck.

#6 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:01 PM

My advise is that anyone wishing to acquire a service or product to learn about that service or product first before agreeing to terms they were never "told" about.

From the 622 upgrade page on Dish Network's web site
http://www.dishnetwo...vers/vip622dvr/
Lease upgrade fee of $199.99 applies for ViP622 DVR receiver.

In several other places on the Dish web site:
Lease Upgrade Fees: Customer must pay a $49.99 lease upgrade fee for the ViP 211 receiver and a $299.99 lease upgrade fee for the ViP 622 DVR receiver. The lease upgrade fees are not deposits and are non-refundable.

If the customer does not do at least some research, they cannot cry "foul" when the terms were not things are not the same as what was assumed.

See ya
Tony

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#7 OFFLINE   emkay99

emkay99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:11 PM

Points well taken. Information was available. I see it this way though. Say you went into a restaurant and saw a rib eye on the menu for $20. You order it, and when your bill comes you are charged $25. On the bottom of the menu there is a note that says there is a $5 fee for cooking your steak. Would you be happy with that? Do you always read the entire menu?

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:22 PM

Well... if you agree to a contract without reading it... then you have no one to blame but yourself.

In your example of the steak on the menu, you would be to blame for not reading the entire menu... yes indeedy. But it's a faulty example because restaurants are legally required to cook the steak to a certain point due to health regulations (i.e. you cannot order one raw in a restaurant legally)... so you would be legally able to claim that you assumed the listed price included minimal cooking time due to legal regulations that require it.

In the case of the Dish receiver... you sound like an existing customer who upgraded... in which you have no excuse for not knowing you were doing a lease upgrade. If you are a new customer and I am misreading your post, then as others have noted you can cancel within the first few days without penalty I believe and go on your merry way if you are truly unhappy with the deal.

#9 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:30 PM

I would be kicking myself for NOT READING THE MENU!! I would not blame the restaurant for not telling me something that is clearly written on the menu I ordered from! :) Really. I would.

Here is something that just happened to me. I needed a power converter since I am planning to travel over seas and need to hook up my 110watts60Hz "stuff" to the Indian power system which is 220watts/50Hz. I went to my favorite on-line store and found an adaptor for only $15. I bought it. When I got it, I quickly opened the package and examined the product. There was a sticker across the plug that stated "Does not convert voltage". It was a PLUG adaptor and not a VOLTAGE and plug adaptor. I looked at the package I tore open and on the outside on the bottom it clearly stated in bold letters, "Does not convert voltage. Products must be able to use 110~240 volts 50/60Hz." My reaction was "no one ever told me!" So I went to the web store I bought it through and looked at the description again. At the bottom under the specs..."This adator allows you to connect your 110~220watt 50/60 Hz equipment to any recepticle in the world." Nowhere did it say it was a voltage adaptor. So guess what? I have a special recepticle adaptor for my laptop (the only item that can handle the voltages) and I still need a voltage adaptor for the rest of my "stuff".

So...do I blame the web store for not "telling me" that I was buying the wrong thing? Or was it my own fault for not looking carefully at what I was agreeing to?

I understand the frustration. But the anger is misplaced.

BTW I did purchase a voltage adaptor yesterday for only $25. This time I was careful to check that it could handle the specific equipment I was planning to connect to it! :)

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#10 OFFLINE   emkay99

emkay99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:09 AM

TNG, you have much greater tolerance than I. That is commendable.

#11 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:58 AM

TNG, you have much greater tolerance than I. That is commendable.

emkay you are a typical American consumer you "ASSUME" and you know what that means it makes an A** out of U & ME. You have no one to blame except yourself when you sign a contract that says "LEASE AGREEMENT" you aren't buying it. Directv does do a better job in their advertising declaring it is a lease, DISH is looking for the poor consumers like you. Dish stays on the fine line between legal and fraudulent. Of course that is one of the reasons they have a large legal department.:)

#12 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:08 AM

... Do you always read the entire menu?

Only before ordering.:eek2:

Do you always read the contract befor signing?:rolleyes:

#13 OFFLINE   RichP

RichP

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:09 AM

I recently had a 622 installed. Upon checking my online account activity, I noticed that the receiver is actually leased. I was not, repeat NOT, notified by Dish network that the promotion was for a leased receiver.

I just spoke with customer service and informed them that they never notified me of the lease agreement. Customer service replied by saying, "When I agreed to the lease...", etc. They kept insisting that I was told about the lease and agreed to it. IMHO this is unethical and possibly illegal. Dish customer service is obviously well trained and/or experienced with dealing with such issues.

In addition to the surprise lease payments, I had to "upgrade" my programming (i.e., I pay more for programming now). I was aware of the additional programming cost, but was not aware that 622's program guide does not support OTA channels.

My advice to all is to STAY AWAY FROM DISH NETWORK!

I'm sort of confused here, as a recent 622 customer myself. The only fee they hit me with is the "DVR" fee, which is $6. There is no "lease fee" on my bill, and I only paid the $199 up front as well.

The one thing that I do think is bogus is they double-charge me a DVR fee, for the 622 and the 625 I have. That's my fault for not reading, though. It's still cheaper than the monthly Tivo fee I was paying for 1 box.

#14 OFFLINE   richardcrogers

richardcrogers

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:24 AM

Have you priced out an actual purchase of the 622 model? Check Ebay.

The lease price of $199 for two years (and then you own it) can't be beat.

Granted your monthly subscription fee is going to go up (to accomodate the HD channels and DVR fees) - but in comparision to Cable - Dish Network still has the best price.

My 2 cents worth.

#15 OFFLINE   sluggo

sluggo

Legend

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:15 AM

what makes you think you own it after 2 years?

#16 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:16 AM

Because you don't.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#17 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:16 AM

Excellent question.

#18 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:25 AM

The lease price of $199 for two years (and then you own it) can't be beat.

Where did you get that idea???

You can purchase a 622 at places like the DishStore for ~$600. By "leasing" you are getting it for $200. If the technology gets to be obsolete (like it did with the 921/942) you are not out the $1000 some of those owners paid.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#19 OFFLINE   RichP

RichP

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:46 AM

Where did you get that idea???

You can purchase a 622 at places like the DishStore for ~$600. By "leasing" you are getting it for $200. If the technology gets to be obsolete (like it did with the 921/942) you are not out the $1000 some of those owners paid.

Yeah, I actually like the leasing. I have no problem paying only $200 for a box like the 622, and then returning it after X years. It's not a car that will never get obsolete; I'm positive in 5 years, I'll want something bigger and better. So I'll return it to Dish, and pay another $200 for the latest and greatest. And then five years after THAT, repeat the same cycle. So, for buying a 622 to make sense as opposed to leasing, I'd have to keep it for 15 years.

Maybe someone who bought a 622 can chime in and correct my thinking, but I don't see how buying makes sense in this scenario.

#20 OFFLINE   james39

james39

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:54 AM

It makes more sense to lease if you constantly want the latest and greatest in your home. I think it's pretty sleazy to charge a "lease upgrade fee", if you're only going to be paying monthly to continue the lease anyway. If you aren't reading the contracts (and shame on you if you don't), it can surely seem that dropping $200 on something should be enough $$$ to seem like a purchase, and not a lease.

Also, Dish should offer lease-to-own offers.. after you pay out so much money over the term, it seems only fair you should own the hardware by the time you've paid the full value.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...