Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The little man in the sky

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cara

Cara

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 03:08 PM

I swear to God, there's a little man in the sky who likes to screw with me - he flicks the satellite on and off at his discretion and he's really starting to piss me off.

When DISH Network switched satellites for our local channels, we lost the local channels. I called, they said wait three days. Three days later, the locals came back but would we would lose the signal from about 1 p.m. until 8 p.m.

I called, they said someone would have to come to the house and we'd have to pay. Screw that, like the ba**ards don't get enough of my money.

The day after I called (and yes, we went through all the idiot instructions - duh, turn the receiver off, yada yada yada) we started having issues with OTHER (non-local) channels. At exactly 4:03 pm every day, we lose have our channels and they come on again, if we're lucky, at 7:00 p.m. It seems to be various spotbeams on Satellite 119.

Obviously, this is an issue in the sky, right? Or is there something that can be done at my end?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:26 PM

Cara Welcome to the Forum!.Sounds like your having a heat related problem with
your LNB.Call DISH sign up for their warranty plan if you have had the system over
90 days.You will be able to get it fixed at a reduced cost.If under 90 days call the
installer who installed it.Good Luck!.

#3 OFFLINE   Cara

Cara

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:23 AM

Cara Welcome to the Forum!.Sounds like your having a heat related problem with
your LNB.Call DISH sign up for their warranty plan if you have had the system over
90 days.You will be able to get it fixed at a reduced cost.If under 90 days call the
installer who installed it.Good Luck!.

Thanks for the welcome. OK, idiot question but do you mean "heat" as in temperature?

And, frankly, the warranty plan seems scammish to me, true?

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,710 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:18 AM

Yes we mean "heat" as in temperature - apparently you got some bad LNBFs that are more heat sensitive than they should be.

And you don't have to keep the plan going - just activate for the minimum time to get your service completed, then cancel it.

It also sounds like your dish pointing is marginal. That should also be covered by the install.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:19 AM

Try making a "tent" of aluminum foil over the LNB part of the dish, and leave that up for a while, to keep it cool. Then, after 4:03 PM, remove the foil and quickly check to see if the channels are still bad. If they are working then, that would appear to be a heat-related problem within the LNB. (While up there, see if there is any moisture condensing inside the white feed window of the LNB after it gets warmed back up).

The "4:03" time thing seems a bit funny. Maybe the sun only hits the dish and LNB at that particular time of the day, due to being blocked by the edge of the house or trees at other times. Or, if you have a multiswitch (or, even the grounding block) mounted somewhere so that it gets hit by the sun at a certain time of day, that might be the problem. Or, there could be moisture in one of the connectors, and the heat makes it vaporize enough to "short out" the high RF frequencies.

You don't have a sprinkler coming on at 4:03 every day, do you?

#6 OFFLINE   Cara

Cara

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:51 AM

The last time I heard the "aluminum foil" tent thing, I was advising a nutjob to wear a hat so the aliens would stop sending him messages ... that may be appropriate b/c this issue is driving me insane.

We do not have sprinklers on and I just went out and looked at the whole shebang and it looks like everything is dry and normal. Everything looks nice and tight, too.

Re: the multiswitch, when I do all the testing through the remote, it tells me I have an error in my multidish system and to run a checkswitch test. When I do that, everything, it says everything is fine. Could this be the culprit?

A year ago, we had problems with the locals channels and the dude (and I use that term as it is quite appropriate - he was definitely a "dude") said we had a weak signal from that satellite to begin with and we'd always have trouble with the locals. But like I said, he was a "dude" and he came out for free b/c I bitched enough at the rep on the phone.

Anyway, the sun thing is confusing to me b/c we really haven't had a problem until they switched satellites. (I really want to blame something on their end, can't you tell?)

I am almost to the point of cancelling the whole thing and watching my three fuzzy channels through bunny ears ...

#7 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:21 AM

Cara, do you have any new microwave transmitters nearby? Military or Other? I live near an FBI building. I had to relocate one dish so it was not in line with their signal. What their signal did was make the satellite signal disappear.

#8 OFFLINE   Cara

Cara

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:29 AM

Cara, do you have any new microwave transmitters nearby? Military or Other? I live near an FBI building. I had to relocate one dish so it was not in line with their signal. What their signal did was make the satellite signal disappear.

Ahahaha, no! We have cows near by! But having lived near military installations before, that's the first thing I thought of! (It's not paranoia if it's true.)

I just got off the phone with tech support again (I get different answers each time I call). This one said there was a problem receiving signals for 105 and I needed a tech guy. But I thought we no longer used 105 and were not routed through 110 and 119? Sigh.

Anyway, she also said they've gotten other reports of losing signals and certain times of the day BUT then she said it was a problem with my dish specifically. Seems contradictory, no?

#9 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:07 AM

If you are on the edge of the spotbeam, what you may be experiencing is "satellite wobble". If you are subscribed to the proper DMA's locals this should not be an issue (one exception: Salt Lake City - that DMA was so large that portions fell outside the original spotbeam. I hope they fixed that probelm by now). If you dish is properly alligned and you are subbed to the correct locals wobble is not your problem.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#10 OFFLINE   Cara

Cara

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:45 AM

I hope they fixed that probelm by now). If you dish is properly alligned and you are subbed to the correct locals wobble is not your problem.

How can I tell if it's alligned properly? Is this something I can do myself or am I at the mercy of a tech "dude"?

#11 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:56 AM

There is a signal strenght screen on all receivers. On my receiver it's in menu 6,2 (dish aim). Go to the 119 satellite on transponder 11. If you are properly aimed you shoud be getting well over 100 on the screen. Do the same for the 110 satellite on transponder 11. These are "full CONUS" transponders - they hit the lower 48 states more or less equally. Any weakness or excess fluctuation on these transponders means your dish may not be properly alligned.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#12 OFFLINE   Cara

Cara

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:21 PM

I've done that, everything is A-OK.

#13 OFFLINE   Cara

Cara

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:17 PM

The little man shut us off earlier today (I swear it worsens with every customer service call I make) and here's the deal:

The locals were long gone by 11 a.m. - typical 002 message.

The other channels were gone with an 002 message. Running all the diagnostics, it said we had 22 signal outages from 9:21am to 2:21am. I checked the signal strengths and everything is coming up as 100-114, even on the transponders that are supposed to be faulty. I don't get it. How can I not get a signal off 119, spotbeam 8 yet when I check that particular strength it comes up at 114?

It says there's an error with the multdish table yet when I run a checkswitch, everything comes up lovely. (Alhtough the polarity varies, depending on when I check it - is that normal?)

And oh yeah, I felt the dish components and nothing is hot - nothing so hot I had to pull away, just normal temp for a Georgia summer.

Any thoughts?

#14 OFFLINE   DJ Lon

DJ Lon

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:09 PM

The little man shut us off earlier today (I swear it worsens with every customer service call I make) and here's the deal:

The locals were long gone by 11 a.m. - typical 002 message.

The other channels were gone with an 002 message. Running all the diagnostics, it said we had 22 signal outages from 9:21am to 2:21am. I checked the signal strengths and everything is coming up as 100-114, even on the transponders that are supposed to be faulty. I don't get it. How can I not get a signal off 119, spotbeam 8 yet when I check that particular strength it comes up at 114?

It says there's an error with the multdish table yet when I run a checkswitch, everything comes up lovely. (Alhtough the polarity varies, depending on when I check it - is that normal?)

And oh yeah, I felt the dish components and nothing is hot - nothing so hot I had to pull away, just normal temp for a Georgia summer.

Any thoughts?

I just had this happen to me (http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=60052) and it was indeed heat-related issues with the LNBF. My channels would promptly disappear at 11 AM and everything would return back to normal about 6 PM. The tech that replaced my LNBF said there's been a rash of them failing lately.

Good luck! :)

Dish Network sub 4/2005-7/2010 · DirecTV sub 7/2010-present · HR34/700 (on 5th replacement, 2014),
HR24/500 (orig install, 2010), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2011), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2014) · Yes, 11 tuners! biggrin.gif

#15 OFFLINE   Cara

Cara

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:15 PM

I just had this happen to me (http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=60052) and it was indeed heat-related issues with the LNBF. My channels would promptly disappear at 11 AM and everything would return back to normal about 6 PM. The tech that replaced my LNBF said there's been a rash of them failing lately.

Good luck! :)

Sounds just like me - although we've always gone through the 800 number, is it possible to call a local retailer? Or evena satellite tech freelancer? I'm so damn sick of the reps on the phone at the 800 number.

#16 OFFLINE   DJ Lon

DJ Lon

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:19 PM

Sounds just like me - although we've always gone through the 800 number, is it possible to call a local retailer? Or evena satellite tech freelancer? I'm so damn sick of the reps on the phone at the 800 number.

Check the thread I included above and read Mr-Rick's comments and all will be explained. :)

Dish Network sub 4/2005-7/2010 · DirecTV sub 7/2010-present · HR34/700 (on 5th replacement, 2014),
HR24/500 (orig install, 2010), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2011), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2014) · Yes, 11 tuners! biggrin.gif

#17 OFFLINE   Cara

Cara

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:28 PM

Sorry, meant to be more specific. I don't have the warranty, will an indie work for me? (And thanks for the thread link!)

#18 OFFLINE   DJ Lon

DJ Lon

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:36 PM

Sorry, meant to be more specific. I don't have the warranty, will an indie work for me? (And thanks for the thread link!)

You need to sign up for DHP otherwise it's gonna cost you $99.00 for the service call.

#19 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:40 PM

I also think it's heat related. But, there is hope. They launched the space shuttle yesterday. Along with resupplying the space station, they are going to take a side trip to feed the little man. Hopefully, if they bring him the right food he will leave you alone. :D
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#20 OFFLINE   Cara

Cara

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:45 PM

I also think it's heat related. But, there is hope. They launched the space shuttle yesterday. Along with resupplying the space station, they are going to take a side trip to feed the little man. Hopefully, if they bring him the right food he will leave you alone. :D

OK, Richard, I LOVE you for that! ;) Please tell me you were not being sarcastic.

The Dish rep said it would cost us $49, not $99 ... still, I'd much rather wait for the little man to be fed and see if that works before I shell out any more moola to anyone. (Yeah, I'm cheap but it's also a matter of principle at this point.)

Translation: any chance this will "heal itself"?

spam firewall