Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

In Line Amplifier!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EasternNC

EasternNC

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:11 PM

How do you know if you need an in line amplifier?? Is it always mandatory when your cable run exceeds 100ft??? Where would you install an amp? halfway or in the middle of the cable run or next to the dish or inside house behind TV??

I was just curious.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:08 AM

I would think near the tv, since that is where the amplification was needed.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

#3 OFFLINE   Larry G

Larry G

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:55 AM

How do you know if you need an in line amplifier?? Is it always mandatory when your cable run exceeds 100ft??? Where would you install an amp? halfway or in the middle of the cable run or next to the dish or inside house behind TV??

I was just curious.

Here's some info from the AT9 (MPEG4 HD) dish installation manual. I hope it helps:)
" For installations where the ... cable runs from the receiver(s) to the LNB far exceeds 100' (150' or more) ... you need to use an AC power booster module to bias the LNB."
"You will also need an additional RF signal amplifier to compensate the signal amplitude loss."

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:55 AM

An in line amp is rarely needed unless your runs exceed a couple of hundred feet. I have run over 400 feet without needing an amp, although that is not recommended.

If you do use one, you want to place it as close to the antenna/dish as possible. The point is to amplify the good signal. By placing it at the tv, you are dealing with the already weaker signal and are amplifying the noise.

Also, if you need to boost the dc voltage (as noted by Larry G), then that voltage boost needs to be placed where the device can (a) properly detect the voltage levels coming from the receiver, and (B) supply the dish with the proper voltages. Depending on the length of the run, that might be closer to the middle as opposed to one end or the other.

Carl

#5 OFFLINE   Phil Olson

Phil Olson

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:40 PM

I may be about 200 feet out with my dish. Where can I find a suitable power booster and in line amp? Can I use any old amp as long as the booster is between it and the dish?

Thanks,
Phil

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,857 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:46 PM

Phil Olson: I would suggest first trying a hookup without using the additional equipment. Only go to the extra stuff if you have problems. At 200 feet, you should be okay.

I have not personally used an amplifier, so am not able to recommend one. As far as boosting the DC feeds to the dish, a powered multiswitch will do that just fine. Depending on what dish you have will determine at least in part what multiswitch you need.

Carl

spam firewall