Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local Channels - Odd Situation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jasjar

jasjar

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:58 AM

I live in an area where the city that my zip code relates to is in a different county than where my physical address is located.

For example, my zip is 35552 which is Detroit, AL. Detroit, AL is located in Lamar County. My physical address is in Marion County.

Marion County residents get local channels from Birmingham, AL. Lamar County residents (they think I am one) get local channels from Tupelo/Columbus, MS.

Is there anything I can do to get my local channels from Birmingham, AL?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   davidrumm

davidrumm

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:12 AM

Call them and have them change the county in their system. If it does go by county then with the correct county listed it should give you the correct locals.

#3 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:27 PM

This is not directly addressing your DirecTv situation, but when I moved into my house 13 years ago, I was in the same situation. The zip code was 55107 which is assigned to St. Paul, MN (Ramsey County).

My house is located in Dakota County. By the time I had moved in, the people here were already working with the Post Office (or whatever entity has that resposibility) to get the zip code for this small area changed to 55118, which is West St. Paul (totally different city than St. Paul and located in Dakota County).

Kind of nice because it also lowered my auto insurance as 55118 was less of a risk area than 55107.

Don't know how viable that is, but I always use the Dakota County versus Ramsey County when there is a misunderstanding.

I was always under the impression that D* worked off of zip coeds, but that's not based on anything that I could stand on.

Good luck - sorry I can't be of help.

#4 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:56 PM

D* does work off Zip codes, but recognizes that they often span multiple counties that may comprise different DMAs.

#5 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:08 PM

D* does work off Zip codes, but recognizes that they often span multiple counties that may comprise different DMAs.

Yes, and make sure the agent puts the county in for you as well.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...