Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pause Live TV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Geetung

Geetung

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:56 PM

Hello, I have a question about the receiver ability to pause live TV. I read the ads and brochures but it seem weird. If I pause a show at 8:00 and come back at 8:30 to watch it. Won't the time be out of sync...I hope what I'm asking make sense. Thank you

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,799 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

:welcome_s

You just watch it 30 minutes behind live ... and if there are commercials use the "SKIP FWD" button to jump 30 seconds ahead in your program to catch up to 'live'.

#3 OFFLINE   Ddavis

Ddavis

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:05 AM

My new all time unfavorite new words are "Live TV" when I skip forward after a pause or rewind.:grin:
DDavis - Dish Since 11/1997
PVR 522 & PVR 510 Owned
PVR 510 & Two Dish VIP722k Leased
Dish 1000 with DP Twin LNB and DP Dual LNB - Dish 500 with DP Dual LNB
Two DPP-44's

#4 OFFLINE   psnarula

psnarula

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:17 AM

yes, i too am bummed out to realize that i have to pause and go find something else to do for a bit or else be subjected to commercials...

#5 OFFLINE   Cold Irons

Cold Irons

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:48 AM

I love it! We now never start watching a half-hour show until 11 mins. after the start...or an hour show until 22 minutes after the start!
Dish: DVR 501/722/622 - with Gold HD + OTA CM4228
"She said: You can't repeat the past."
"I said: You can't? Whattya mean you can't...of course you can."

#6 OFFLINE   psnarula

psnarula

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:35 AM

the best was watching hockey during the NHL playoffs. i would wait about an hour and a half after the tv coverage begun before starting to watch. i'd skip all the pre-game, both intermissions, and all the time in between face-offs and i generally got caught up to real time with about 5 minutes left in the third period. i watched a three hour game in half the time...

#7 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:46 PM

the best was watching hockey during the NHL playoffs. i would wait about an hour and a half after the tv coverage begun before starting to watch. i'd skip all the pre-game, both intermissions, and all the time in between face-offs and i generally got caught up to real time with about 5 minutes left in the third period. i watched a three hour game in half the time...

Yeah it works almost perfectly with football games, with the play clock set for 30 seconds, you can skip forward as soon as the whistle stops the play and you will be right at the hike/start of the next play. It works most of the time. I have watched every single play of a game in an hour. Its pretty cool, you can get caught up on games you missed without devoting a whole day to the effort.

For baseball it is much more difficult because pitchers all have a different pacing, but some who are slow take almost 30 seconds between pitches.

I found I could watch an entire World Cup soccer match in about 1/4 the time by watching the whole game at 4x speed. Its much more interesting that way anyway. :-). Or just FF until you see the score change (which is generally like NEVER). And then just back up a minute and watch each goal.

For primetime, we generally watch 4 hour long shows in the time it used to take to watch just 3. And for shows that have all that recap stuff (i.e. American Idol), especially "results" shows, you can watch an hour long show in about 10 minutes.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#8 OFFLINE   Cold Irons

Cold Irons

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:59 AM

I found I could watch an entire World Cup soccer match in about 1/4 the time by watching the whole game at 4x speed. Its much more interesting that way anyway. :-). Or just FF until you see the score change (which is generally like NEVER). And then just back up a minute and watch each goal.

Exactly my 16 yr. old son's approach to the world cup! Wanted to see them all, but hard to fit in the time....sometimes watched in real-time, but often watched at 4x, or sometimes FF til the score changed. He loved it
Dish: DVR 501/722/622 - with Gold HD + OTA CM4228
"She said: You can't repeat the past."
"I said: You can't? Whattya mean you can't...of course you can."

#9 OFFLINE   Bozzmonster

Bozzmonster

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:24 PM

My new all time unfavorite new words are "Live TV" when I skip forward after a pause or rewind.:grin:

And I thought I was the only one bummed out by that message! :lol:

I've been with Dish about 9 months (love it!). I was 'sold' on the SBC telco offer of a $49 upgrade to a 522 DVR during installation last year. I didn't think I'd use it, but DVR has totally changed how I watch TV. I probably only watch about 50% live TV, and of that I pause at the beginning so I can fast forward through commercials. I think it is also a neat feature that I can watch recorded shows, but still view future schedules/schedule recording on new shows while watching recordings. Plus, I can set up timers to 'look' for any future shows now matter when they appear.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...