Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Vacation...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spykedvodka

spykedvodka

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:27 PM

I have a question.....

Now I know the "moving" situation has been talked about for a while now....

I have a legitiment question...

My wife and I are driving to Mexico from Pennsylvania. We're bringing a truckload of our old things down to give to her family in Tijuana. We are taking a month off to do this thing round trip. Anyways, it is during September and during Eagles season.......

If I bring my Dish down to Mexico (remember, only across the border from San Diego, and I know Dish works there - basically the same as moving to San Diego) will I be able to watch my Philly locals to watch my Eagles games? Or am I going to be screwed unless they have the games on Nation wide? Thank you very much!!

I'm only considering bringing the dish in the truckload of stuff we got if I'd be able to watch the Eagles games on the Philly local channels............. If not - then it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Also if I go - will I need TWO dish's or just one Dish 1000? I don't have the Dish 1000, I got the 2 dishes coz I'm in PA.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:46 PM

According to Tony's chart, the Philly SD locals are on a spotbeam on 110, and the HD locals are on 61.5. You wouldn't get either one on the West coast.

#3 OFFLINE   psnarula

psnarula

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:13 PM

dishchannelchart.com will show you that the philly locals are on 110 degrees, spot 4. the boundaries of that spotbeam hit only the northeast:

http://ekb.dbstalk.c...ts/e10spots.pdf

so you can't pick that up in california.

you can see all the spotbeam maps here:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/297

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

I have a question.....

Now I know the "moving" situation has been talked about for a while now....

I have a legitiment question...

My wife and I are driving to Mexico from Pennsylvania. We're bringing a truckload of our old things down to give to her family in Tijuana. We are taking a month off to do this thing round trip. Anyways, it is during September and during Eagles season.......

If I bring my Dish down to Mexico (remember, only across the border from San Diego, and I know Dish works there - basically the same as moving to San Diego) will I be able to watch my Philly locals to watch my Eagles games? Or am I going to be screwed unless they have the games on Nation wide? Thank you very much!!

I'm only considering bringing the dish in the truckload of stuff we got if I'd be able to watch the Eagles games on the Philly local channels............. If not - then it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Also if I go - will I need TWO dish's or just one Dish 1000? I don't have the Dish 1000, I got the 2 dishes coz I'm in PA.

Gee do you really need TV? Just enjoy the view, people. Just my opinion. :)

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,715 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:04 PM

He wants to watch the Eagles soar (or not). :D

Sorry ... the spots wont reach that far. RSNs and national sports coverage will physically work, not locals.

#6 OFFLINE   marty43

marty43

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:48 AM

get Sirius satellite radio and put in your vehical, they carry all NFL games nationwide, I believe.

#7 OFFLINE   spykedvodka

spykedvodka

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:06 AM

I guess then if I go... I'd have to get a D* subscription just for the Eagles games... Yes I am that die hard that I would pay that much for a D* subscription, just to cancel it and pay the cancelation costs. How much is their Football Package anyways?

#8 OFFLINE   spykedvodka

spykedvodka

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:10 AM

Oh and Marty - I do have Sirius Satellite Radio. They do NOT cover all NFL games but a select few. Last year I got lucky and they did carry the ones I missed when I was in Mexico (this is an annual thing - but last year was only a 1 week vacation). Also since it's so close to San Diego, we pick up the San Diego locals - so I got to watch the Philly - Atlanta game on TV coz it was the first Monday night game of the season, the following Sunday though - I got really lucky because they had it on Sirius. I have a buddy down there that has DirecTv, but I don't know if his wife would go for me being over there for 4 weeks in a row to watch a sometimes 3 hour + program drunk...LOL - Especially because they are Soccer Fans in Mexico.

#9 OFFLINE   spykedvodka

spykedvodka

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:13 AM

Oh and Paul - You've never been to Tijuana have you? Not the best place to get a "view" unless you want to go downtown and drink. Believe me after living there for 3 years before moving back here and missing all the Eagles games (cept the playoffs and a few monday night games) I missed all of it. I told my wife - we are never going to Mexico again during football season unless we have prior arrangements made for me to watch the game.

#10 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:54 AM

NFL Sunday Ticket is the only way you can see the Eagles every week. If the game gets blacked out on NFLST the game should be on the local San Diego station.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,662 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:20 AM

Gee do you really need TV? Just enjoy the view, people. Just my opinion. :)

Have you been to Tijauna lately? It isn't really what one would consider a resort (unless you're comparing it with Northern Juarez).

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,662 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:47 AM

I guess then if I go... I'd have to get a D* subscription just for the Eagles games... Yes I am that die hard that I would pay that much for a D* subscription, just to cancel it and pay the cancelation costs. How much is their Football Package anyways?

They are asking $229 for the 2006-7 season in the US market. This requires a 24/7 connection to a US phone line (I'm assuming that the 800 number doesn't work in Mexico).

The DirecTV website FAQ states in no uncertain terms that they are not allowed to broadcast outside of the United States. Getting your number ported to VOIP might work if you can set up a broadband connection in TJ.

It would appear that DirecTV Mexico melted down. Their website comes up "not found" and DirecTV makes no reference to it in their FAQ item about Mexican service.

I'm not liking your chances.

#13 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:33 AM

If you take a box into Mexico, when you return, if Customs decides to search you, they will assume that you have bought an illegally hacked system in Mexico (where the sale of such systems is common) and they will confiscate it. At the minimum you are looking at explaining a complex story, which you need paperwork to back up, to some ICEman's supervisor's supervisor. You do not need that hassle.

Similarly, but far less likely, Mexican Customs can likewise confiscate a system, since DirecTV is ONLY legally available in the USA. Or at least believe that you are going to leave it in Mexico like all of the other stuff and charge you duty on it. You do not need that hassle either.

According to the NFL's website, Spanish language NFL programming (it doesn't say which games) are on ESPN Mexico, Fox Sports Latin America, DirecTV Latin America (DirecTV Latin America's website, however, says it doesn't do business in Mexico), TV Azteca, Televisa, SKY Mexico and Cablevision. And, of course, San Diego and Tiajuana are one TV market. Fox San Diego is, in fact, a Mexican station, XETV - 6, receivable all over Tiajuana with a simple antenna. Or you could just walk across the border and find a bar that had Sunday Ticket (probably you will find plenty of bars in Mexico that also, illegally, have Sunday Ticket too).

In any event, the Eagles 2006 September schedule is @ Houston (Fox game, with SD playing Monday night ) ; NY Giants (Fox game, with SD playing in the other time slot on CBS) ; and @ San Francisco (Fox game, with SD having the week off) . Before going to drastic measures, why not write Fox (although the transmitter is in Mexico, the studio is in California) and see what games they plan on carrying. Its XETV - 8253 Ronson Road - San Diego, CA 92111.

#14 OFFLINE   spykedvodka

spykedvodka

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:38 PM

Put it this way - out of all the times I went to Mexico - I got searched once in a vehicle. If you go walking across the border, their is rarely any officials there and it is pretty open. Basically you may see somebody from the military there but that is more of a gaurd status then customs. I wouldn't have problems taking it into mexico and hell, if I did that, I would just end up leaving it in mexico as I would only need it there. Have you ever seen cable/satellite prices in Mexico? They make Comcast look cheap (plus even cable requires a contract there). So ESPN Espanol is the only real option as Azteca and the other channels mentioned did play some NFL games, but they were mostly California teams or the Cardinal games. Only game I ever remember was Eagles vs. San Diego in Spanish there (but I watched that on San Diego OTA).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...