Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need verification

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wx-man

Wx-man

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:03 PM

Hello,
I am a noob to this site, and I have a question that I need verification before I proceed with buying a multiswitch and running new cable, etc.

First off, I have a phase III 3 lnb dish with four lines. Two lines go to a HD Tivo receiver, one line goes to a standard receiver, and the last line goes to another standard receiver. We would like to replace one of the standard receivers with another Tivo receiver, thus need an additional line to take full advantage of the Tivo receiver's capabilities.

For this to work do I need to purchase a 4x multiswitch and run the extra line or is there another method?

If I need to purchase another multiswitch does it matter what type of 4x multiswitch it is or does it have to be an HD type like the Steren Phase III Multiswitch?

Thanks in advance!
-Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:22 PM

Steve,

Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

If you anticipate upgrading to the MPEG4 HD (with the AT9 dish), I would suggest you get a Zinwell WB68 multi-switch now. That is currently the only 6x8 switch rated to work with the AT9 dish (you do only need to connect 4 inputs to it).

That being said, I have been using a Zinwell SAM 4803 4x8 switch, though I am only feeding my SD with it. If your HD is MPEG2, I don't know if you need a particular type of switch.

I guess my main contribution here (after I get through all my BS) is that if you plan to be ugrading your HD as D* upgrades, it might be best to just start out with the Zinwell WB68.

#3 OFFLINE   Wx-man

Wx-man

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the welcome!!

The HD receiver I currently have setup is the HR10-250 and I am not entirely sure if it is MPEG2 or not. The Tivo receiver I plan on installing is standard. So for me to install the additional non-HD Tivo I can use the Zinwell WB68 switch and it will work for all of the receivers? Thanks!

-Steve

#4 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:12 PM

The HR10-250 is MPEG2. The Zinwell WB68 switch should work just fine with the HR10-250 (I'm running three of those boxes off the WB68 right now with no problems), and should also work just fine with your SD receivers/DVRs.

#5 OFFLINE   Wx-man

Wx-man

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:53 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the information. -Steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...