Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Install - Fluctuating Signal Strength

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trinitone

trinitone

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:32 AM

I apologize in advance if this has already been answered. However, I could not find a similar situation in the forums. If it has, a link to the relevant thread would be great.

Well, after nearly a month of trying, I finally got a technician out yesterday to do my install. Here's the lowdown:

1 - 18" Round Dish
2 - DVRs (The installer showed up with 2 D11s, but that's another story.)
1 - Multiswitch (Which never came into play due to note above.)

I live in Center City Philadelphia and unfortunately for me, there is a high rise building blocking the 110 satellite. (Hence the round dish.) It was apparently also causing some problems getting line of sight to 101. So, we placed the dish on a 9 foot pole mounted at the edge of my roof. He initially had a signal in the mid 50s, which is no good. After some adjusting of the dish it got to a point where the signal was fluctuating from 93 to 18 to 0 and then back. We thought maybe a bad LNB, so he swapped it out. No change. We swapped out the receivers. No change. The coax was going straight from the dish to the receiver, so I don't think it's a connection problem. He said he was also getting some strange readings on his handheld meter attached directly to the dish. He assured me the pole was plumb. It also seemed to be anchored well and pretty solid. It was not windy out yesterday nor was it cloudy.

So, what else could be going on to cause this problem? Could this be some kind of multipath problem? Two bad LNBs?

I really don't want to have to give up now. HELP! :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:25 AM

Did he change the Coax cables?

If you changed the LNB, and the pole wasn't moving...
The only thing left would be the COAX that was used could have been damaged, or just a stray fiber could have been hitting the center core.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   trinitone

trinitone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:38 AM

Earl,

Thanks for the reply. He did not change out the coax. However, off of the dual LNB, one cable was going to the receiver and the other was connected directly to his meter. Both were getting squirrely signal readings. Do you think it could still be the cable? Of course, it doesn't hurt to try. Thanks again!

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:19 AM

Sure could.

If one of them was "shorting" out, it could be effecting the other.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   trinitone

trinitone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:23 AM

Ok. I'll see if I can't get him to play around with it a bit more when he returns. I'd give it a go myself, but he took the receivers with him since he couldn't complete the install. I'll report back when I can.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...