Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

PCI satellite discussion allowed?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jammasterd

Jammasterd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:49 PM

Now that I've signed up for Dish Network (installation July14th), I am interested in a PCI satellite tuner card for my computer: this was impossible with Directv.
Is this type of discussion allowed on DSBTalk.com?
Can't wait for my DVR-625!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,888 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:18 PM

At FTA forum

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,787 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

Yep. All "free to air" discussion such as what channels your PC card could receive should happen in the FTA Forum. Discussion of how to descramble channels is not permitted in any forum.

We do allow discussion of what channels are available to regular subscribed receivers and the hints of what is coming and changing on the satellite line up in this forum. Those hints and reports come from people using PC cards and other units but are not really FTA discussion.

#4 OFFLINE   Jammasterd

Jammasterd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:46 PM

I didn't mean to stir things up about FTA.
I was thinking of connecting the 625 to my Sony tv and my computer.
(I believe that the 625 can connect to 2 tv's, is that correct?)
I have an ATI All In Wonder 9000 video card that I had connected to Comcast Cable and could watch tv.(coax cable connection)
Directv would not work in this fashion.
Would the ATI AIW 9000 tv tuner work with DVR-625 connected ? If so, I would not need a PCI satelite tuner card.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,799 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:31 PM

Would the ATI AIW 9000 tv tuner work with DVR-625 connected ? If so, I would not need a PCI satelite tuner card.

The 625 will drive the computer either through an RF connection, the S-VHS connection or the composite video connection. The All In Wonder turns the computer into a fully capable SD television.

#6 OFFLINE   Jammasterd

Jammasterd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:08 PM

The 625 will drive the computer either through an RF connection, the S-VHS connection or the composite video connection. The All In Wonder turns the computer into a fully capable SD television.

Great news !

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,787 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:55 PM

You should be able to connect any good input PC card to the outputs of your E* reciever to capture what it is playing, just as if you connected a VCR or DVD recorder.

A satellite card (DVB) would do you little good as the only channels you could tune legally are a few 'free' channels - probably not the ones you are interested in capturing.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...