Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do I turn off the inactivity timer?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kbdrand

kbdrand

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:03 PM

I have tried to disable the inactivity timer on my 211 but setting it to 'disable' does not seem to turn it off.

I just replaced my two 811 receivers with these 211 receivers and now my Tivo isn't working because the 211s turn off every night (my timer is set to 8 hours). I know it's not Dish's problem but I would really like to be able to turn off the timer.

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,600 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:51 PM

Overnight you are probably getting hit by the MENU-6-1-6 updates setting and not the inactivity timer. You can move that to a better time and/or set an "auto tune" to some channel for 15 minutes after that time. (And avoid any Tivo events that could be interfered with).

There is also a disable setting on the MENU-6-1-6 page. Your EPG will grow out of date quickly if you leave this disabled.

#3 OFFLINE   kbdrand

kbdrand

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

I just setup an auto-tune for 3:25 am (6-1-6 is setup for 3:00 am). Thanks for the info.

#4 OFFLINE   kbdrand

kbdrand

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:47 AM

Well, setting the auto tuner does not work. I set it on my TV and it still turns off sometime at night. I come in each morning and it is off.

#5 OFFLINE   esteps

esteps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:43 AM

I would also like to see this problem resolved. My 211 was installed last week and I have the same problem. I will try James' suggestion tonight and see if I can get it to work.
esteps

Well, setting the auto tuner does not work. I set it on my TV and it still turns off sometime at night. I come in each morning and it is off.

#6 OFFLINE   kbdrand

kbdrand

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:09 AM

I've turned off the auto-update on one of my 211s and I'm going to see if that helps. I don't really need guide information from Dish since I get it from Tivo, but I don't want it to cause an issue with viewing channels (not sure if it checks the guide when changing channels to display the program information on the banner).

#7 OFFLINE   esteps

esteps

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:27 AM

Well, the trick worked for me last night (set update at 1am and auto tune at 5am).
Thanks, James!
esteps

Overnight you are probably getting hit by the MENU-6-1-6 updates setting and not the inactivity timer. You can move that to a better time and/or set an "auto tune" to some channel for 15 minutes after that time. (And avoid any Tivo events that could be interfered with).

There is also a disable setting on the MENU-6-1-6 page. Your EPG will grow out of date quickly if you leave this disabled.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,600 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:39 PM

I've turned off the auto-update on one of my 211s and I'm going to see if that helps. I don't really need guide information from Dish since I get it from Tivo, but I don't want it to cause an issue with viewing channels (not sure if it checks the guide when changing channels to display the program information on the banner).

The banner info comes from a different EPG source than the advance EPG shown by pressing guide. There is a "present/next" EPG that is used for the banners (as well as an instant update to whatever EPG was last downloaded for the 'guide').

spam firewall