Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR Cabling

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   texasbrew

texasbrew

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:37 AM

First let me apologize if this has been covered. I have a round dual LNB Directv sat w/ an 8 out multiswitch that operates 5 receivers. I do not have HD nor do I plan to have it for a few years (also none of te other special programming). I am considering adding a dvr but I only have one cable to supply to the dvr. The dvr will be in a loc where running another cable is not feasible. I am considering buying a stacker and stacking 2 outputs from the multiswitch and destacking at the DVR if necessary. Can somebody please review this and tell me if this will work?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:29 AM

That is exactly what you need to do.

If you have an R15 DVR, it already has a destacker built in.
If you have a TiVo powered unit, you will need the appropriate destacker.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrew

texasbrew

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the input about the stacker. I received my stacker and am looking to hook it up. Does it simply hook up like a reverse splitter? That is 2 output from switch go to one cable headed for DVR and then the one cable is split right before it enters DVR? Also, what is the need for the power inserter and how is it to be cabled up? I looked at sonora's site and I could not determine how it was supposed to be hooked up.

Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:55 AM

Does it simply hook up like a reverse splitter? That is 2 output from switch go to one cable headed for DVR and then the one cable is split right before it enters DVR? Also, what is the need for the power inserter and how is it to be cabled up? I looked at sonora's site and I could not determine how it was supposed to be hooked up.

Thanks.

http://9thtee.com/dssstuff.htm

Vin

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrew

texasbrew

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:16 PM

Is the power inserter simply a power booster for long cable runs?

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:28 PM

The power inserter supplies power to the stacker so it can do its thing.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

spam firewall