Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

getting ESPNU without having to get the sports pack?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 601 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:16 PM

is there any little known constumer retention offer they can give me for say $2 per month just for ESPNU
I want to get that without paying to rediculous $12 monthly price:rolleyes:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:06 PM

Doubt it, but that would be nice.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#3 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:01 PM

Call and say you would like to sign up for the "Sports Pack" premium, but you heard other people got some for free...see if they will give you the $10 off for 6 months deal. That would make it $2 or less per month for those 6 months.

Hope that helps.

NOTE: oops, posted it as 56 instead of 6 months at first....silly me :D
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

#4 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:20 PM

You can get this channel in DISH's AT180 package.

#5 OFFLINE   FavreJL04

FavreJL04

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:40 PM

They gave me the 10 bucks off for 6 month deal on the sportspack. I kept it for the minimum one month and cancelled when I learned what sports blackouts REALLY were.

#6 OFFLINE   GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:20 PM

They gave me the 10 bucks off for 6 month deal on the sportspack. I kept it for the minimum one month and cancelled when I learned what sports blackouts REALLY were.

You can't be serious.

Why would anyone pay hundreds of bucks for Extra Innings, League Pass, Center Ice, etc. if a $12/month subscription got them everything.

#7 OFFLINE   FavreJL04

FavreJL04

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:53 PM

Yeah, it was a learning experience for me. I never had satellite until March of this year. I have always had cable or OTA so blackouts were never something that happened to me. I did wonder why it was 12 bucks a month for all the RSNs when the package prices are as much as they are. I just figured a channel is a channel and if I pay for the pack I will get everything that is on all of those channels. Ah well, now I know.

#8 OFFLINE   agreer

agreer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:17 AM

Yeah, it was a learning experience for me. I never had satellite until March of this year. I have always had cable or OTA so blackouts were never something that happened to me. I did wonder why it was 12 bucks a month for all the RSNs when the package prices are as much as they are. I just figured a channel is a channel and if I pay for the pack I will get everything that is on all of those channels. Ah well, now I know.

This happens on Cable at some point if you live in a major market: if ESPN, for example, is showing a MLB game that is availible on a local RSN or over the air, you most likely didnt see it on ESPN (or ESPN HD, that one is a thorne in the side of many) unless your cable company served areas that were allowed to see it off of the same head end, if that happened, you are lucky.

#9 OFFLINE   RobJulo

RobJulo

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:03 AM

You can't be serious.

Why would anyone pay hundreds of bucks for Extra Innings, League Pass, Center Ice, etc. if a $12/month subscription got them everything.

I had a call last night from Directv trying to sell me the sports package (second call this week). The woman started by telling me I could get all the pro baseball, football and basketball games for only $12 a month.

I explained to her that was not possible, that NFL wasn't on the RSNs and both baseball and basketball are blacked out except your local RSN. She got mad, argued they were all available at which point I just hung up.

I can only imagine the new satellite subscriber, not knowing any better, getting sold on the same thing.

#10 OFFLINE   TylerWM94

TylerWM94

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

I've had the Sports Pack for years now at $10 a month (I guess it was grandfathered from an earlier price or something). I called a made a programming change to my account earlier and they accidentally deleted the Sports Pack from my account. When I called to have them add it back, it went to the normal $12 a month price. I called to complain and they said there was nothing they could do about it. Then, the CSR put me on hold and said he could do the $2 a month for 6 months on the Sports Pack. That's even better than what I was asking for. I'll save $48 for those 6 months which will pay for an extra 2 years of paying $12 instead of $10 a month. I'll take it.

#11 OFFLINE   FavreJL04

FavreJL04

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:14 PM

I've had the Sports Pack for years now at $10 a month (I guess it was grandfathered from an earlier price or something). I called a made a programming change to my account earlier and they accidentally deleted the Sports Pack from my account. When I called to have them add it back, it went to the normal $12 a month price. I called to complain and they said there was nothing they could do about it. Then, the CSR put me on hold and said he could do the $2 a month for 6 months on the Sports Pack. That's even better than what I was asking for. I'll save $48 for those 6 months which will pay for an extra 2 years of paying $12 instead of $10 a month. I'll take it.

That $2 a month plan must be their most famous plan or something. I had that for a month but didn't really watch anything so I cancelled it. There isn't much difference in the programming of each RSN since all the stuff that really matters is blacked out anyways.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...