Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR 10-250 We have been bull crapped about the OTA Locals

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Brad Martin

Brad Martin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:01 AM

Posted in the AVS FORUM ALSO

HR10-250 WE have been bull****ted, HR10-250 does record OTA Locals
In fact I wonder how long it will take for this thread to be deleted. But in good conscience it must be posted.

The HR 10-250 does in fact record local OTA HD just spent the night at my brothers home and had plenty of time to play with it. It records the "Local OTA" with no issues.

HOLD ON TO YOUR HR10-250's.

Whomever lied about this shame on you

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:36 AM

Everyone already KNEW that it recorded the OTA HD locals that is NOT new at all. Welcome to reality!!! What it does NOT record is the MPEG4 locals and any future HD channels down the road suchs as the HD RSNs. No one lied to you or anyone a simple search of threads would have helped!!
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#3 OFFLINE   Marino13

Marino13

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:55 AM

I did find one thing strange when hooking up my third HR10-250. Unlike the H20, the HR10-250 receives locals over OTA without the receiver being activated. While I was on hold to get it activated I was flipping through the channels and noticed my local OTA's were working. I tried to record one though and it would not let me. Still, looks like you could actually use it as a stand alone OTA tuner.

#4 OFFLINE   gquiring

gquiring

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:45 AM

Can you explain why you thought it could not record OTA? From day one it was advertised with that ability.

#5 OFFLINE   Brad Martin

Brad Martin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:57 AM

I was told "CLEARLY" on several phone calls by Direct TV CSR's and have read a few posts that the HR 10-250 can "NOT" record the OTA. It is time that Direct TV stops "MISLEADING" their customers. And we have a pretty good reason to post this, and right now I really do not care if we lose our Beta equipment because of this post, the HR-10- 250 preforms just as well as the new one. So Mpeg 4 is just a farce to get rid of TIVO IMHO. I do know one thing the beta equipment preforms just like a TIVO in many respects. Their are a few bells and whistles on the HR10-250 replacement that are genuinly fresh and original. But 90% of the replacements software mimics a TIVO. So IMHO thats why Direct TV has delayed the release for fear of litigation from TIVO. Plain and simple.

Logging off to watch the rest of the British Open OTA.

#6 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:56 AM

Got news for you your posts and rants are a joke, IMO!
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:43 AM

HUH? It's always been able to record OTA digital stations. And always will be able to.

#8 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:02 PM

First of all, this board is LITTERED with threads about things the D* CSR's have told people that they were completely mistaken about. Aside from a few conspiracy theorists, I believe the commonly held belief is that D* CSR's are not very well trained/informed, and it's not that there is a grand conspiracy for D* to mislead people on so many things.

What I have read on this board from people who are obviously very well informed is that the HR10-250 was designed for and always has recorded OTA locals in those areas where you can pick them up with an OTA antenna. We all know, too, that there are many areas of the country where OTA reception is not possible, so an HR10-250 will not be of much help there.

It is also commonly known that the HR10-250 will NOT receive nor record the satellite-provided HD locals (including RSN's) as these are MPEG4 signals and the HR10-250 is not capable of receiving (or maybe more technically, decoding those signals - I don't want to get hung up on those technicalities as that's not really the point here :)).

I find it almost absurd that someone who has been on this board for a while now would not be able to weed out some of what the CSR's are telling them given the information that is pervasive on this board to the contrary. Seems to me with things I read here that people are correcting CSR information an awful lot more than they are posting that they were lied to in a material way. Personally, if I'm looking for material information on which to base decisions regarding my D* experience, I'll look here before calling and asking any front-line CSR.

#9 OFFLINE   oldavman

oldavman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:48 PM

I have not had any trouble with Directv's CS Reps understanding what I need. Before I make a call to them I get as much pertinent technical information as needed. Usually the first CSR you talk to is there for the new customer. If you have any equipment issues or tech questions they will immediately connect you with a tech person. I have been a Directv subscriber since 1999, installed all my original equipment, have since updated to HD and HD Tivo and have had nothing but very good help from the Directv CS Reps. Most problems stem from the consumer not being tech savy, or they haven't done their homework in advance to calling Directv.

#10 OFFLINE   NVBlue

NVBlue

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:21 PM

The problem is CSR's and installers have NO CLUE. A friend just had D* installed and the installer said he couldn't use his old Tivo with D*, he would have to get D*'s DVR. What a crock! I've been using Tivo with D* ever since Tivo was introduced - before D*ever sold them.

#11 OFFLINE   Brad Martin

Brad Martin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:22 PM

First of all, this board is LITTERED with threads about things the D* CSR's have told people that they were completely mistaken about. Aside from a few conspiracy theorists, I believe the commonly held belief is that D* CSR's are not very well trained/informed, and it's not that there is a grand conspiracy for D* to mislead people on so many things.

What I have read on this board from people who are obviously very well informed is that the HR10-250 was designed for and always has recorded OTA locals in those areas where you can pick them up with an OTA antenna. We all know, too, that there are many areas of the country where OTA reception is not possible, so an HR10-250 will not be of much help there.

It is also commonly known that the HR10-250 will NOT receive nor record the satellite-provided HD locals (including RSN's) as these are MPEG4 signals and the HR10-250 is not capable of receiving (or maybe more technically, decoding those signals - I don't want to get hung up on those technicalities as that's not really the point here :)).

I find it almost absurd that someone who has been on this board for a while now would not be able to weed out some of what the CSR's are telling them given the information that is pervasive on this board to the contrary. Seems to me with things I read here that people are correcting CSR information an awful lot more than they are posting that they were lied to in a material way. Personally, if I'm looking for material information on which to base decisions regarding my D* experience, I'll look here before calling and asking any front-line CSR.

The problem here, very clearly, is the average customer should not have to go to a forum to weed these things out. In reality probably 95 percent of the customers do not even know about these forums. They should be treated with in a professional "knowledgeable" manner, "the first time they call" with the proper “information” not having to jump through hoops to get the service they are signing up for.

Direct TV is not a “mom and pop operation” they are a major company. We can expect this type of error from an upstart company. Sorry bud D* has been planned by the Hughes corp. for many, many years, actually a few decades. It is not acceptable for Direct TV to be playing these billing, equipment and service games with their customers. D* should be "consistently” offering the same product and programming packages to all of their customers on an equal basis.

"The rivets have to be smooth to the fuselage" to make it fly at top speed. "FIX IT !"

And to become complacent and let it ride with what is as what is, not my style. I say something about it.

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:50 PM

You have got to be kidding me... You seriously didn't think it would record OTA HD?? Are you nuts??

I'm pretty sure it even says so in the manual!

#13 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:51 PM

You have got to be kidding me... You seriously didn't think it would record OTA HD?? Are you nuts??

I'm pretty sure it even says so in the manual!

It does say so in the manual thats why his rant is so hillarious!!
Dan Sholtis

#14 OFFLINE   Brad Martin

Brad Martin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:08 AM

It does say so in the manual thats why his rant is so hillarious!!

It is what customers are being told. Nice try at a flame. Read up a few lines.

#15 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:44 AM

It is what customers are being told.

Certainly not by the website:

Integrated ATSC tuner: access digital and HD signals from your off-air antenna through the Advanced Program Guide™, making it easy to watch and record.

Every big company has their fair share of poorly trained CSRs. As you have been told multiple times, there is no conspiracy.

#16 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:04 AM

It is what customers are being told. Nice try at a flame. Read up a few lines.

Customers are NOT being told that. Read the damn manual and you would have seen that you could record OTA HD.:rolleyes: I read up a few lines and had another good laugh at your ranting. You're ignorance and not doing your homework wont get you sympathy here.:nono2:
Dan Sholtis

#17 OFFLINE   69RoadRunner

69RoadRunner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:07 AM

You might have spoken to 1 clueless CSR, but I can't believe you didn't research a product like this online first.

The main reason you're getting flamed pretty hard is that you stated that "WE have been bull****ted, HR10-250 does record OTA Locals".

The reality is only you were misled by a CSR. You're not the first and you won't be the last.

#18 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:14 AM

Unfortunately, the OTA vs HD DNS vs MPEG4 "locals" issue is confusing...and I have even seen level II ("tier 2") agents who SHOULD have known better completely mess up.

It should shake out once all the local affiliates are up and running HD strait to Directv, and to each consumer in their market.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

#19 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:29 AM

Since none of us where on the phone line with you when you made the phone calls... not hearing the entire conversation....

I would have to tend to agree with AnonomissX

It is probably a combination of the all the memo's and information they have received regardling HD Locals and the SAT based ones not being able to record on the HR10-250...

And the CSRs simply not understanding the differences between OTA and CSR.
Considering the HR10-250 is the ONLY DVR in the lineup that can record from an OTA signal... I can see how a CSR could easily get confused....
Most of the CSRs (even 2nd tier) are primarily working from scripts, recent traiing, ect......

And honestly.... If you do a simple google search for HR10-250 you get 266,000 hits... now even my 82yr grandmother knows how to read google...

So if you are ready to plop down $399 for an HR10-250 (or more)... then I would hope you could spend even the littlest amount of time doing research on it (and that doesn't get to "digging" through forums). I will have to check my HR10-250 box when I get home, I am almost positive the BOX says it will record OTA

Regardless... the CSRs on the first line, do need an MASSIVE information upgrade. An updated system to get the answers to questions consistently correct. I mean if the tele-marketers can have elaborate systems to come up with answers to all our "i don't need it right now" combinations... then the CSRs on the first line should have something equally as adapt.

But to think their is a "consipiracy" come-on.... I would hazzard to guess that at least 85%+ of people calling "today" asking about a DVR recording HD Locals, is calling in response to some sort of publication or announcement that DirecTV now offers HD Locals to their area... which would be SAT based... And it simply is a matter of better information for the CSRs, and updated communication methods.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#20 OFFLINE   gquiring

gquiring

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:53 PM

Hang it up on the D* conspiracy theory, almost all call centers today are manned by low paying don't care employees. Try calling Dell support and get exported to little India for the answer - or the lack of an answer. You should try my local cable company support, not only are they clueless but being rude is a guarantee!

When I tried to buy my HR10-250 from Best Buy they INSISTED I did not need a triple LNB for HD content. They also insisted they don't sell it but could not answer my question as to why it is listed on their web site. They also insisted I did not need two feeds from the dish for both D* tuners. CLUELESS.

Whenever I buy something rule of thumb is to research the product on-line. My last resort would be to call D* or visit a local retailer, they never have the right answers.

spam firewall