Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My 2 cents.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bluevoyager

bluevoyager

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:53 AM

My satellite signal with D* with my samsung HD receiver was giving me trouble yesterday finding a satellite signal. At 8:28pm everything died. Well then I call for tech support and they of course cant do anything. They said the next thing to do is they need to send a technician out at my expense of 70 freakin dollars. Or I could just pay 30 dollars and enroll in their maintenance fee of $7.99 monthly. I have been a Directv customer for 8 years. I dont have anything against technicians. But why should I pay a fee! I am already shelling out 63 dollars monthly for the privilege to watch tv. Does cable charge to send out a technician?I dont think so. Some may say that well they charge higher prices than satellite. Let me tell you satellite tv service started low but prices have crept up there. I think directv needs to take better care of their customers. I ts not like I am asking for a check for 500 dollars. I want my receiver fixed now. So now since I have a service plan with best buy, I have to send it off to get it repaired which is utterly ridiculous. I will be out a week and half to two weeks without tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Clemsole

Clemsole

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:07 AM

Did you ever think that it might not be the receiver that is bad, it could someting in the cabline or lnb that is causing the problem. Also yes "satellite tv service started low " but all the money shelled out by retention dept to keep the cry baby customers when they have troble the price has gone up and will contune to as longe as retention keeps padding the cry babys pockest.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,255 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:11 AM

It isn't really fair to compare the cable model with the satellite model. If you owned your cable equipment, you would pay for diagnostic services too (unless you subscribed to a maintenance service).

Your treatment is not inconsistent with industry norms for satellite TV.

#4 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

How much did you pay for your service plan with Best Buy? You get what you pay for. Some people choose not to get a service plan and deal with whatever happens, or hopefully, doesn't happen. With Best Buy's plan, I'm guessing its a "bring it in, we'll test it and repair or replace it if necessary", with the time frame dependant on what they have in their pipeline and how they prioritize it (plus I believe other than maybe some preliminary testing, they send it out to one of their service centers and not do all this in the store to which you brought it). And that's only helpful if it's actually the receiver that's the problem. You could be without for a week or two and have Best Buy come back and say it's not the receiver at all. Then you still need a tech to come out and check your system (at additional cost to you).

If you want free tech trouble shooting at your home and replacement of defective equipment (whether that be receiver, cabling, multi-switch, LNB/dish), the only service plan that seems to cover that is the DirecTv service plan (and I'm not entirely sure about the switch, just to be accurate).

Again, there are a lot of people who really don't want to pay extra for that type of protection, and I'm sure would not be happy if D* adjusted their prices to include all this as "free" to all their subscribers. So they have a separate plan that you can subscribe to to get that protection if you so choose.

Again, you get what you pay for. Those are the parameters, and you just need to choose what's best for you. For your situation right now since you ARE having trouble, you could sign up, pay the $30 up front and continue the plan for about 4 months for the same $70 that you'd have to pay for a service call. Or you can gamble that it is actually the receiver and wait for Best Buy to take care of it.

---Edited to remove misleading question that Carl addressed below---

#5 OFFLINE   Carl

Carl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

I maybe wrong on this but I thought that the $5.99 plan was for the SD package and the $7.99 was for the HD package.Like I said I maybe wrong...
Sharp LC52D62U LCD :D
JVC AV48WP30 RPTV :)
H20-100 Sat. Rec.:sure:
HR20-100 Sat. Rec.:sure:
HR10-250 (200-250 whatever it takes):)
Yamaha RXV-750 A/V Rec.:sure:
Sony Blu-Ray SB-300:D
JVC HR-S5902 VCR
Infinity TSS-1100 HT speaker system
Sony RM-AX4000 Remote Control
Sony RM-AV2500 Remote Control
DirecTV customer sence "97"

"Come to the darkside,
we have milk and cookies."

#6 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:43 PM

Carl,

You are absolutely right. I had to now go look it up so I wasn't misleading people. Here is the page regarding their protection plan from their web site:
http://www.directv.c...?assetId=900030

It states there that it's $5.99 It doesn't say nor even refer to the fact that the $5.99 plan is for SD receivers only. Any advanced technology (HD, DVR, etc.) is $7.99 per month. The way I understand it from talking with D* (take that for what it's worth!) is that even SD DVRs would be $7.99.

As with some other things on their web site that are a little hard to pin down, the "advanced technology" pricing isn't mentioned on their web site information page. The CSR says that it is mentioned when you order it if you have advanced technology equipment on your account.

I also see on there where switches are also covered :).

Thanks for the heads up!

#7 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:06 PM

I signed up for the protection plan the beginning of June and I'm being billed $5.99/mo. See my SIG for the units I have covered (minus the R10s which are not activated).
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#8 OFFLINE   Phroz

Phroz

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:00 PM

I signed up for the protection plan the beginning of June and I'm being billed $5.99/mo. See my SIG for the units I have covered (minus the R10s which are not activated).

Well, I'm getting an R15 installed Wednesday and was told my protection plan would go from the $5.99 I'm paying now to $7.99... apparently YMMV.

#9 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:33 PM

All subscribers are being billed $5.99 per month when they sign up now. NO one should be billed $7.99 monthly anymore.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

#10 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:10 PM

All subscribers are being billed $5.99 per month when they sign up now. NO one should be billed $7.99 monthly anymore.

Not that I don't believe you, but when I called today to verify the $5.99 listed on their site, I was specifically told that for any account with "advanced technology" equipment the charge for the protection plan is $7.99. I didn't do the "call 5 times and get a majority opinion from 5 different CSRs" thing, and I also made it clear to the CSR I talked to that the web site made no mention at all of $7.99 for advanced technology accounts. She told me that if someone signs up and does have advanced technology equipment, they are told of the $7.99 price at that time.

It would be nice to get a definitive (and maybe documented) answer on this so if it really is $5.99 for all accounts regardless of equipment, I can do what I need to to save a couple extra bucks a month.

#11 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:58 PM

Well, I'm getting an R15 installed Wednesday and was told my protection plan would go from the $5.99 I'm paying now to $7.99... apparently YMMV.

I never had the protection plan before June. I signed up on their Web site without speaking to one of DTV's well informed CSRs. Maybe you need to call them back and cancel the protection plan. Once your equipment is installed and active, go online and sign up. At the time I signed up I had 1 HR10 and multiple SD Tivos and 1 R15. I'm getting billed $5.99.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#12 OFFLINE   psweig

psweig

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:01 AM

That's not true. I am paying $7.99 for a mix of HD and SD.

#13 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:41 AM

What I've heard is that those who were paying the $7.99/mo for advanced products have not had their protection plan payments adjusted down automatically. Those who added the protection plan since March 1st just pay $5.00. If you are paying $7.99 a month and call in, you should be able to get it adjusted down to $5.99.

#14 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:23 AM

Not that I don't believe you, but when I called today to verify the $5.99 listed on their site, I was specifically told that for any account with "advanced technology" equipment the charge for the protection plan is $7.99. I didn't do the "call 5 times and get a majority opinion from 5 different CSRs" thing, and I also made it clear to the CSR I talked to that the web site made no mention at all of $7.99 for advanced technology accounts. She told me that if someone signs up and does have advanced technology equipment, they are told of the $7.99 price at that time.

It would be nice to get a definitive (and maybe documented) answer on this so if it really is $5.99 for all accounts regardless of equipment, I can do what I need to to save a couple extra bucks a month.

I was paying $7.99 because I had a R15 when I added a second DVR recently I was told the protection price was changed to $5.99 for all receivers. and thats what I'm paying now. since it just changed maybe not all directv csr are up to speed. :)

#15 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:25 PM

I was paying $7.99 because I had a R15 when I added a second DVR recently I was told the protection price was changed to $5.99 for all receivers. and thats what I'm paying now. since it just changed maybe not all directv csr are up to speed. :)

Yep. Not all DirecTV CSRs are up to speed.

I was.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

#16 OFFLINE   goodwrench420

goodwrench420

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:16 PM

I signed up in march over the phone with a csr.My dad just signed up last week the same way.He has one tivo unit and I have four R-15's and two older tivo units and we are both paying 5.99.I also heard that the older price was 7.99 for the advanced coverage but it was changed to the 5.99.Most people don't come to these boards and know of the changes to things.So D*can just sit back and get the extra two bucks until someone complains and they have to knock the price down and give them a credit for the extra money that they had been paying.People could probably get a discount on service if the complained to the right person about them bending them over and not changing it like they should.

#17 OFFLINE   tonyc

tonyc

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts
  • LocationAnaheim,CA

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:02 AM

I signed up in march over the phone with a csr.My dad just signed up last week the same way.He has one tivo unit and I have four R-15's and two older tivo units and we are both paying 5.99.I also heard that the older price was 7.99 for the advanced coverage but it was changed to the 5.99.Most people don't come to these boards and know of the changes to things.So D*can just sit back and get the extra two bucks until someone complains and they have to knock the price down and give them a credit for the extra money that they had been paying.People could probably get a discount on service if the complained to the right person about them bending them over and not changing it like they should.

Yea the only way I found out was when I called to try and get a deal on my second Dvr, because exsisting customers now don't get a rebate of any kind off the $99.00, I own all my equipment and it was kind of hard to swallow paying $99.00 and only leasing. dropping the protection plan price was one of the ways she tried and help me.:grin:

spam firewall