Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dropping Direct in favor of BrightHouse HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mdubchy

mdubchy

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:58 PM

DirecTV’s HD DVR "leasing" policy is outrageous, they want $399 for the privillage to use the hardware, $10 a month for HD programming, $5 a month to watch HD locals, $5 a month to record, and you still need an OTA to receive the HD locals. Not worth it for me.
I've decided to drop my SD Direct DVR Tivo in favor of Brighthouse’s HD DVR package. BrightHouse use SA8300 DVR, comes with HDMI and Digital Audio out, and firewire support for an external HDD to increase storage capacity.
BrightHouse has the same capabilities, dual tuner with HD locals included, getting a additional HD non-dvr receiver for $4 a month, no long term contract required. Total cost with HBO HD...$100/month bundled with my High Speed Internet.

I don’t see how Direct and Dish can stay in business much longer with local cable and phone companies under cutting their prices so much, they need to work on customer retention more also. By 2009 everyone will be broadcasting DTV, I think then they will have to stop charging a premium for HDTV.

BrightHouse is getting installed on Thursday, I'm curious to hear what offer, if any, Direct will make to keep me, they sure cant beat the price.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   elvisisded

elvisisded

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:13 PM

DirecTV’s HD DVR "leasing" policy is outrageous, they want $399 for the privillage to use the hardware, $10 a month for HD programming, $5 a month to watch HD locals, $5 a month to record, and you still need an OTA to receive the HD locals. Not worth it for me.
I've decided to drop my SD Direct DVR Tivo in favor of Brighthouse’s HD DVR package. BrightHouse use SA8300 DVR, comes with HDMI and Digital Audio out, and firewire support for an external HDD to increase storage capacity.
BrightHouse has the same capabilities, dual tuner with HD locals included, getting a additional HD non-dvr receiver for $4 a month, no long term contract required. Total cost with HBO HD...$100/month bundled with my High Speed Internet.

I don’t see how Direct and Dish can stay in business much longer with local cable and phone companies under cutting their prices so much, they need to work on customer retention more also. By 2009 everyone will be broadcasting DTV, I think then they will have to stop charging a premium for HDTV.

BrightHouse is getting installed on Thursday, I'm curious to hear what offer, if any, Direct will make to keep me, they sure cant beat the price.

Good luck. You'll need it!

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:22 PM

Maybe by you they are "cutting" prices...
Comcast here in Chicago Land, has done nothing by steadly go up...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:45 PM

That's one of the great things about living in an area where you have a choice.

The SA website says that the external hard drive is SATA, not firewire. If the software is any good, this should be an excellent receiver.

Is this the long term price or a promotional price? My guess is that at least HBO goes out the door after a few months.

They will likely stay in business by providing a service to those who are disenchanted with their current options (even if they aren't significantly better). Marketing experts call this the "grass is greener" syndrome. The fact that cable companies and telephone companies play around with their pricing schemes for a honeymoon period usually puts a brown cast on the grass. The cable company that serves my area (Comcast) offers voice, data and digital cable at a discount for one year but the price goes up by 32% at the end of the introductory period.

Thet also offer a $400 rebate for satellite customers. There must be something to this satellite thing.

To be fair, you need to make sure you're comparing apples to apples. If the price you were quoted was promotional, you're going to squeal like a stuck pig when it goes away.

#5 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:26 PM

If you’re getting the desired value, why would you be shocked. I’m paying $156 for $217 worth of services right now. In 2008 when my price goes up to retail, I won’t be mad. By then digital phone will be available here, so I’ll be a triple play subscriber and get converted into an all in one package that offers great savings and when it’s all said and done I’ll be paying about $230 for digital cable with every single channel, an HD DVR and an SD DVR, Road Runner Premium and digital phone with unlimited calling all the bells and whistles. With not one penny upfront cost.

The $230 figure includes the few taxes Digital phone is assessed, franchise fees, all rental and DVR fees and a few bucks allowed for price increases between now and then. And by then they’ll be more HD content and hopefully faster internet speeds. I really do think that is a decent price, considering it is for everything and the best of everything the company offers.

Time Warner, while not lowering prices on main packages, the HD Tier did drop $2 to $4.95 and the Sports Tier did go from $4.95 to $1.95. Premiums on Demand used to cost extra, but now are included in their respective premium packages at no additional change. When comparing higher programming options between satellite and TW here, TW is often cheaper, add in the box rental fee and franchise fee, and it’s only a few bucks more.

Good luck with Brighthouse, Mdubchy. The 8300HD is a nice DVR, not as polished as the DTiVo, but it works and works great. If nothing elase at least you'll have real HD :)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#6 OFFLINE   mdubchy

mdubchy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:06 AM

Good luck. You'll need it!

Why do you feel that ? What does everyone have against the Cable companies ? They offer the same product, HDTV and a HD-DVR for a lower price - Why not take advantage of it ? You can always switch back to D* when they have a better offer...

#7 OFFLINE   gquiring

gquiring

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:13 AM

My local cable company uses a SA8300 and the complaints are huge. It is one buggy DVR. So good luck.

If my cable company used a better DVR I would have switched back, I think D* has been lacking now for 2 years. If the Series 3 Tivo ever comes out from the rock it is hiding under I think many loyal D* users will be rethinking what to do.

#8 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:04 AM

Why do you feel that ? What does everyone have against the Cable companies ? They offer the same product, HDTV and a HD-DVR for a lower price - Why not take advantage of it ? You can always switch back to D* when they have a better offer...

Maybe *your* cable company. Many still don't even know how to spell DVR or HD yet. And cable is *way* more expensive then either DirecTV or Dish. If I were ever to leave DirecTV it would be for Dish.

It's awesome that you have a great cable choice. Many people do not have this kind of choice. Just understand that.

#9 OFFLINE   innersanctum

innersanctum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:20 AM

By 2009 everyone will be broadcasting DTV, I think then they will have to stop charging a premium for HDTV.

Maybe I misunderstood how this was explained to me, but the deadline that you speak of is to move broadcasts off of analog signals and on to digital signals. That being said, not all digital signals are HD but just digital signals. TV's aren't going to all have to be be HDTV just capable of receiving a digital signal which, if it's connected to a receiver, it is digital ready.

Am I off on this or does Digital TV = HDTV?

#10 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:27 AM

You are correct. Broadcasters have to switch to digital but not necessarily to HD.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:52 PM

For some it's not a matter of a better offer or not. The biggest reason keeping me from ever going back to cable is the fact that after a hurricane I get TV back as soon as I get power back. My neighbor didn't have TV back for 2 months after last year's hurricanes because of lines down, etc.

And also in my area cable is more expensive for less channels than D* is.

#12 OFFLINE   gquiring

gquiring

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:52 PM

For some it's not a matter of a better offer or not. The biggest reason keeping me from ever going back to cable is the fact that after a hurricane I get TV back as soon as I get power back. My neighbor didn't have TV back for 2 months after last year's hurricanes because of lines down, etc.

And also in my area cable is more expensive for less channels than D* is.

That is a good point and the reason I left cable. We had a bad winter and 6 weeks of excuses on why the cable guy could not get to the house to repair a line that a tree damaged.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...