Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MultiSwitch's.. cascade-able?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fo71

fo71

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:14 PM

Hi.. I have 4 receivers with an old antenna setup in which my runs come out of a channel master 4x4 multi-switch. I've upgraded 2 of my receivers to DVR's meaning I need 2 addtional outputs. We'll.... considering I have a spare 2x4 switch which is ment to give 4 outputs from a dual lnb I decided two connect the 2x4 to 2 of the 4x4's outputs. That way, physicallly I would have a total of 6 outputs.. just what I need. Well, did the wiring and it doesn't work.... I only get the odd transponders out of the DVR's connected thru the 2x4. The other 2 receivers directly connected to the 4x4. Any ideas? I this supposed to work or not? Any help is aprecietted.
Thanks !

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:30 PM

wont work. You will need to upgrade to a 4x8 switch

sounds like you have a Phase II (that has LNB's that can come off separatelly). The 4 wires that come off the LNB's go to the switch and picks one of 4 options when a channel is selected

101 vertical
101 horizontal
110/119 vertical
110/119 horizontal

so by hooking up 2 lines from a multiswitch, you only get 2 of the 4 options. Thats why you need a 4x8 multiswitch. :)

#3 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:47 PM

While you cannot easily "cascade" two multiswitches on a multi-sat system, you certainly can split the 4 downleads to drive two separate 4x multiswitches, the success of which will of course be largely dependent on the amount of signal you have, tho a 2-way split is typically only a -3.5db loss. Not a lot unless you don't have 3.5 db to spare. You will also have to be careful to hook the splitter outputs to the identical inputs on the multiswitches and it would probably be good practice to use splitters with only 1 leg power-passing.

#4 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:03 PM

While you cannot easily "cascade" two multiswitches on a multi-sat system, you certainly can split the 4 downleads to drive two separate 4x multiswitches, the success of which will of course be largely dependent on the amount of signal you have, tho a 2-way split is typically only a -3.5db loss. Not a lot unless you don't have 3.5 db to spare. You will also have to be careful to hook the splitter outputs to the identical inputs on the multiswitches and it would probably be good practice to use splitters with only 1 leg power-passing.

Why can't you easyly cascade multiswitches that are cascadable?
I have 4 feeds from a 3LNB feeding a 4x8. Out of that 4 outputs feed the second 4x8. That provides me with 12 feeds which go to my receivers. I'm just not sure why that's "not easy" to do.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#5 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:57 PM

Perhaps "easily" was a poor choice of words. What some find easy, others call tedium.

MultiSat (i.e., 4x8) multiswitches for the triple LNB systems are cascadeable, but as you correctly noted, you burn half the outlets of the 1st multiiswitch to drive the second, tho indeed the net result is 12 out. You could have spent just a few bux more for some 2-Ghz splitters and had a total of 16 outputs. :)

But now I'm curious. Have you ever noticed that not all outputs of a given multiswitch are equal (or even close to equal) from one port to the next? Some are even "frequency selective" attenuating certain transponders more than others. By contrast, the outputs of a 2-way splitter usually are equal, almost exactly so within 1/2 dB. Thus the question, is it better to split the down leads to parallel-feed two multiswitches or cascade them? The 8 outputs of the cascaded multiswitch will have only half (or slightly less) the signal output level of the 4 which aren't cascaded. If the multiswitches are amplified, in a cascaded configuration you will also double your noise figure.

Not picking on you, merely offering input & ideas on alternate ways of approaching this.

#6 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:16 PM

I haven't sent anything on the multiswitches. I got the first with DTV's movers connection and the second via the DVR4ME offer DTV had a while ago. Both multiswitches provided by installers.

Both are powered Zinwell SAM-4803 powered switches. I have not noticed any problems at all with signals from either of the switched.

If one is building their own infrastructure I think you have a valid point. Mine were provided by DTV but short of that, your solution makes sense.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

spam firewall