Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rumor -- DirecTv to Acquire Echostar

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think DirecTv and Dish Network should merge (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think DirecTv and Dish Network should merge

1. Yes (39 votes [51.32%])

Percentage of vote: 51.32%

2. No (25 votes [32.89%])

Percentage of vote: 32.89%

3. Not sure (4 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

4. Don't Care (8 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:58 PM

Its time for you DirecTv users to get in on the speculation about a rumored merger of DirecTv and Dish Network.

You should see the below thread and as much as possible put any comments in that thread.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=60763
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:39 AM

Providing that in the merger plan, there are SPECIFIC mentions of providing full-rezz HD as a benfit of the plan. I would expect that in presenting the potential benefits to the consumer of this possible merger that issues like channel and bandwidth capabilities should be spoken about.

The combination of these 2 satcos should enable them to provide "IT" - no excuses.

#3 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:55 AM

I would only like to see this happen IF the consumer benefits by getting more channels and better technology for less money.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:17 AM

I would only like to see this happen IF the consumer benefits by getting more channels and better technology for less money.

Sorry, that is not the big business way. IT is always less channels in less resolution for more money and yesterday's cutting edge technology.:P

#5 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:27 PM

Mergers and Aquisitions are always about the synergies of the combined organization and seldom about giving the customer anything more for any less unless you have a state or federally regulated utility where rates are regulated. Then and only then the regulators will mandate as a condition of approving the merger that a percentage of the anticipated savings be rebated to the subscribers or otherwise be reflected in lower rates.

What will happen within the first year of any such merger you will see up to 1/2 of the administrative support staff get laid off. They only need 1 IT department, only 1 Payroll & Accounting dept, etc. This is what the merger is about, laying people off and reducing operating costs.
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#6 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:43 AM

Right now my choices are the local cable company (which I absolutely refuse to do business with, so I don't even consider it a choice), Dish, and DTV. If EchoStar and DirecTV merge, then I lose one of my choices, and there is less pressure on the merged company to keep prices reasonable. Eventually Verizon FIOS will probably be available in my area, but that is probably several years away. But until then, I want some choice.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...