Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

whats new with sky angel??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drfreeman

drfreeman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:59 PM

just wanted to get that logo channel post off!!!:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:14 PM

They have not lost any channels lately. That is good. :D

#3 OFFLINE   MellowYBird

MellowYBird

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:20 AM

Does anyone know why Sky Angel is airing movies that are R-rated and have content with Language, Violence, Nudity, and Sexual Content? What has happened to their "Worry-Free TV", with "Christ-centered", "Family-friendly" viewing? I am confused.
~MYB~

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:27 AM

The moves are not really "R" ... If they were theatrical releases whay you will see on SkyAngel is the 'edited for TV' version. A lot of the movies shown are 'made for TV'.

The ratings are not entirely accurate - if in doubt shows get flagged "R" regardless of source or content. Really annoying in you have ratings locks set.

#5 OFFLINE   MellowYBird

MellowYBird

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:19 AM

I know GTN would always "cut" certain scenes. Now they do not seem to be doing that.
As for the 'edited for TV' or 'made for TV', that scares me also. I do not agree that what is aired on regular televsision is "appropriate", that is why I was trying Sky Angel.
It seems to have really changed in just 1 1/2 years.
Thanks for the info.
~MYB~

#6 OFFLINE   TP777

TP777

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:13 AM

skyangel.com is a new website for Sky Angel. I like the design. You can now watch short clips on the home page and a infomercial type program. As a customer, I have also received a refer-a-friend coupon in the mail. So, that's what appears as new with Sky Angel.

Still waiting for Spirit 24/7.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:23 AM

Cool. Thanks for the update.

#8 OFFLINE   TP777

TP777

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:41 AM

Staying on the same topic as the subject line...What's new with Sky Angel?

I happened to check out their site today and beyond my first post, here are some new shows starting soon or have started. I am listing just the non-Christian shows.

Pro Football Weekly
Weekly highlights of the 2006/2007 NFL football season. (Begins 9/16) GUARD/9707 Saturdays 7:30 p.m.

Fly Away (Christian program - but looks really cool)
Experience God’s creation from the air. Visit places like Canada, Peru, Finland—even Surinam—by plane, hot-air balloon, sailplanes and hang-gliders. (Begins 9/11) FAITH TV/9708 Mondays 9 p.m., Tuesdays 1 a.m.

The Adventures of Robin Hood
(1955-1960) A long-running series of adventures featuring Robin of Locksley—Robin Hood—and his group of Sherwood Forest-based freedom fighters. FAMILYLND/9717 Mondays 8 p.m., Wednesdays 3:30 p.m.

Public Defender
(1954) Portrays cases of an attorney defending destitute individuals who had been charged with a crime and cannot afford their own legal counsel. (Begins 9/8) FAMILYLND/9717 Fridays 9:30 p.m.

Laura McKenzie’s Travel
Laura McKenzie takes you to destinations all over the world with tips on locations to visit, where to eat and her favorite places to stay. (Begins 9/15 on Safe TV & 9/16 on Guard) SAFE TV/9711 Fridays 3:30 p.m. GUARD/9707 Saturdays 5:30 p.m.

Real Pro Wrestling
Athletes compete in a hybrid wrestling format combining the classic styles of Greco-Roman and Freestyle with elements of college and Sumo wrestling. (Begins 9/16) GUARD/9707 Saturdays 8 p.m.

Safari
Join John Ross as he journeys into remote areas of the animal world to experience not only the secret life of the animal but also their struggle for existence. (Begins 9/15) SAFE TV/9711 Fridays 11 a.m.

Really Wild Animals
Explore wild animals, birds and insects in their natural environments. Learn about the ways in which they adjust to the complexities of their habitat. (Begins 9/20) GUARD/9707 Wednesdays 4 p.m.

Kid Guides
Travel with Matt and Brittney as they visit zoos, aquariums, museums and other locations of interest to children in ways children wish they could. (Begins 9/19) GUARD/9707 Tuesdays 3:30 p.m.

Recipe TV
Famous chefs, amazing recipes, wonderful food and exciting lifestyles from around the world! (Begins 9/18) GUARD/9707 Mondays – Fridays 12:30 p.m.

Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew
Amateur detectives Frank and Joe Hardy alternate with Nancy Drew in action-packed mysteries filled with suspense and intrigue. This series originally aired on network TV in the 1970’s and starred Shaun Cassidy, Parker Stevenson and Pamela Sue Martin. (Begins 9/17) GUARD/9707 Sundays 7 p.m.

Saved by the Bell
Zack Morris and his friends have adventures and funny moments at Bayside High, trying to fool Principle Belding and hanging out at “The Max.” This series originally aired on network TV in the late 1980's and early 1990's. (Begins 9/18) GUARD/9707 Mondays – Fridays 4:30 p.m.

Magnum P.I.
Private detective Thomas Magnum (Tom Selleck) lives in Hawaii and investigates his cases with skill, deftly moving about an island that is sometimes dangerous. This series originally aired on network TV throughout the 1980's. (Begins 9/19) GUARD/9707 Tuesdays – Fridays 8 p.m.

Travel in Style
Visit today’s hottest travel spots in this magazine-style show. (Begins 9/16) GUARD/9707 Saturdays 7 p.m.

Stone Undercover
Ex-cop, ex-rig worker and ex-con Tom Stone goes undercover for Corporal Marina Di Luzio, working to catch criminals who think they're above the law. (Begins 9/17) GUARD/9707 Sundays 9 p.m.

#9 OFFLINE   MellowYBird

MellowYBird

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:50 PM

Are these new shows REALLY going to fit Sky Angel's description of "Worry-Free TV" with "Christian and Family Programming"? I think NOT. But I could be wrong.
~MYB~

#10 OFFLINE   restart88

restart88

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:31 AM

My only complaint about the SA pak is the fact that many of the secular channels in the E* Family pak are already included. So it's like paying twice for the same channel. Well actually maybe that's more of a complaint against E* I guess.

Still, I think it would be fair for one or the other to offer a bundle discount.

#11 OFFLINE   MellowYBird

MellowYBird

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:07 PM

I notice alot of Sky Angel's new programming is rated PG for either L, SC, N, V (not to mention some of the rated 'R' movies), but alot of these are not in the program guide so they are viewable to watch and not blocked. Our TV is not equipped with a V-chip so this gets discouraging. Does anyone know if DishFAMILY package puts the ratings in the program guide so that they will be blocked?
~MYB~

#12 OFFLINE   MellowYBird

MellowYBird

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:46 PM

Whats new with sky angel??

Unfortunately, they are now airing commercials about some man's erections & sex problems!
I am VERY disappointed with the "new" Sky Angel.

Does anyone know if DishFAMILY airs this type of commercials and content?

~MYB~

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:44 PM

Unfortunately, they are now airing commercials about some man's erections & sex problems!

What channel? Fox News?

#14 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:55 PM

I notice alot of Sky Angel's new programming is rated PG for either L, SC, N, V (not to mention some of the rated 'R' movies~

The ratings are for the programs BEFORE they were sanitized by Hallmark, Guardian or whatever other channel is showing them. There are NO PG13 (TV14) or R (TVMA) rated programs on any of the sky angel channels.

Smilin Bob commercials sometimes do sneak on Fox News, but I can't think of any other channels on SA than air these commercials. Smiling Bob commercials are generally covered over with SA avails.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#15 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:58 PM

Our TV is not equipped with a V-chip so this gets discouraging. ~

All SA and Dish receivers have parental blocks (v-chips) as part of the receiver. Press the menu button and find the parental control feature there.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#16 OFFLINE   MellowYBird

MellowYBird

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:33 PM

This commercial was aired during the 7 pm hour of "Green Acres" on GTN.
Our Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Movie Channel, Fox News Channel, and H&G Channel, along with anything rated over PG, and any L, SC, N etc. are blocked. (Of course the rating block only works if the rating is in the program guide.) So, I was totally not expecting this type of commercial from Sky Angel.

~MYB~

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:56 PM

It will be better once SkyAngel takes over uplink operations.

It sounds like the kind of commercial E* has been inserting on CNN and FoxNews feeds to the point of annoyance (I prefer the "HeadOn" commericals to smiling Bob for Enzyte). Perhaps E* inserted this commercial (E* is currently performing uplink operations for SkyAngel). Once operations are turned over to SkyAngel we would be sure that they did the insert or that GTN aired the spot and would be responsible for the offense.

Probably just the wrong spot inserted. "Oops." Doesn't sound like something GTN would air.

#18 OFFLINE   MellowYBird

MellowYBird

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the information, again. I hope you're right.
I'm very comfortable with most all of Sky Angel's content. I do not want to have to resort to sitting with a remote in my hand to quickly flip a channel because of content or commercials. That's when I'll have to go back to NO tv.
~MYB~

spam firewall