Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Getting Cleveland Area Channels in Raleigh, NC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BrownsFan

BrownsFan

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:21 AM

I am a huge Cleveland Sports Fan and would love to get Sports Time Ohio and Fox Sports Ohio. Per the DTV customer service rep, I would need a service zip code in Ohio in order to get those channels. He did not say that I necessarily had to live in that zip code, but I would have to give them a address in that location to achieve this.

So my question, has anyone living in one state, used a legitimate address in another state in order to gain access to that states additional channels such as Sports Time Ohio?

I don't mind getting the local Ohio channels because I have a Off Air HDTV antenna for all of my local HD channels.

Has anyone done this with success?

I have relatives in Ohio and I think I could "borrow" their address for this purpose : )

BrownsFan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:18 AM

What you are talking about is what is refered to as "moving" (with quotes). I'm surprised the CSR mentioned this since it is considered fraudulant. Beware that local channels from Cleveland are not physically availavle in Raleigh on DirecTV or Dish. They are on spot beams that do not even come close to reaching that distance.

Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#3 OFFLINE   BrownsFan

BrownsFan

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:27 AM

What you are talking about is what is refered to as "moving" (with quotes). I'm surprised the CSR mentioned this since it is considered fraudulant. Beware that local channels from Cleveland are not physically availavle in Raleigh on DirecTV or Dish. They are on spot beams that do not even come close to reaching that distance.

Tony

Would the Sports Time Ohio Channel and Fox Sports Ohio come in as long as I have the Sports Pack?

Thanks,

BrownsFan

#4 OFFLINE   HockeyKat

HockeyKat

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

Would the Sports Time Ohio Channel and Fox Sports Ohio come in as long as I have the Sports Pack?

Thanks,

BrownsFan

They will until an MLB or NHL game or other pro sport game comes on. For that, you have to shell out the cash for those sports packages. But if you're after their local programming minus the games, then you're ok. :)

#5 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:49 AM

If they think he lives in Ohio, why would the STO and FSOH be blacked out? (I assume BrownsFan is still considering "moving").

HockeyKat is correct if you don't "move". Sports Pack doesn't even allow you to watch REPLAYS of games on the RSNs. You have to live there, or "live" there.

#6 OFFLINE   BrownsFan

BrownsFan

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:54 AM

If they think he lives in Ohio, why would the STO and FSOH be blacked out? (I assume BrownsFan is still considering "moving").

HockeyKat is correct if you don't "move". Sports Pack doesn't even allow you to watch REPLAYS of games on the RSNs. You have to live there, or "live" there.

Yes, I'm still considering the "move". My big thing is I want Fox Sports Ohio because they play all of the Indians games and have all of the coverage for Training Camp for the Browns.

Anybody know exactly how to "move"? What do I tell them when I call up? Obviously I don't want them to come out to the new address to do the install. So how would that work?

Thanks
BrownsFan

#7 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:42 AM

Yes, I'm still considering the "move". My big thing is I want Fox Sports Ohio because they play all of the Indians games and have all of the coverage for Training Camp for the Browns.

Anybody know exactly how to "move"? What do I tell them when I call up? Obviously I don't want them to come out to the new address to do the install. So how would that work?

Thanks
BrownsFan

FYI, STO has the Training Camp coverage this year.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#8 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:49 AM

Tell them you moved and need to change your SERVICE address. Tell them that you do NOT want to change your billing address. They will gladly take your new info. Your NC RSNs would be deactivated instantly. Your Ohio RSNs will be activated shortly. It takes 24-48 hours before your receiver gets the info to override blackouts (RSNs are set up that unless it knows you can get the program, it blacks it out. This is as oppoesed to a receiver allowing programming unless it finds a black-out code.

Your black-out restrictions will be based on your "new" address. The address must be valid USPS address, however it does not have to really exist. For example on my street, there is a 233, 234, 236 and 237. There is no 235. It is a valid address, but there is no house there and unless a buldozer leveling the neighbor's houses, there will never be a 235.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#9 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:11 AM

Thanks
BrownsFan

I thought most of the Browns fans moved to the Pittsburgh area because of the lack of football in there area?
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#10 OFFLINE   BrownsFan

BrownsFan

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:15 AM

FYI, STO has the Training Camp coverage this year.

My bad, I meant STO!!!

Eric

#11 OFFLINE   BrownsFan

BrownsFan

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:26 AM

I thought most of the Browns fans moved to the Pittsburgh area because of the lack of football in there area?

Nice, real nice. You, know comments like that don't even phase me anymore. Just remember this is a new year and we get to see your squad is going to do with the losses of Jerome Bettis and Randel El. Oh yeah, and Big Ben's reconfigured face.

Should make for a interesting season.

#12 OFFLINE   clearblue_71

clearblue_71

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:36 AM

BrownsFan,

if you try to change your address, please let me know if it works out for you. I'm a browns fan in Dayton, OH and am subjected to every bungals game and derogatory browns news updates throughout the season on the local CBS affiliate down here.

I'd LOVE to switch my zip and be able to watch my beloved browns.

PLEASE let me know if you have ANY luck

clearblue_71@yahoo.com

#13 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

Nice, real nice. You, know comments like that don't even phase me anymore. Just remember this is a new year and we get to see your squad is going to do with the losses of Jerome Bettis and Randel El. Oh yeah, and Big Ben's reconfigured face.

Should make for a interesting season.

Go to Yellow Pages and search for an apartment complex or something or a McDonalds.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#14 OFFLINE   FavreJL04

FavreJL04

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:10 PM

Thanks
BrownsFan

I have a Michigan address where no locals are on the satellite. I didn't like this so I "moved" to a Green Bay, WI market address. Now I get all the Green Bay locals...including my beloved Packer games. The only problem there is I had to give up my Redwings on FSN Detroit. I now have the Minnesota Wild for Hockey on FSN North (yikes!). In my case I am close enough to the spotbeam to get the local networks from Green Bay. That isn't always going to be the case. The county that borders mine is in the Green Bay market so things worked out just fine here.

For my "move" I gave them my new SERVICE address and told them there was existing wiring and the dish already there. All I had to do was hook it all up. You are probably out of range for the new locals, so just tell them you don't want any locals (it'll save you a few bucks as well). Otherwise they will ask you if you are getting the new locals after the new address is put in. They would turn them on and charge you for them, but you wouldn't get them being outside of the spotbeam. You will lose your current locals and your current RSNs and be given the new RSNs, whichever one(s) it/they may be. You should be all set at this point. Good luck.

#15 OFFLINE   clearblue_71

clearblue_71

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:41 PM

Another question:

I heard that one cannot get local OTA high def on the vip622 without subscribing to the local channel package.

Does anyone know if this is true? So if I live in (in my case) Dayton, but provide a service address of Cleveland - does that mean my receiver will only look for OTA signals from Cleveland? Leaving me without any hi def OTA?

#16 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:44 PM

Another question:

I heard that one cannot get local OTA high def on the vip622 without subscribing to the local channel package.

Does anyone know if this is true? So if I live in (in my case) Dayton, but provide a service address of Cleveland - does that mean my receiver will only look for OTA signals from Cleveland? Leaving me without any hi def OTA?

Might wanna ask in the Dish Forum as the vip622 is a Dish receiver.
Dan Sholtis

#17 OFFLINE   BrownsFan

BrownsFan

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:57 PM

Sorry guys. Don't mean to be ignorant here, but what are "RSN's"? Yeah, I'm new to the forum:D

Will the new zip do anything to my Off Air HD antenna that runs through the Tivo DVR? Will I still be able to watch my own locals with my HD antenna?

The Direct TV guy installed it and I must say, the reception on the local HD channels is excellent. It does run through my DTV HD Tivo Box though so I can record them.

Does anyone know if I do the "move" will my Antenna based HD local channels through the Tivo be impacted?

BrownsFan

#18 OFFLINE   HockeyKat

HockeyKat

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:59 PM

RSN - Regional Sports Network

As for OTA stuff, you should be fine. I don't know how different the DTivo is, but with the H20, you tell it what zipcode to look in for 'secondary market' channels or something, and it comes back with a whole huge list of possible stuff. You can then decide what to keep in your guide and what to leave out. Mine came up with stuff 3 markets away that I'd NEVER get. :lol: But at least I can now get some of the DC stuff I want.

#19 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:25 PM

I am not an expert on this, but I BELIEVE that a 622 will pick up OTA locals just fine without a subscription to the local channel package. HOWEVER, you will not get an electronic program guide listing. It will sinply say "Local Programming" or "Info not available"

See ya
Tony

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#20 OFFLINE   NVBlue

NVBlue

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:12 PM

But if you live outside of the spot beam, you won't get the local channels or the RSN in HD. Cleveland to Raleigh is too far for spot beam. Just get the sports package and the different sports subscriptions that you watch and you'll get all of the programming and it is legal. Also DVR is free with Premier package.

spam firewall