Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"YES Interactive Only On DirecTV" Launches as First-Ever Interactive Content for MLB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:23 AM

http://phx.corporate...7208&highlight=

``YES Interactive only on DIRECTV'' Launches as First-Ever Interactive Content for Major League Baseball Telecasts
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. & NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 25, 2006--"YES Interactive only on DIRECTV," the first-ever interactive television content for Major League Baseball, is now available as part of New York Yankees telecasts on the YES Network (www.yesnetwork.com) and broadcast by DIRECTV within the Yankees home television territory. Created to bring Yankees fans closer than ever to their favorite team and players, "YES Interactive only on DIRECTV" is a co-production of the YES Network, DIRECTV, Inc., and MLB Advanced Media (MLBAM).

With "YES Interactive only on DIRECTV," YES is the first network -- regional or national, sports or otherwise -- to offer its viewers true, single-screen interactive Major League Baseball content. MLBAM, operator of MLB.com, the official Web site of Major League Baseball, is the source for the application's constantly updated statistics, scores, records and other data feeds. The new service is available at no additional charge to DIRECTV customers who live within the Yankees home television territory and have an interactive DIRECTV receiver.

In addition to offering fans a full array of constantly updated interactive statistics, box scores, standings and player biographical information for every Yankees game on YES, "YES Interactive only on DIRECTV" will also boast a unique Bonus Cam feature during YES telecasts of Yankees home games. The split-screen Bonus Cam will enable fans to follow their favorite players like never before via an extra camera angle focusing on select players and situations throughout the game.

Informational CD-ROM and screen grabs available to media upon request.

Highlights of "YES Interactive only on DIRECTV"

-- An in-game box score, with an inning-by-inning game score and
game statistics for both the Yankees and their opponent

-- Bonus Cam, available during YES telecasts of all Yankees home
games, featuring split-screen isolated in-game coverage of an
individual player or situation on the field, as well as
pre-game activity such as batting practice, warm-ups and
infield practice

-- A scoreboard providing up-to-the-minute scores from around the
league each day, including the inning, runners on base and
number of outs for each game

-- Major League Baseball statistical leaders updated daily;
sortable among batters by batting average, home runs, RBI,
stolen bases, on-base percentage and sortable among pitchers
by won-loss record, ERA, saves and strikeouts

-- Major League Baseball standings updated daily, containing wild
card races and denoting teams which have clinched their
division or have secured a wild-card berth

-- "Due Up" graphics which provide viewers with a preview of the
next three batters for the team coming up to bat, along with
their hitting statistics for that particular game; viewers
will also be able to scroll through the entire batting order
for each team

-- Player profiles containing bio information for both the
Yankees and the opposing team

-- YES Scoop, intriguing background information on Yankees
players

-- The complete month-by-month 2006 Yankees schedule, featuring
results of previously played games and YES game broadcast
information for upcoming games
"`YES Interactive only on DIRECTV' puts Yankees fans in the director's chair," said Ray Hopkins, COO of the YES Network. "The various features of `YES Interactive only on DIRECTV' will provide Yankees fans with unprecedented access to the Bronx Bombers. This offering, in partnership with DIRECTV and MLBAM, is yet another example of YES taking advantage of the latest interactive technology in order to enhance the Yankees fan experience."

"Beyond the action on the field, the story of baseball is told through its statistics, box scores, team standings and the personalities of its players, and Yankees fans now have all of that information at their fingertips through YES/DIRECTV interactive content," said Eric Shanks, executive vice president, DIRECTV Entertainment. "We believe this is the future of sports TV programming -- a deeply engaging viewing experience where fans have the ultimate in convenience, control and quality -- and we can't think of a better or more appropriate way to begin the interactive TV revolution than with the YES Network and the most storied franchise in baseball."

The YES Network (Channel 622) is available as part of DIRECTV's TOTAL CHOICE® monthly programming service to residential customers in the Yankees home television territory, including New York and Connecticut, and areas of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. For DIRECTV customers living in these areas who want to access the enhanced features, DIRECTV is offering a free interactive receiver or DIRECTV Plus DVR receiver (with a programming commitment) through Aug. 31.

The YES Network has been the most-watched regional sports network in the country for three years running (2003, 2004, 2005), and also was the nation's most-watched regional sports network in the first half of the 2006 broadcast year. During the first half of 2006, YES claimed more viewers in the New York DMA than the other three New York regional sports networks (MSG Network, SportsNet New York and Fox Sports New York) combined, and also out-performed ESPN and ESPN2 in New York in Primetime.

About The YES Network

The YES Network features the 26-time World Champion New York Yankees and the 2002 and 2003 Eastern Conference Champion New Jersey Nets. The YES Network is available on cable to viewers in New York, Connecticut, and parts of New Jersey and Pennsylvania, and on DIRECTV nationally. In addition to Yankees and Nets games, YES televises other professional and collegiate sports teams and events, as well as classic sports footage. YES Network programming also includes original biography, interview and magazine programs, and a live simulcast of WFAN's "Mike and the Mad Dog" show Monday through Friday from 1pm-6:30pm. Further YES Network information can be found at www.yesnetwork.com.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc. is the nation's leading digital television service provider with more than 15.4 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV (NYSE:DTV) is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment services. DIRECTV is approximately 38 percent owned by News Corporation.

Robert Mercer, 310-964-4683
or
YES Network
Eric Handler, 646-487-3686
or
MLB Advanced Media
Jim Gallagher, 914-953-1103

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:38 AM

C'mon D* make the H20 interactive already!!! Hey Earl, reading that statement I take it though that YES Interactive is only available to those within the Yankee territory, correct?
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:12 AM

I am not sure if it is just Interactive for YES DMA... I'll ask next time I talk to DirecTV..

As for the H20... it is coming.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

I am not sure if it is just Interactive for YES DMA... I'll ask next time I talk to DirecTV..

As for the H20... it is coming.

They said it is only interactive for the NY DMA.

As for the interactivity for the H20 - can we expect BEFORE the end of THIS baseball season?

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:05 PM

I don't have any dates on it... so I can't say for sure.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#6 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:15 AM

:grin: I say big woop. The only people that can get this are the few in the NY area. No one with the RSN package can get it as the games would be blacked out.

http://news.yahoo.co...nm/directv_dc_2

"Out-of-market YES subscribers on DirecTV and the bulk of the YES viewers, on such cable systems as Time Warner Cable and Cablevision, are so far left out, though YES said it would be interested in branching out in the future."

Another "nitch" gimmick for DirecTV like so many recently that leave so many without.

#7 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:10 PM

I tried out this feature while watching part of yesterday's Yankees game. It was nice to be able to get scores and standings. I was disappointed that the interactive feature didn't work during commercials. I also couldn't get the "Bonus Cam" feature to work -- not sure if I was doing something wrong, or if it wasn't active during yesterday's game.

#8 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:05 PM

:grin: I say big woop. The only people that can get this are the few in the NY area. No one with the RSN package can get it as the games would be blacked out.

http://news.yahoo.co...nm/directv_dc_2

"Out-of-market YES subscribers on DirecTV and the bulk of the YES viewers, on such cable systems as Time Warner Cable and Cablevision, are so far left out, though YES said it would be interested in branching out in the future."

Another "nitch" gimmick for DirecTV like so many recently that leave so many without.

Its been reported elsewhere that the YES Interactive feature DOES work outside the NY DMA.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#9 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:08 PM

I was disappointed that the interactive feature didn't work during commercials. I also couldn't get the "Bonus Cam" feature to work -- not sure if I was doing something wrong, or if it wasn't active during yesterday's game.

They don't want you to be distracted from the commercials! The Bonus cam was working yesterday, although it did seem to have a bit more hesitation coming up than usual.

#10 OFFLINE   ScoBuck

ScoBuck

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:24 PM

Great additional feature - stats, scores of all games at a touch (while still being able to watch the game) LOVE IT! :)

#11 OFFLINE   mailiang

mailiang

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSpringsteen Country

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:33 PM

The way I understand it is, that the service is available to all DTV customers with interactive receivers. Local Yankee customers are offered an exchange for the newer receivers for free. I'm not surprised that Direct was first to offer this service to YES fans since Murdock and Steinbrenner are old buddys.;)

Ian
BOOMER MCLOUD XTREME CAR AUDIO :icon_bb:

#12 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

It looks like D* still has some kinks to work out with YES interactive. Tonight on my R15 the Bonus cam is not working. When I click the blue button it switches to the bonus cam but then immediately reverts back to the standard feed. Also, when I'm watching YES and I click on the Prev channel button or the Guide button on my remote it always switches to channel 201 for no apparent reason.

#13 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

I could care less about NY sports. Big fregin' deal.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#14 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:25 PM

I could care less about NY sports. Big fregin' deal.

Thanks for the insight.

#15 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the insight.

You know it makes a difference to the few of us that live outside NY. We see DTV spending this "limited bandwidth" on one DMA and sports at that. DTV isn't a cable company that serves one market and they make sure we know that. Yet they they seem to cater to one market. That's fine. At least we know their priorities.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5

#16 OFFLINE   stef92

stef92

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:30 AM

I HAD the interactive features on YES. They disappeared over the weekend along with my caller ID.

NOTE: Bonus cam only works when the game is being broadcast from Yankee Stadium.

#17 OFFLINE   mailiang

mailiang

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSpringsteen Country

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:23 PM

It looks like D* still has some kinks to work out with YES interactive. Tonight on my R15 the Bonus cam is not working. When I click the blue button it switches to the bonus cam but then immediately reverts back to the standard feed. Also, when I'm watching YES and I click on the Prev channel button or the Guide button on my remote it always switches to channel 201 for no apparent reason.

I haven't had a problem with the interactive feature yet, but using the prev channel button, channel guide, or even sometimes the exit button brings me to the 201 info channel. I have contacted DVR Tech Support and they are aware of the issues with YES, and it only seems to affect the R15. A software update is being planned for September ;)

Ian
BOOMER MCLOUD XTREME CAR AUDIO :icon_bb:

#18 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:31 PM

You know it makes a difference to the few of us that live outside NY. We see DTV spending this "limited bandwidth" on one DMA and sports at that. DTV isn't a cable company that serves one market and they make sure we know that. Yet they they seem to cater to one market. That's fine. At least we know their priorities.

If the plan is to have this available just for Yankees fans living in the NYC market, then I agree with you. But I assume that this is a pilot for future rollout in other markets. DTV has been fairly clear that they want to provide interactive TV capabilities.

#19 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:48 PM

If the plan is to have this available just for Yankees fans living in the NYC market, then I agree with you. But I assume that this is a pilot for future rollout in other markets. DTV has been fairly clear that they want to provide interactive TV capabilities.

I would guess this depends on the local networks (YES) that choose to participate or that DTV choosed to talk to. Given that, I don't see it being something most DTV viewers will be able to enjoy. It's a cool feature, but how wide spread?
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5

#20 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:14 AM

I agree with the above. I dont get any RSN's because I live near Phila and NY so no matter what RSN's get this function in the future, people in certain areas like me will never be able to take advantage of them.

I could think of many other features and many new channels that would benefit a much larger audience.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...