Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moved, now what?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tivoreno

tivoreno

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:05 AM

Ok, I "moved", quite some time ago. Been a D* customer for over 10 years now and suddenly today my service is disconnected. I call customer service and they can't pull up my account and hang up on me 3 times. I can't look at it online either. Finally I get through to a rep that says my account is being handled by the "Office of Signal Integrity". Of course they're closed this time of night. Anyone been through this before? Are they waiting to handcuff me when I call :) ? I guess "moving" to NY to get the Giants and Yankees in HD was good while it lasted. Just wondering what to expect when I call them tomorrow?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TMullenJr

TMullenJr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:46 AM

You have the right to remain silent....:whatdidid

#3 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:06 AM

Sounds like they are cracking down.

Maybe like over at DISH, if you are doing something like that and not connected to a phone line, they will turn you off until you connect to a phone line.

Of course when connected a phone and the box dials in from a phone number not in NY, you are discovered.

I doubt they will prosecute you, but you'll probably lose your right to have D*.

If you want to try to continue your signal stealing, you can try this approach. Tell them that your address is really where you live and you have no landline phone, just a cell phone so you can't connect to a phone line. If that doesn't work tell them to go ahead and mail your bills to the NY address if they don't believe you (then just pay all of your bills online). Get angry, raise some hell like they are ripping you off, even though you're really the crook.
It should work.

#4 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:24 AM

Finally I get through to a rep that says my account is being handled by the "Office of Signal Integrity".

Many years ago, I got a harsh letter from them as my receivers called in from different phone numbers. I guess the number the receivers call has CallerID.

Like many people I have multiple phone lines and didnt think it mattered as long as it was connected to a phone line. I never read anywhere where it had to be the "same" phone line. They resent some code or something to make them redial in and after I rewired everything and its been fine.

#5 OFFLINE   scott T

scott T

The Nth degree

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:26 AM

If you need a NY phone number to plug into ....
Order vonage with a NY area phone number. DONE!
Scott T

[SIZE="1"]****************Directv*****************
SlimLine AU-9; (1) Zinwell 6x16 Multi-Switch; (1) HR20 HDDVR; (5) R15 Directv Plus; (1) R-10 DVR Tivo Unit

#6 OFFLINE   tivoreno

tivoreno

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:29 AM

Get angry, raise some hell

Naw, I don't need to do anything like that at this point. Just want my service turned back on, even if I have to put up with the amature locals.

#7 OFFLINE   tivoreno

tivoreno

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:14 AM

If you need a NY phone number to plug into ....
Order vonage with a NY area phone number. DONE!

Not immediately sure this will work, though it may. I made the call and my service is back on. Seems they audited my account and found it hard to believe I lived at a McDonalds. Anyhow, they were more interested in setting up a confirmable address than holding my feet to the fire. Told them "I'm back at my billing address now"........."uh-huh" was his reply (no one's fooling anyone here I guess) and he did the receiver call-backs and turned on my service, but made me promise to fax in a phone bill to his attention. I still have DNS, which I've always had, but since I'm in the Mountain tz, I now have west coast HD instead of east :(

#8 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:00 AM

Directv's software shows the last # your receiver called in on. And most if not all major 800#s customers call in to have whats called "ANI" or Automatic Number Identification.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

#9 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:16 PM

hang up on me 3 times.

Has anyone else but me noticed this. I swear D* has something on there phone line that automatically hangs up after a set time or have an issue with there phone system where it hangs up on people randomly. I've been talking to a tech rep and there talking and the phone just disconnects. I could understand if the tech rep hung up on me but I'm 99% sure that is not the case. Heck on of the times was in the middle of setting up my HD Tivo and she was in the middle of reading the "agreement" to me and it disconnected. I'd figure it was a fluke but it happened so much when I called (I was calling alot when I first got the R15).

tivoreno, glad to hear you "moved" back ok.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

spam firewall