Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Thumbs up to DirecTV customer service

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:35 PM

As a lot of you know... my father passed away about 3 months ago.
In the last three months, my dad's girlfirend and son lived in the home.

They moved out last week... so time to cancel the DirecTV service.

After getting through the voice activated system... and making sure that it was not MY account I was calling about (As the caller-id pegged my account on their system).

The deactivation of system went EXTREMELY easily, and they where kind enough to credit the balance, since my dad never missed a payment, and the account was current up to July 12th....

They where very curtous and sympathetic... and laughed at my joke, that he has better reception where he is now....... yah know... "Somebody up there loves me..."

-------------
I am writing this because in dealing with a lot of these companies with regards to my dad's stuff... this by far has to be the easiest.

Cingular charged $600 in termination fees, and even though ZERO minutes where used in the two months (between his death and us getting a chance to call them)

Chase (the mortgage company), well we are on our "third" round of paper work, just so I can get access to the details of the mortgage (even though I am the Admin of the Estate).

None the less...

We may poke a lot of fun at the expense of the CSRs... but at least in this case... They would earn the award for customer service...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:33 PM

Earl,

Sorry to hear about your father. It is good to hear good comments about D* on this, because most of the time we just hear all the bad things.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:50 PM

Chase (the mortgage company), well we are on our "third" round of paper work, just so I can get access to the details of the mortgage (even though I am the Admin of the Estate).

I've found the Certificate of Trusteeship to be the weapon of choice in the battle against recalcitrant financial institutions. Most of them start with an original death certificate (of which they make a photocopy) but they don't really stop screwing around until you slap them with the CoT.

A while back I commented about how wireless phone companies were lying about leasing "free" phones and took a whole lot of heat. I'm guessing that you might now be a believer.

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:19 PM

A while back I commented about how wireless phone companies were lying about leasing "free" phones and took a whole lot of heat. I'm guessing that you might now be a believer.

I don't recall that thread, but if I implied that you where lying or making it up, in anyway... please accept my appologize... As there hasn't been a moment in the last 6 years that I have trusted the Cell Phone companies...

They are bass-akwards as they come when it comes to contracts and phones and garbage.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:46 AM

Cingular charged $600 in termination fees, and even though ZERO minutes where used in the two months (between his death and us getting a chance to call them)

Wow, I'm shocked that they don't have a clause for a death in the family. I'm sorry that your having issues with trying to close accounts and pay bills. I hope the rest of the bills/services go as smooth as D* did.
1 R15's and 2 HR20-100

#6 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:34 AM

Considering how some people are reportedly being buried with their cell phones (for what reason I have NO idea), I guess Cingular does not consider the death of the contract holder grounds for the expiration of the contract any more!

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,343 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:48 AM

Considering how some people are reportedly being buried with their cell phones (for what reason I have NO idea), I guess Cingular does not consider the death of the contract holder grounds for the expiration of the contract any more!

It may be a joke that is going around, but morticians are supposed to remove all batteries (save maybe pacemakers) from the body before burial. This sounds like an urban legend to me.

#8 OFFLINE   igator99

igator99

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:13 PM

As a lot of you know... my father passed away about 3 months ago.
In the last three months, my dad's girlfirend and son lived in the home.

They moved out last week... so time to cancel the DirecTV service.

After getting through the voice activated system... and making sure that it was not MY account I was calling about (As the caller-id pegged my account on their system).

The deactivation of system went EXTREMELY easily, and they where kind enough to credit the balance, since my dad never missed a payment, and the account was current up to July 12th....

They where very curtous and sympathetic... and laughed at my joke, that he has better reception where he is now....... yah know... "Somebody up there loves me..."

-------------
I am writing this because in dealing with a lot of these companies with regards to my dad's stuff... this by far has to be the easiest.

None the less...

We may poke a lot of fun at the expense of the CSRs... but at least in this case... They would earn the award for customer service...

Sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a parent is something you never get over. For the most part all my dealings with directv customer service has been great. A few jerks here and there but for the most part awesome. I can't believe Cingular is enforcing termination fees. They are my wireless and because of what you have told me and the lousy service I get from them I'm going to switch to nextel when my contract is up. I know I don't know you but I know exactly what you are going through I lost both of my parents by the time I was 18. May God bless you and remember he is still with you. Anytime I've had a daunting task to perform or was going through troubling times a strange calm would come over me and I knew they were there and everything turned out all right.

#9 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:24 PM

Not only was I a tier II tech support agent for Directv for a couple of years, before
that, I was an inbound collections agent for Sprint Cellular, and trained to be a CSR for T-Mobile. My mother was an agent for a cellular company for over 10 years.

That crappola with cingular is OVER the top! I went to their website, found the # for sales, called them and told them because a recently passed customer's son was forced to pay $600.00 in termination fees, I was never going to go with them, I think they are low scum, and I am telling everybody, including a relative with Cingular, what happend to you.

Bad bad word of mouth, this tripped my trigger and I took action.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,812 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:18 PM

It may be a joke that is going around, but morticians are supposed to remove all batteries (save maybe pacemakers) from the body before burial. This sounds like an urban legend to me.

And just what purpose would a battery in a pacemaker have after burial??????????????????????:confused:

Carl

spam firewall