Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

July 27 2006 outage (locals)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scott T

scott T

The Nth degree

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:28 PM

I just lost all my local Cleveland channels.

Good signal on transponders.

Now the message from Directv.... "no need to call. We are working on the problem"

I was already on the phone and the Tech checked for a ETA, but said there was not one.

Any other city lose their locals?
Scott T

[SIZE="1"]****************Directv*****************
SlimLine AU-9; (1) Zinwell 6x16 Multi-Switch; (1) HR20 HDDVR; (5) R15 Directv Plus; (1) R-10 DVR Tivo Unit

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scott T

scott T

The Nth degree

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:39 PM

OK, I have only had my service for 27 days. I have had my signal knocked out by weather 6 times. Had the 18” dish realigned twice. Had an AT9 installed and still had the signal knocked out from weather. Have had one receiver replaced. And now, my locals are out.

The technician claimed that this is highly unusual. Hmmm I’m losing confidence in this whole idea of personal (DBS) satellite entertainment.
Scott T

SlimLine AU-9; (1) Zinwell 6x16 Multi-Switch; (1) HR20 HDDVR; (5) R15 Directv Plus; (1) R-10 DVR Tivo Unit

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:42 PM

If you are getting tha tmessage on yoru screen...

Then you are receiving the signal from DirecTV.. .soemthing is wrong on their side of things.

Either the uplink from your locals to DirecTV is down, or something else.

There are some MASSIVE MASSIVE electrical and powerfull storms going through Illinois right now.... So depending on how your locals get their signal to DirecTV's uplink center...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   scott T

scott T

The Nth degree

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:50 PM

There are some MASSIVE MASSIVE electrical and powerfull storms going through Illinois right now.... So depending on how your locals get their signal to DirecTV's uplink center...

I don't know how many customers they have in each market or particularly in Cleveland. But if it was a power thing, damn have a backup generator.

Storms happen. My cable did not go out 6 times a month!
Scott T

#5 OFFLINE   borissauer

borissauer

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:55 PM

We lost the Locals in New Orleans with that message on the screen twice in the last 2 days. Nothing to do with weather around here.
Boris

#6 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:57 PM

All is well in the Pittsburgh DMA. Last time (the only time I can recall) was during primetime in the Fall 2005 during new shows.

Hopefully, you are not really missing that much....it is a pain no matter when it happens though.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#7 OFFLINE   Phroz

Phroz

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:16 PM

I've had that happen a couple of times... not recently though.

#8 OFFLINE   scott T

scott T

The Nth degree

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:37 PM

Ok, We are back on with locals. Lost them for about 35 minutes. Not that long, unless you're watching something! Like ....

BREAKING NEWS

Bentley lost for the season
LeCharles Bentley was taken off the practice field Thursday morning after suffering a torn patella tendon in his left knee during a team drill. Before the afternoon practice, general manager Phil Savage confirmed Bentley’s injury and said Bentley will have surgery as soon as Friday.

This is just the way it goes in Cleveland :nono2:
Scott T

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:45 PM

See you would have had a plesent evening if your locals never came back on.... now you have to already say.... wait till next season...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:59 PM

OK, I have only had my service for 27 days. I have had my signal knocked out by weather 6 times. Had the 18” dish realigned twice. Had an AT9 installed and still had the signal knocked out from weather. Have had one receiver replaced. And now, my locals are out.

The technician claimed that this is highly unusual. Hmmm I’m losing confidence in this whole idea of personal (DBS) satellite entertainment.

Maybe it's just me but I personally find a linear hetrodyne type tone oscillator better for arriving on the precise signal peak than any type of "meter" or spectrum analyzer.

Your unfortunate experiences do seem to be more the exception than rule. Maybe it's time to take a walk around the block and check with neighbors. Hopefully you can find someone else on your block with DTV and compare experiences. What you're experiencing is not normal. Rain fade? Yes, but certainly not 6 times in 27 days unless you're living in a rain forest somewhere. If you've been watching the nat'l weather you've seen where we've recently had several days of torrential downpours here in Houston. Throughout all of this we've lost the signal once for about 20 seconds.
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#11 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:22 PM

I don't know how many customers they have in each market or particularly in Cleveland. But if it was a power thing, damn have a backup generator.

Storms happen. My cable did not go out 6 times a month!

Thats WEIRD Im in the Cleveland DMA as well and I did NOT lose my locals signal I was watching my locals from 5 till around 8 without interruption. Which channel were you watching I was watching Channel 8 from 5-7 then switched to Channel 5 until 8.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#12 OFFLINE   scott T

scott T

The Nth degree

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:51 AM

Thats WEIRD Im in the Cleveland DMA as well and I did NOT lose my locals signal I was watching my locals from 5 till around 8 without interruption. Which channel were you watching I was watching Channel 8 from 5-7 then switched to Channel 5 until 8.

Hmm, There is no doubt that the locals were offline. Confirmed that with D*. I'm curious though, were you watching the HD locals?

:rolleyes: I'm wondering if maybe just the STD were out. If that's the case then it was not a Cleveland area uplink thing, it was a 101 transponder thing.
Scott T

#13 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:22 AM

We had the same thing happen in St. Louis several times last week. It happened several times over about a 5 day period. But, we have had 2 rounds of massive storms and knocking power out to over 500,000 people over the area. I think some of our proplems was that it knocked power out to the tv towers or the storm took them out. I would check the channels on my OTA and there was no signal there either. So, I never called Directv because I knew it wasn't on there end.

#14 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:10 AM

Hmm, There is no doubt that the locals were offline. Confirmed that with D*. I'm curious though, were you watching the HD locals?

:rolleyes: I'm wondering if maybe just the STD were out. If that's the case then it was not a Cleveland area uplink thing, it was a 101 transponder thing.

Yep I was watching the HD locals in fact I have taken the OTA antenna channels such as 8-1, 5-1 etc off my Channels List.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

Protected By... spam firewall...And...