Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Using a pole to get over trees?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:14 PM

I was wondering how do you calculate the length of pole needed to get over trees that are in the way?

The pole needs to be just a bit less than the height of the trees.

You do however need a good 90' runway to get up enough speed to vault properly. Also I'd recommend a good airbag on the other side of the trees.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:07 PM

Go buy an inclometer (chuckle).

Look through the sight glass and "back up" till the elevation angle numbers "misses" the trees. .

No math. no headACHE.

#23 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:16 PM

Do it the old fashioned way: Get a toilet paper tube or paper towl tube. Go take a walk to your backyard where you want to put your pole. Face the correct direction to the south for your location. Look through the tube at the angle you need (35 degrees in my case). You see clear sky in the tube? Now squat down to the point where the tube will be where your dish will be. Still see clear sky? Then you're all set and will get a signal. :)

#24 OFFLINE   igator99

igator99

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:51 PM

Do it the old fashioned way: Get a toilet paper tube or paper towl tube. Go take a walk to your backyard where you want to put your pole. Face the correct direction to the south for your location. Look through the tube at the angle you need (35 degrees in my case). You see clear sky in the tube? Now squat down to the point where the tube will be where your dish will be. Still see clear sky? Then you're all set and will get a signal. :)

I like that old school solution. :) I do remeber about four years ago after 3 DirecTV installers said it was impossible I had about a ten foot pole at the spot where I want to plant the new slimline. I used it to adjust the dish to get the signal then moved it to the house but had to add eight more feet to the pole. Over the years I've had to slide a five inch brick under the pole to keep it over the tree line. So using my old school math skills I would think that a 12 - 15 foot pole should do the trick. Thanks to all for information, input and twisting my mind on math problems. :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...