Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directtv customer with upgrade question for my Dishnetwork mom

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wipeout

wipeout

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:57 AM

My mom has one SD receiver at her house. She runs the main tv via s-video and a bedroom receiver via co-ax. She lives alone so this is sufficient. I called Dish customer care last night and got very confusing information so I thought I would come here where I'll get the real story.

If she were to upgrade this receiver to one HD reciever do they have any free upgrade promo's going? What I would like her to be able to get is an even swap for her sd unit with no upfront cost and free installation of the new dish she would require (I assume she needs a superdish or whatever they are calling it these days to get all available programming). Also, since this would be her only unit I would like her to not have to pay a monthly fee for the hardware (lease fee/mirroring fee). Also I don't want her to be required to get any HD package, she is in the Philly market so the local HD stations are good enough.

Where I'm going with this is I want her to be able to enjoy local HD with no out of pocket costs and no increase to her monthly payment. OTA is not an option.

How close can I get to achieving my goal?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:52 AM

My mom has one SD receiver at her house. She runs the main tv via s-video and a bedroom receiver via co-ax. She lives alone so this is sufficient. I called Dish customer care last night and got very confusing information so I thought I would come here where I'll get the real story.

If she were to upgrade this receiver to one HD reciever do they have any free upgrade promo's going? What I would like her to be able to get is an even swap for her sd unit with no upfront cost and free installation of the new dish she would require (I assume she needs a superdish or whatever they are calling it these days to get all available programming). Also, since this would be her only unit I would like her to not have to pay a monthly fee for the hardware (lease fee/mirroring fee). Also I don't want her to be required to get any HD package, she is in the Philly market so the local HD stations are good enough.

Where I'm going with this is I want her to be able to enjoy local HD with no out of pocket costs and no increase to her monthly payment. OTA is not an option.

I assume she has a 322 (only way I know to control two SD sets with one receiver). There is no HD equivalent to that, yet, so to control one HD and one SD, she would need to either add a 211 for HD, or replace the 322 with a 622 DVR.

You would have to buy the HD receiver to avoid going to a metallic package. You can only get the free satellite dish upgrade via the metallic package. You won't need a new dish if you're not going metallic, anyway. You won't pay a lease fee, but you'll pay a DVR charge and an HD enabling fee, even if you buy your own equipment.

If all she wants is OTA HD and SD, have her get a Dish 381 receiver. Since she'll have to keep her current receiver for the SD set, there'll still be an additional receiver fee.

Attached Files

#3 OFFLINE   wipeout

wipeout

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:41 PM

She has a 301 I believe. This enables her to watch the same programming on both tv's which is sufficient. I called the Winback dept. They offered to waive any upfront fee for the hd unit and different dish but still have to pay $6 lease fee and $6 hd enable fee. Too much extra per month just so she can watch the major networks in hd.

Perhaps if I buy a Dish hd unit myself then there is no lease fee. Also we should not have to swap out the dish because she doesn't need it to see any of the hd pak channels. Since she would just be putting her sd unit into storage then no mirror fee either. I just don't like this hd enable fee, seems like they penalize ya for not taking one of there hd paks.

Ahh, looks like she may just have to stick with what she has got.

#4 OFFLINE   wipeout

wipeout

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

381 will not cut it because we do not want to be bothered with an antenna.

#5 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:36 PM

381 will not cut it because we do not want to be bothered with an antenna.

Fine.

#6 OFFLINE   Wagon Man

Wagon Man

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:56 AM

[quote name='wipeout']381 will not cut it because we do not want to be bothered with an antenna.[/QUOT]

What's wrong with antenna? Especially your objectives is to recieve HD channels, don't want to subscribe HD package & donlt want to pay extra monthly fees.

I have a $40 DB2 wired directly into my TV (not thru the 211). Marvellous OTA signal.

But each of its own... good luck.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:16 AM

I assume she has a 322 (only way I know to control two SD sets with one receiver).

Perhaps a 5xx series DVR (RF remote).

The ViP222 would be a possibility if it existed. The ViP211 lacks an RF remote.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:24 AM

Dish Network (and any other company that stays in business) has been highly resistant to giving away products and services. We all wish the best for our mothers, but to Dish, they are just another subscriber who is expected to pay the standard prices and fees.

Cable may offer what you are looking for, but they'll probably choke on the monthly price. They would almost certainly require two receivers if any premium content is desired in the sleeping chambers.

#9 OFFLINE   kb7oeb

kb7oeb

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:36 PM

Cable might be a good choice, they usually pass the local channels in HD with basic cable so that all you need is a QAM tuner. If the tv is a recent model it might have QAM built in.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:54 PM

Cable might be a good choice, they usually pass the local channels in HD with basic cable so that all you need is a QAM tuner. If the tv is a recent model it might have QAM built in.

If your TV supports cablecard, it probably supports QAM for basic digital content.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...