Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1-2 year commitment

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   whynot83706

whynot83706

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:07 AM

My friend just switched to Cable and I was planning to use one of his receivers. Since I need to order new card will that lock me up in the new 2 year commitment with DTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:22 AM

You can try to discuss it with them, but usually...yes
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,959 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:22 AM

My friend just switched to Cable and I was planning to use one of his receivers. Since I need to order new card will that lock me up in the new 2 year commitment with DTV.

Call DirecTV and ask them.

In theory, the commitment comes from getting a new receiver and/or having a professional installation done. If you are adding the receiver to an existing account, you just need to get it turned up. If you need an install, you might as well get a new receiver setup because you'll likely have to commit to get the install.

Unless your friend owes a wad of money, you shouldn't need to replace the card. You'll just need to get it transferred to you.

#4 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 02:31 PM

They will do everything to convince you that you need to be under contract, but really you don't. The contract usually comes as a result of an investment D* makes in you as a customer, and in return you guarantee commitment to them.

So when you call, make it clear you do NOT want a commitment. Get it in WRITING!!

Do not accept free equipment. Do not accept any specials. Do not accept special pricing. Do not accept any free or discounted packages. Any acceptance of any of the above automatically locks you into a contract.

So if they make no investment in you, then they will either want you as a new customer, or they won't. Good luck.

#5 OFFLINE   whynot83706

whynot83706

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:17 PM

They will do everything to convince you that you need to be under contract, but really you don't. The contract usually comes as a result of an investment D* makes in you as a customer, and in return you guarantee commitment to them.

So when you call, make it clear you do NOT want a commitment. Get it in WRITING!!

Do not accept free equipment. Do not accept any specials. Do not accept special pricing. Do not accept any free or discounted packages. Any acceptance of any of the above automatically locks you into a contract.

So if they make no investment in you, then they will either want you as a new customer, or they won't. Good luck.

Ty

#6 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:05 AM

Ty

Let us know what happened. Curious.

#7 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:52 AM

I don't think this puts a commitment on you, if you order a card, and then call back to add the card and the receiver. I usually would see commitments added when ordering additional receivers, replacment receivers, additional dvrs, or replacment dvrs/hd equipment.

If a commitment is required, a pop up usually happens when the agent is making the changes...I never saw that when activating a card.

It could have changed by now, but I am reasonably sure there would be no commitment, if it does happen, it would happen when the access card team ordered a card.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...