Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NFL Sunday Ticket - Stand Alone

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:02 PM

So I get Sunday Ticket stand alone. Everyone tells me that you can't do this, but I do it.

Personally I find it to be a total scam that if D* is the only place in the world that offers this service, how can they make you also buy Total Choice if you don't want it?

What about people that really don't watch much TV? I mainly watch networks, and I usually use the antenna for top-notch HD signal. So if I were a new D* customer and I wanted NFL Sunday ticket, it would cost me $250 plus nearly $600 after taxes for like 200 channels that I do not want.

Now I've been flamed many times by the D* sympathizers about "Ohh they paid $2BILLION!!! What's wrong with you?" As if I should feel sorry for them that they let the NFL put the screws to them to keep the exclusivity. I understand that they are in the business to make money, but they also can't discriminate. I think the free OTA TV viewers are discriminated against here. It's like a tire company making you buy a new car before agreeing to sell you tires.

OK, I'm getting off the point here. Back to me.. I get NFLST stand alone. I get no other D* programming. I am one of the lucky few that has a really good cable company with all-digital channels and a better DVR and much better looking HD than D* and FREE HD and no paying $500 to LEASE equipment, and it costs about the same, and I've never had a cable outage or rain fade, etc.... (I know I am in the minority as I read about some of your cable companies that obvious have done nothing in last 10 years but collect your money). So every Sunday I put my dish (mounted on a cinderblock), on the patio and I watch my steelers.

As I was explaining what I do on the football forum, somebody told me the reason why I am allowed to do this. Now keep in mind, I have no idea if this person has any idea what he is talking about. He said there a lawsuit against D* based on complaints similar to mine about the required commitment. He said the result of the lawsuit was a half win for both sides. He said that D* had the right to force a new customer into a 1 yr agreement. However, after that 1 year, the customer has the right to cancel Total Choice at any time, but still keep NFL Sunday Ticket if they wish.

Is there any truth to this? I searched through many of D*'s lawsuits and could not find it.

It makes sense because I was a D* subscriber for a few years, but then cancelled everything except NFLST, and have had just NFLST ever since.

Which bring sup another question. If someone were to cancel Total Choice, and paid their contract-breaking fee, could that $150 penalty lock them in to being able to have NFLST stand-alone as I do? Also, could existing D* customers cancel everything exceot NFLST and go to cable if that is a better option for them.

Of course the D* web page doesn't say anything about this, it's not something they would openly advertise I am sure. The only reference even remotely related to this can be found in D*'s Terms and Conditions page, which states, and I quote:

"To receive sports programming and to order pay per view by remote, a DIRECTV subscription is required (except stand-alone NFL SUNDAY TICKET renewals) ".

So.... If there is no NFLST stand-alone, why have this in the terms and conditions? Which leads to the next question, how do you become an NFLST stand-alone subscriber?

Anyone in the know? Many Many millions of football fans out there who are not D* subscribers just might have an opportunity to get NFLST and not even know it. Which leads me to another thought...... Wouldn't D* rather get a little profit from all of these people than get none? If they truly beilieve what they advertise about how much better they are hten cable, then they certainly aren't worried about losing customers, but they stand to gain a lot more by giving them NFLST stand alone.. And you'd have to think a percentage of those would switch to D* if the like the quality of NFLST and get sick of installing a dish every Sunday.

Have a good weekend...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:12 PM

I thought being a stand alone NFLST subscriber was one of those things that was grand-fathered in. If you had it you keep it.

Kinda like the HD from the east and west feeds when you have local in local HD available in your market (although they say that will be removed in due time). New subs to HD can not get the east and west feeds if they do have the local MPEG4 locals available to them.

That's my theory at least...
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#3 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:49 PM

HeHeHe!

All my theoris about D* where nipped in the bud around '99 or '00.

I had a service call, work order said searching...

When I rolled into the driveway I saw an old mutisat dish, locals were on the 110. There where a lot of trees an I new line of site was a problem.

An old woman answered the door, showed me the equipment and left me alone. After checking the transponders I went outside an checked for power at the dish, good, replaced the dish an worried about line of site. Checked the transponders again, no 119, 110 at 50 an 101 at 95.

I just knew I would have to move the dish. I then checked for programing Cnn, ext 721, 5 (a local off 110) ext 721. I asked her if she had canceled her programing, she said no! an took the remote.

Turned the receiver off pressed tv an channel up 4 PBS bouya, 5 cbs an right on up through FOX. Then she turned the receiver on an put in 501. All the HBO's plus Showtime/Encore.

I went back outside an put up a round dish, Reconfiged her receiver.

She got her locals off air, all she subscribed to were HBO an Showtime/Encore just for some movies but mostly for boxing an westerns.

I'm not sure who she talked to or how persistent she was but she got what she wanted. $18 per month.

:hurah:

#4 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:03 PM

If you had Sunday Ticket stand alone in the past it will renew that way. This comes up every year.

And honestly DirecTV does pay for exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket. How they want to package or sell it is their business decision. You don't have to like it. I don't like the fact that to get my HD locals via cable I would have to get the upper range "digital tier" at over $70 a month and pay $11 a month rental on an HD box (oh and that will be $3 a month if you want a remote with that). I don't agree with it but cable makes that business decision. And I decide it sucks and go with DirecTV. No harm, no foul. ;)

#5 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:19 AM

If you had Sunday Ticket stand alone in the past it will renew that way. This comes up every year.

And honestly DirecTV does pay for exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket. How they want to package or sell it is their business decision. You don't have to like it. I don't like the fact that to get my HD locals via cable I would have to get the upper range "digital tier" at over $70 a month and pay $11 a month rental on an HD box (oh and that will be $3 a month if you want a remote with that). I don't agree with it but cable makes that business decision. And I decide it sucks and go with DirecTV. No harm, no foul. ;)

True. However they don't really "package" it. I mean fine, they paid to the hilt for exclusivity, I am OK with that, and I will pay them for it. However to force 200 unwanted channels at the customer's expense is the problem that I have.

We have so many consumer protection laws and ani-monolpoly laws in this country. As a consumer, I have a right to purchase a product that is legally available to me. If one company has monopolized that product, that I have to buy it from from them. OK. Now how they can force me to buy another package is beyond me.

It's like if Ford owned Goodyear and Goodyear refused to sell tires unless you first bought a Ford. It would never be legal.

PS - Wow your cable company is expensive. Out everything Digital Tier is $56 and that includes a box (HD box and base HD package are free and included in the $56)

#6 OFFLINE   Bobman

Bobman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:34 AM

Kinda reminds me of the abusers that didn't want to pay for HBO and only ordered it when a movie they liked was on then canceled right afterwards. Finally DirecTV put a stop to it by starting an early cancellation fee.

#7 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:07 AM

Personally I don't see why offering the NFLST as a stand-alone would be such a big deal.

Have the stand alone consumer pay up-fron for the dish installation plus any equipment that they order with no subsidy (or a very, very, minor one at that). Then charge whatever price they wanted to for the NFLST. Add a hefty surcharge if that is what the bean-counters would need if they are afraid they would lose current subs to a SA NFLST offering.

Could be no worse than the platinum package they marketed. Probably would have 1000:1 signup ratio for a SA NFLST versus the platinum package, and would be a good way for them to reach new subscribers. Many people just need to see DTV once and they happily run away from their current content provider.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#8 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:26 PM

Kinda reminds me of the abusers that didn't want to pay for HBO and only ordered it when a movie they liked was on then canceled right afterwards. Finally DirecTV put a stop to it by starting an early cancellation fee.

Hardly an abuser. I pay full price. I pay on time. I own all of my equipment. I satified my contract and then some. I renew every year. I keep it connected to a landline phone and AC power, even when not in use and stored away.

I, like many others, simply do not want total choice. Period. Don't want it voluntarily, don't want it forced upon me.

Somehow it's legal. This reminds me, my cable company does something similar. I wanted to buy the Starz package, it has like 10 channels. Well they would only sell me 3 starz channels unless I also got HBO, then I would get all 10 Starz, but without HBO, only 3. (3 or 10... same price) What a crock. To their credit, when I expressed my frustration, they gave me HBO, Starz, Cinemax, and Sho for a year.

So I am not necessarily picking on D*, just surprised they can do that.

spam firewall