Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is this a multiswitch problem? (wrong channels)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wjarrettc

wjarrettc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:53 PM

Guys, I'm pretty sure I have a multiswitch problem but I'd like some "expert" opinions before I go and replace it. For the record, I have a SAM-3042 multiswitch.

Here's what's going on.

On one tuner of my DirecTiVo unit I am getting ShopNBC on channel 616, which should Fox Sports Espanol. Also, I am getting Discovery Home on channel 587, which should just be a DTV test channel.

Interestingly, I've noticed that ShopNBC and Discovery Home are on satellite 101(A) transponder 27 whereas Fox Sports Espanol and 587 test are supposed to be on 119(B) transponder 27.

It looks like I'm getting the 119B-27 transponder overridden by 101A-27.

Even more confusing is that I went out the multiswitch and pulled one of the outputs and all of sudden, everything started working. As soon as I plug the 2nd output back in, it goes haywire again.

With everything plugged in, Tuner 2 on my DirecTiVo is working fine. Only Tuner 1 is showing this problem.

What do you guys think?

Jarrett

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:08 PM

Multiswitch.

Try swapping outputs and if you have a spare (unused) output let that one become the "defective" one. I believe the internal switching uses pin diodes which can and do fail and/or behave erratically at times. One of the most common Multiswitch problems is "selective attenuarion" where one (usually only one) transponder will have unusually low output on just one port. Considering most of these are made in China, weird problems doesn't surprise me.
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 02:33 PM

To verify each sat, tune to chs 490-494. These will verify reception on 101 odd/even, 119 odd/even and 110 even. Also, look at every TP signal strength on each satellite and report your results.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   wjarrettc

wjarrettc

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:32 PM

To verify each sat, tune to chs 490-494. These will verify reception on 101 odd/even, 119 odd/even and 110 even. Also, look at every TP signal strength on each satellite and report your results.

Okay, this multiswitch is feeding 3 tuners (1 in a D10, 2 in a R10). All are having problems.

On the D10
========
490 (101 Odd) - OK
491 (101 Even) - OK 5 minutes ago, right now "Searching for satellite signal"
492 (119 Odd) - Channel Not Available
493 (119 Even) - Channel Not Available
494 (110 Even) - Channel Not Availabe

Also, when testing satellite strengths, the D10 does not offer any satellite to test but 101. Right now, 101 Odd have good signal strength (90+) and all even are 0. 5 minutes ago, 101 Odd and Even both showed good signal strenght (90+).

When I run the "Auto-Detect" program on the D10 it says that my Dish Type is Round (Single or Dual LNB) but I have a 3-LNB system. It shows Sat 101 as "OK" and the Tuner as "OK".

On the R10
========
490 (101 Odd) - OK on both tuners
491 (101 Even) - OK on both tuners
492 (119 Odd) - blank screen (no DirecTV banner displaying the Test channel msg)
493 (119 Even) - OK on both tuners
494 (110 Even) - OK on both tuners

Signal strength test for all transponders on all satellites and tuners shows strong signals (93+), but the channels that are mapped to the 119 Odd seem to be showing 101 Odd programming instead.

HR-250
=====
This box seems to be on a completely separate cable run from the satellite as none of the multiswitch outputs that I've been messing with feed this box. There must be another multiswitch under the house that I'm not aware of (haven't crawled under there yet). Everything on this receiver is working fine.

NOTE: One thing I just noticed is that the line in for the 13V satellite feed on the multiswitch seems to have been pinched rather acutely to stuff the mass of cabling into the weather proof box. All of a sudden I'm a little suspicious of this piece of coax. But would that explain the dropouts on the transponders on the D10 for the 101 satellite (that's the 18V feed right?)

It's just started to rain outside so I won't be able to change out the coax until after this storm passes.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

#5 OFFLINE   wjarrettc

wjarrettc

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:18 PM

Okay some more info.

My R10 just lost the even transponders on 101 and ch491 was a "acquiring satellite" message. I ran the signal strength test on all the transponders and they were all fine. I went back to ch491 and it was coming in fine.

I walked back down the hall to the D10 and all even and odd TPs on 101 are strong now (whereas even was zeros earlier).

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:38 PM

Since you list enough equipment that requires five outpus, I have to assume that there is a multiswitch somewhere (which yoiu mentioned). Is that the only one? First thing to do is to verify all of your connections.

Since it is raining, you also need to check the connections for corrosion.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 OFFLINE   AnonomissX

AnonomissX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:59 AM

Okay, this multiswitch is feeding 3 tuners (1 in a D10, 2 in a R10). All are having problems.

On the D10
========
490 (101 Odd) - OK
491 (101 Even) - OK 5 minutes ago, right now "Searching for satellite signal"
492 (119 Odd) - Channel Not Available
493 (119 Even) - Channel Not Available
494 (110 Even) - Channel Not Availabe

Also, when testing satellite strengths, the D10 does not offer any satellite to test but 101. Right now, 101 Odd have good signal strength (90+) and all even are 0. 5 minutes ago, 101 Odd and Even both showed good signal strenght (90+).

When I run the "Auto-Detect" program on the D10 it says that my Dish Type is Round (Single or Dual LNB) but I have a 3-LNB system. It shows Sat 101 as "OK" and the Tuner as "OK".

On the R10
========
490 (101 Odd) - OK on both tuners
491 (101 Even) - OK on both tuners
492 (119 Odd) - blank screen (no DirecTV banner displaying the Test channel msg)
493 (119 Even) - OK on both tuners
494 (110 Even) - OK on both tuners

Signal strength test for all transponders on all satellites and tuners shows strong signals (93+), but the channels that are mapped to the 119 Odd seem to be showing 101 Odd programming instead.

HR-250
=====
This box seems to be on a completely separate cable run from the satellite as none of the multiswitch outputs that I've been messing with feed this box. There must be another multiswitch under the house that I'm not aware of (haven't crawled under there yet). Everything on this receiver is working fine.

NOTE: One thing I just noticed is that the line in for the 13V satellite feed on the multiswitch seems to have been pinched rather acutely to stuff the mass of cabling into the weather proof box. All of a sudden I'm a little suspicious of this piece of coax. But would that explain the dropouts on the transponders on the D10 for the 101 satellite (that's the 18V feed right?)

It's just started to rain outside so I won't be able to change out the coax until after this storm passes.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Along with everything else mentioned...

Sounds like your d10 receiver may have to be reprogrammed to an oval 3 dish...if you try, and it fails, then the multiswitch, or the dish itself is to blame if multiple recievers have the same problem.
~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

If you have a question, I may or may not have an answer.

"Fat people are harder to Kidnap" :lol:

spam firewall