Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Transferring Receivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   y0ud0ntkn0wjack

y0ud0ntkn0wjack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:12 PM

I know that DirecTV will not allow you to transfer access cards to different receivers. A friend of mine is giving me two of his receivers that he owns. Would anyone happen to know if I would be able to activate these receivers under my account with the same access card he used which are no longer activated on his account that was in good standing. I figured I'd ask here before I called and asked them.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:09 PM

I've done that with 2 DTivo units I bought on eBay. They transferred the old access cards to my account without any question.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5
Series 2.5 DTivos 6.1a x 2
HR10-250s 6.3b: x 2

#3 OFFLINE   y0ud0ntkn0wjack

y0ud0ntkn0wjack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:22 PM

Thanks. I hope they don't give me any problems. I've already installed the wire myself and got the receivers for free rather than paying $49 and commit to another year of service.

#4 OFFLINE   idlehands

idlehands

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:11 PM

Thanks. I hope they don't give me any problems. I've already installed the wire myself and got the receivers for free rather than paying $49 and commit to another year of service.

So how'd it go and which receiver are you using?

#5 OFFLINE   y0ud0ntkn0wjack

y0ud0ntkn0wjack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:45 PM

They let me transfer the D10 I placed in a spare room after 10 minutes of the rep trying to get me to buy a new receiver from them with free installation but I have already installed cabling and don't have to commit to another year. The only thing I don't get is in their customer agreement, it says access cards can not be transferred but they didn't say anything about it.

#6 OFFLINE   Xram

Xram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:23 PM

Make sure that your receivers are listed as owned and not leased. When they activate them, the default is to mark them as leased.

#7 OFFLINE   y0ud0ntkn0wjack

y0ud0ntkn0wjack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:36 PM

Make sure that your receivers are listed as owned and not leased. When the activate them the default is to mark them as leased.

Thanks, I'll need to make sure it says additional receiver on my next statement next month and not leased receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   Xram

Xram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:18 PM

Thanks, I'll need to make sure it says additional receiver on my next statement next month and not leased receiver.

You can check online now under recent account activity. (if you are registered on directv.com)

#9 OFFLINE   y0ud0ntkn0wjack

y0ud0ntkn0wjack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:57 PM

Yea, forgot about that. It is owned by me, Additional Receiver with a prorated charge. Thanks again.

#10 OFFLINE   idlehands

idlehands

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:41 PM

Make sure that your receivers are listed as owned and not leased. When they activate them, the default is to mark them as leased.

I'm logged on their site now, where does it say whether you are leased or owned? I just replaced my d11 yesterday with an old one I own and I asked her if I'm leasing my old receiver or if I own it and she said it's mine. I looked at "activity since last bill" and theres nothing about the change. If I look in "my systems" I can see they changed the receivers out but it doesn't say anything about leased or owned.

#11 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:27 PM

The old web site use to display annual commitment but I do not see that in addition to leased vs owned status. Where are these on their new site?
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5

#12 OFFLINE   y0ud0ntkn0wjack

y0ud0ntkn0wjack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:50 PM

When you view recent activity it will list your charges. For example, I have 2 owned receivers and 1 leased receiver. It's 4.99 per receiver. Leased receiver will say - "Leased Receiver Fee" - 4.99, and Owned receivers will says - "Additional Receiver" - 4.99. If that does not show under your recent activity, just email them and they will tell you which receivers you own and which receivers are leased.

They'll respond with an answer similar to this as I inquired months back.

Thanks for writing and letting us know your concerns about your equipment. When I reviewed your account, I found that you own two of your receivers with the access card numbers ___________ and __________, and that you are leasing the receiver with access card number ____________.

If you decide you want to own your DIRECTV System instead of leasing directly from us, select retailers may offer this option. Your best bet is to check with individual retailers. To find one nearest you, please visit our web site at DIRECTV.com/retailers and enter your zip code in the lookup field. Please note that not all of these retailers may offer a purchase option.

The blank spaces will be your access card numbers. Hope that helped.

#13 OFFLINE   y0ud0ntkn0wjack

y0ud0ntkn0wjack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:47 PM

I'm logged on their site now, where does it say whether you are leased or owned? I just replaced my d11 yesterday with an old one I own and I asked her if I'm leasing my old receiver or if I own it and she said it's mine. I looked at "activity since last bill" and theres nothing about the change. If I look in "my systems" I can see they changed the receivers out but it doesn't say anything about leased or owned.

Next billing cycle will tell you the charges. When you replace a receiver, there is not another charge because you were already charged at the beginning of the month($4.99). If you added a receiver, there would be a prorated charge. I added a receiver on the 10th of July and my cycle begins on the 5th so I was charged 4.32 for the remainder of the month.

#14 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:17 PM

When you view recent activity it will list your charges. For example, I have 2 owned receivers and 1 leased receiver. It's 4.99 per receiver. Leased receiver will say - "Leased Receiver Fee" - 4.99, and Owned receivers will says - "Additional Receiver" - 4.99. If that does not show under your recent activity, just email them and they will tell you which receivers you own and which receivers are leased.

They'll respond with an answer similar to this as I inquired months back.

The blank spaces will be your access card numbers. Hope that helped.

But if your Primary receiver is leased you won't see anything will you? I just added a new HR10 the beginning of July and for some reason that was put in place as my primary. It's also my only leased receiver.
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5

#15 OFFLINE   y0ud0ntkn0wjack

y0ud0ntkn0wjack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:24 PM

But if your Primary receiver is leased you won't see anything will you? I just added a new HR10 the beginning of July and for some reason that was put in place as my primary. It's also my only leased receiver.

Correct. In that case, for somebody who did not know if it was leased or owned, they would need to email or call if you want to wait on hold and its that important to them.

#16 OFFLINE   idlehands

idlehands

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:01 AM

This is the email response I got. I don't understand how I could be under leased when I bought this thing and it's an old receiver not the new ones that are out now. The customer rep I spoke with while replacing the receivers said I owned it and now the email department are saying I don't? WTF

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry for the confusion about your receivers. When I reviewed your account, I showed that your receivers are leased.

Customers who are setting up their DIRECTV service for the first time, or current customers who upgrade or add a DIRECTV receiver will lease that equipment from DIRECTV instead of buying it.

You continue to own your current DIRECTV equipment and any Additional Receiver Fees you pay to mirror your monthly programming to all your TV’s will still apply. The only differences for you are that:

1. You will no longer need to purchase equipment when you add receivers or upgrade your DIRECTV system.
2. You will be charged a monthly lease fee for any receivers you add or upgrade instead of paying an additional receiver fee

And the great news is that leasing will offer you a substantial savings compared to the true cost of buying the equipment.

Please check our web site directv.com for complete details about this exciting new program.

Sincerely,

Portia
DIRECTV Customer Service

#17 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:58 PM

idlehands,

I would contact the access card department and get the owned equipment on their books as such. The access card people seem to be the ones who are able to sort this out properly.

#18 OFFLINE   Wolffpack

Wolffpack

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:33 PM

And the great news is that leasing will offer you a substantial savings compared to the true cost of buying the equipment.

How do they arrive at this when the pricing hasen't changed since leasing started?? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Series 2 DTivos 6.2 x 5

#19 OFFLINE   idlehands

idlehands

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:18 PM

Well, I called them up and didn't find any Access card department, but got through to the people who activate equipment. I asked them if I'm leased or owned and they said leased. So I explained the situation and said that the receiver I had just replaced the D11 with is owned and that I had bought it. They put me on hold to do some stuff on their computers called "escalator" or something. They said the change from lease to owned will take effect in 2 business days. I asked how I would find out the status and they said I should call back in a couple of days. So I asked what I should do with the old d11 and she got confused because on my records, theres only 2 receivers. So I guess I just keep it? It's useless to me though. Anyway, does that conversation sound about right as far as changing leased to owned?

#20 OFFLINE   y0ud0ntkn0wjack

y0ud0ntkn0wjack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:28 PM

Well, I called them up and didn't find any Access card department, but got through to the people who activate equipment. I asked them if I'm leased or owned and they said leased. So I explained the situation and said that the receiver I had just replaced the D11 with is owned and that I had bought it. They put me on hold to do some stuff on their computers called "escalator" or something. They said the change from lease to owned will take effect in 2 business days. I asked how I would find out the status and they said I should call back in a couple of days. So I asked what I should do with the old d11 and she got confused because on my records, theres only 2 receivers. So I guess I just keep it? It's useless to me though. Anyway, does that conversation sound about right as far as changing leased to owned?

It should have been listed as owned in the first place but many reps do make those mistakes when adding/replacing a receiver. I don't see why it would take 2 days though. :confused: Just call and check back to confirm that its owned.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...