Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D11 Receiver blows

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   idlehands

idlehands

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:02 AM

I recently signed up and am committed to 1 year with directv. They installed a couple of D11 receivers for me. I've had it about a week now and I've noticed anytime I watch a program, there'd be some video glitches. Not pixelation, but like a wobble in the video for a split second or like a jiggle. This happens randomly throughout whatever I'm watching. It could be 20 minutes into the program, and it will occur randomly in spots. It's pissing me off. Signal strength is good, used the x1004 software then just upgraded to x1007 and the same crap happens. It's like this receiver is just glitch proned or something.

So... I wanted to know since I'm still under contract and I'm leasing these receivers, would I be able to call them and have them cancel the boxes they signed me up with and replace it with an old box I bought and have them activate the old box with the access card I've been using on the D11 and not be charged? I'm most certain this is the problem of the D11.

Just last week I was watching the Gatti-Baldomir fight on HBO and that stupid video glitch kept jiggling every here and there. I was recording it too so I had to keep recording the replays and watch all 2 hours of that repeated crap and the glitches still occured in different random spots.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   y0ud0ntkn0wjack

y0ud0ntkn0wjack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:37 AM

I recently upgraded a receiver to a D11-300. I had a pixelation problem with my D11-300 and they sent a tech out but it wasn't doing it while he was there so he said just leave it like it is. It would do it randomly. It hasn't done it since and that may be because I re-ran my wire because my installer used an existing wire that was 9 yrs old and had exposed shielding and has been walked all over for a good while. I doubt its your wire if you just had it installed. I do beleive there are quite a few glitched D11 receivers. Mine will not update to the x1007. It gives me the same old error everytime. I called and they told me that forced update can cause some problems and to wait a few more days to see if it had updated and call back and a tech will troubleshoot to see if he can solve it. So now I am waiting to see if it updates. Thats beside the point.
I'm not an expert but from my understanding of the leasing policy, they should replace it free of charge with one that is the same or his similar to the receivers you already have if you give them a reason that its messed up. They most likely will not take them back and replace them with older models but if so, I've never had any problems with the D10. Not sure about shipping though. Most likely if you call them while its working, its going to be hard to get them to replace it but if somehow you can call them while its doing it which may be hard, you have a better chance at getting them to replace it. Try giving them a call and see what they say about it. Hopefully that answered your question.

[Edit] Also, what is your signal strength?

#3 OFFLINE   Jasen

Jasen

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:47 AM

did you try the force download 02468 on your reciver?
Directv Tivo
R15

#4 OFFLINE   idlehands

idlehands

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:21 AM

I hit the reset button and punched in the numbers and it downloaded the x1007. It didn't matter if it was at it's default x1004 or the new x1007, the stupid problem still exists.

I don't know what good sending out a tech will do since they are stupid and once he sees the tv it will look perfect. He's gonna have to sit there and really watch a program for him to see the problem. Because there are subtle video twitching or jiggling glitches for split seconds at a time in random. It's really effin pissing me off. These stupid receivers are junk, how is it their older stuff perform better is beyond me.

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:55 AM

Is it the same D11 that is glitching? Or both of them?
Certain channels? Or all Channels?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   idlehands

idlehands

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:17 AM

Is it the same D11 that is glitching? Or both of them?
Certain channels? Or all Channels?

I've noticed it on both receivers. I don't know if it's on all or most channels since I only watched a few channels. I hardly watch tv. Just boxing and football. So on 7/14 I was watching ESPN Friday Night Fights and noticed the glitches. I thought ahhh maybe it's just a problem that sometimes occurs with digital tv. Then on 7/15 I was watching the HBO fight but I didn't notice it because I wasn't really watching. So I decided to watch it on HBO2 on 7/16 at 6 am. I was recording it and about maybe 15 minutes into it, it started happening. And it would happen throughout the whole program at random moments. Pissed me off so I erased the recording and decided to catch the next repeat. Same thing happened again but on diff spots. Now I'm really fuming. I'm watching a program that is boring and I have to watch it from beginning to end just to see if the recording goes well. I catch the next replay the same night on HBO2 west and I think it aired fine except maybe a few spots I may have missed due to falling asleep. So then, there was another boxing show on OLN on 7/27, I was watching it and saw the crap happen again on the different receiver. I got pissed off and decided to watch it again at the replay 2 hours later on the main receiver I already saw the problems on. And lo and behold it happens again. So now I'm really steaming and contemplating trying to replace the receivers with the old ones I bought, but I don't want to go through the hassle with dtv's idiot customer service reps, so I hold off and make excuses like maybe it's not a receiver problem but just problems at DTV satellites.

Then just last night 7/28 they were doing a boxing card on Showtime. And guess what, same thing. I watched the original airing on ShoE, and then the replay on ShoW and I still got those glitches in different spots. That was the last straw that pushed me into making this thread. There is another boxing program tonight on HBO and I'm pretty certain I'll be pissed tonight.

Basically, I just signed up a week ago for the NFL Package. I'm locked for 12 months. I just want to be able to call them up and tell them to replace my current crappy leased box with an OWNED used box I bought and marry the access card from my current box to the older box I owned. I really don't want to deal with them trying to charge me a penalty or 20 extra for the access cards.

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,812 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:34 PM

What output/connection are you using (rf/composite/s-video)? Have you tried a different interface to see what happens?

Carl

#8 OFFLINE   idlehands

idlehands

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:08 PM

What output/connection are you using (rf/composite/s-video)? Have you tried a different interface to see what happens?

Carl

I'm using S-Video on all of them.

So I watched the HBO boxing program tonight and had all kinds of video glitches as usual. I got so mad I just decided to call DTV up and asked them I wanted to replace my current receiver with an old one I have laying around. She was such a sweetheart and fixed me up in minutes. Asked for the access card number, and model and serial of the receiver I wanted to use and now I'm up and running. I'll have to test the replay in 25 minutes on HBO-W to see if it really was the D-11 causing the problem. I've used old boxes before at my roomates house with no problems. It's too bad, I was actually starting to get used to the D11's layout and features. I also liked that it was so small and compact and had fast EPG. Oh well, what good is it if it keeps hiccuping the video.

Another cool thing is I'm not leasing anything so that's always a plus. No penalty charges or $20 bogus access card fees. She was transferring me to the department that sends out boxes so I can return their receiver but they were closed. Should I call them back during regular hours or do I not need to? Would they charge me for having their receiver around even if it's not activated?

#9 OFFLINE   idlehands

idlehands

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:45 AM

Test completed. I just finished watching the tape delay boxing program on HBO-W which ran about 2:08. Guess what? NO PROBLEMS! So it was the receiver just as I thought.

Now I want to know why I was having those problems with those D11-500 with x1004 and x1007 directv boxes? Is this an isolated problem or is this a known issue or is most people just content with what they have and don't notice like I do?

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:18 AM

Tape delay... You watched it on the D11?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   techNoodle

techNoodle

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:19 AM

D11-300... Mine will not update to the x1007. It gives me the same old error everytime. I called and they told me that forced update can cause some problems and to wait a few more days to see if it had updated and call back and a tech will troubleshoot to see if he can solve it. So now I am waiting to see if it updates.

[Edit] Also, what is your signal strength?

:) Force the update all you want as there is no new software for the D11, at least not yet. Not sure why CS told you to wait as they should have known this.

Tech

spam firewall