Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How does a slingbox work?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   igator99

igator99

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:27 PM

I'm curious I've read what CC has about theirs but I can't figure out the technology. Is it simply a DVR? How could I hook it up to a TV in let's say Chicago and get their TV in New Orleans?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wjarrettc

wjarrettc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:40 PM

I'm curious I've read what CC has about theirs but I can't figure out the technology. Is it simply a DVR? How could I hook it up to a TV in let's say Chicago and get their TV in New Orleans?

I do not have a Slingbox but I believe that it is simply a real-time video encoder that takes a TV signal from any source (say, the output from your satellite receiver that you typically route to your TV), encodes it, and then streams it over HTTP protocol to a computer on the internet.

I suspect that it has something like an IR Blaster that allows you to change the satellite channel remotely through software as well.

#3 OFFLINE   igator99

igator99

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:57 PM

I do not have a Slingbox but I believe that it is simply a real-time video encoder that takes a TV signal from any source (say, the output from your satellite receiver that you typically route to your TV), encodes it, and then streams it over HTTP protocol to a computer on the internet.

I suspect that it has something like an IR Blaster that allows you to change the satellite channel remotely through software as well.

I found this link.
http://www.cnet.com/...-5619284-1.html

#4 OFFLINE   jfalkingham

jfalkingham

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:59 PM

It's a great device, I love having it, I travel 3 days a week so I like access to my home tivo. 1 problem, what you are watching, everyone at home at that tv is watching too, so it literally is a rebroadcast of your tv screen over the 'net, not a virtual TV experience.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,057 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:02 AM

The Slingbox is a device that has inputs for either an rf signal (over the air or basic cable), or composite (red-yellow-white) or s-video. You connect whatever your tv source is to the slingbox input. You must have a high speed internet connection (dsl or cable modem for example) at the slingbox location.

At the remote location, you use special software to receive the slingbox feed. Only one person at a time can connect to, and watch, the slingbox. You can't watch it using a regular web browser - you have to use the slingbox viewing software. It runs on Windpows XP and I think they just released a Mac versiion.

If you are using a digital cable box, or a satellite tv receiver, then you must watch the same thing as the local user unless you have a second box that is dedicated to the slingbox.

Picture quality is acceptable - not perfect - under most circumstances. You certainly will not get hi-def but for the most part you get a very watchable picture. The greater the activity (like sports for example), the less perfect the picture, but usually still usable. It is subjective - what are you willing to accept in order to watch the source at a remote location.

You also need a high speed connection at the location you want to watch remotely. Your overall throughput is going to be the lesser of the connection speeds (uplink at the slingbox or downlink at the viewing pc).

Carl

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,303 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:30 AM

Under no circumstances will you get HD -- the highest video input on Slingbox is S-video,
but the PQ on the receiving end is limited by the speed of your download connection.

www.slingbox.com

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:19 AM

I have one and love it. My daughter is going away to collage and will be able to watch and control our DirecTivo on her laptop.

This morning I hooked up my DVD player to show friends and family in Ohio a DVD of my kids skydiving from last Thursday.

It also has a built in OTA tuner in it so you can hook it directly to an antenna.

If you have family in another city, anywhere in the world, it is the solution for them to get their local TV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...