Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Possible move

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Pete

Pete

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 12:13 PM

I have watched this forum for some days and have learned a number of things I did not understand before. But with a little understanding come foolish questions for which I apologize in advance. I am planning a move to far northern New England near the Canadian border (Vermont) after I retire in the near future. I have investigated Directtv's offerings there and learn while there is no local into local TV coverage, I may perhaps qualify for the national feeds of the major networks (With Pegasus). I'm not sure I want them however. I had thought of keeping my DC locals up there but an engineer at one of the Washington Stations tells me that DC is going to a spot beam on or around 16 September so that option is out..
My questions are: Does the spot beam for the Boston stations lands in NE Vermont with enough strength to permit reception? I have not heard very many good comments about Pegasus and I wonder If I could associate with DirectTV instead (their franchise area lies just across the Connecticut River in NH, about a stone's throw away from my house up there) Is this possible? By the way, I have heard that the Dish network is providing local service from the Burlington stations now. I prefer not to switch to dish if I can help it because my T60 Tivo unit was quite expensive and I want to continue to get some use out of it. Thanks for your patience.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 02:38 PM

I do not believe that DirecTV offers the DCor Boston locals as a choice . I belive it is NY/LA only. So where the spot beams reach is not relevant.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#3 OFFLINE   PeterB

PeterB

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 02:59 PM

Yep with DTV you get NYC or LA. Nothing else.

With Dish its NYC LA Dallas Denver Atlanta or Chicago.

Dish also has the Handful of locals that could be jokingly refered to as the "Vermont Locals" but without representation from the Big 4 nets, your better off with NYC.

#4 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 03:43 PM

I think this is the situation

DTV=NY or LA unless of course you could get adequate OTA signal for one or more nets. No UPN or WB.

DISH=VT locals and access to supers and a choice (somewaht) of distant nets if there is no VT DMA affiliate.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#5 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 06:04 PM

Originally posted by PeterB
Dish also has the Handful of locals that could be jokingly refered to as the "Vermont Locals" but without representation from the Big 4 nets, your better off with NYC.

Dish's Vermont locals package includes CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and 2 PBS stations. What do you mean by "Big 4 nets"?
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#6 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 02:57 PM

If the first four are all inluded than you have the Big 4 nets. However when I read the Echotar Knowledge Base page it seeemed to say that the Fox affiliate is NOT available.

DISH would allow you access to the superstations. DTV will not. I suspect neither will sell you any distant nets.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...